Will a pcie v2.1 video card work in a v1.1 slot?

Will a pcie v2.1 video card work in a v1.1 slot?

More specifically, will a AMD HD 6950/6970 work in a v1.1 slot? Has anybody tried it yet?

(I'm using a Asus P5W DH Deluxe (Intel 975X) motherboard.)
7 answers Last reply
More about will pcie video card work slot
  1. Yeah it will work but what cpu do you have? I see a major bottleneck coming.
  2. Yea, C2D E6400 @ 2.8 Ghz. However, the plan would be to eventually move the card over to a new build. Other than not being able to take full advantage of the cards capabilities, what negative effects would I encounter?
  3. If you are playing at lower res then 1920x1080 it could bottleneck so badly that card would act lik ea 30$ card lol, other then that it will be ok till you move to new computer.
  4. There have been people who reported problems with a PCI-e 2.1 card in a PCI-e 1.x slot.

Some have stated it is caused by poor implementation of the PCI-e 1.x standard on the motherboard or the chipset. It may or may not work.
  5. I've personaly ran it and never had an issue but jaguarskx is right it may or may not work i would upgrade the rest of your computer before the gpu. IMO
  6. I have a same problem! I bought MSI AMD Radeon HD 6670 2GB GDDR3 but it dont work good. i have pci express x16 1.1 and the gpu is 2.1
    It has a reduce of perfomance.i was wanted to play far cry 3 and it didnt play at 60 FPS at 1024x768!!!! You kidding me? Game debate it says that ti plays!!!
    PLZ some help! Do i have to change a motherboard?

http://www.game-debate.com/

System Spec--> Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GH/z
    AMD Radeon HD 6670 2GB MSI
    GA-946GMX-S2
    3GB RAM
    Windows 7 Ultimate 32 Bit
  7. @tsilis, That's not bottlenecking. Far Cry 3 is a hefty game, and the 6670 ddr3 is between 10-20% crummier than the GDDR5 version.

@OP Yeah, but sometimes no. I say go for it, but keep in mind that the 6950 may saturate the 1.1 slot's bandwidth.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics