Scanning 35mm slides?

Is there any way I can scan old 35mm slides successfully with my
standard (AstraSlim) scanner on my XP PC please? Efforts so far with
combinations of high resolution, varied brightess/contrast, white
sheet behind, etc, have all produced muddy blurs.

I see some scanners come with a 'slide adaptor'. What exactly are
these, and can they be obtained separately, or even improvised?

Alternatively, anyone successfully used other ways of digitising these
old slides please? How about the combination of one of those portable,
battery-powered slide holders, or a normal screen/wall projector,
together with digicam on a tripod?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK
13 answers Last reply

    Terry Pinnell <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> writes:

    > Is there any way I can scan old 35mm slides successfully with my
    > standard (AstraSlim) scanner on my XP PC please? Efforts so far with
    > combinations of high resolution, varied brightess/contrast, white
    > sheet behind, etc, have all produced muddy blurs.
    >
    > I see some scanners come with a 'slide adaptor'. What exactly are
    > these, and can they be obtained separately, or even improvised?

    It's a light source that goes on the other side of the slide from the
    sensor. For my scanner, it was a separately purchased add-on, so at
    least sometimes they can be obtained separately. A brute force one
    could be improvised, I'd think.

    You need a light source behind the slide to get a decent scan.
    Running the light through the slide, bouncing off a white thing, and
    back through the slide again doesn't work well; the result is to dim
    and if you solved that, it would then be too contrasty.

    > Alternatively, anyone successfully used other ways of digitising these
    > old slides please? How about the combination of one of those portable,
    > battery-powered slide holders, or a normal screen/wall projector,
    > together with digicam on a tripod?

    Yes, that works, to some degree. It depends on what resolution and
    degree of perfection you need in the results.
    --
    David Dyer-Bennet, <mailto:dd-b@dd-b.net>, <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>

    What you really need is a dedicated slide scanners. A compromise would be a
    scanner with a proper slide adaptor.

    I have a friend that used a Kodak slide viewer, and a small digital camera.
    He cleaned it up very well, and made a box with a proper mounting for it. He
    can mount his camera on it, and use it in the macro mode, to take pictures.
    The results are not as good as a slide scanner, but on a computer monitor,
    they don't look too bad. When the results are printed at 5 X 7, some of them
    are almost border line acceptable.

    --

    Jerry G.
    ======

    "Terry Pinnell" <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> wrote in message
    Is there any way I can scan old 35mm slides successfully with my
    standard (AstraSlim) scanner on my XP PC please? Efforts so far with
    combinations of high resolution, varied brightess/contrast, white
    sheet behind, etc, have all produced muddy blurs.

    I see some scanners come with a 'slide adaptor'. What exactly are
    these, and can they be obtained separately, or even improvised?

    Alternatively, anyone successfully used other ways of digitising these
    old slides please? How about the combination of one of those portable,
    battery-powered slide holders, or a normal screen/wall projector,
    together with digicam on a tripod?

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK

    You don't say what kind of camera you have, but I've seen these
    advertised for years for both film (to get negs) and digital. I have
    no idea what sort of quality they produce, since I've never used one.
    I do seem to remember that they were said to do a pretty fair job, but
    maybe somebody with recent experience could steer you in the right
    direction regarding their use. I also see them on EBay pretty cheap.
    I'd like to know for my own benefit as well, as I have quite a few
    boxes of slides that need to be digitized:

    http://shop.store.yahoo.com/specialtyphotographic/slcofornico5.html

    l have a somewhat similar outfit for my Oly 2020 and 5060 and with good
    lighting (I use a high intensity light) get results approximately equal
    to those obtained from my very good Epson scanner. It takes a little
    practice (I find I need to open up my aperture a bit) and you may have
    to do some color balancing in your editing software, but it is much
    faster than using the scanner. The advantage of a good scanner is that
    you can preview the slide for color adjustment before actual scanning.
    Incidentally, I get good results at 1600 or 1200x, certainly good
    enough for 4x6's and, probably 5x7's. In the SHQ mode of the 5060 can
    get
    a bit more.

    When you're done scanning, keep track of the slide and digital image
    with PhotoLibrary . Check out a free demo at
    http://www.PhotoLibrarySoftware.com/

    pete

    "Terry Pinnell" <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> a écrit dans le message
    de news:543o21d8rtc854lb4b2a8451i6h4dkmlcv@4ax.com...
    > Is there any way I can scan old 35mm slides successfully with my
    > standard (AstraSlim) scanner on my XP PC please? Efforts so far with
    > combinations of high resolution, varied brightess/contrast, white
    > sheet behind, etc, have all produced muddy blurs.
    >
    > I see some scanners come with a 'slide adaptor'. What exactly are
    > these, and can they be obtained separately, or even improvised?
    >
    > Alternatively, anyone successfully used other ways of digitising these
    > old slides please? How about the combination of one of those portable,
    > battery-powered slide holders, or a normal screen/wall projector,
    > together with digicam on a tripod?
    >

    > --
    > Terry, West Sussex, UK

    There are inexpensive slide/film scanners like the
    PrimeFilm 1800u made by Pacific Image Electronics
    http://www.scanace.com/en/product/1800u.php

    Be the judge :

    Diapos and some negative scans:
    http://dhost.info/photocanon/diapos/index.htm

    Only Kodak and Agfa negatives scans:
    http://dhost.info/photocanon/mai1968/index.htm

    --
    M.

    Bite the bullet Terry, new scanners even with slide attachements are not
    expensive.

    Terry Pinnell wrote:

    > Is there any way I can scan old 35mm slides successfully with my
    > standard (AstraSlim) scanner on my XP PC please? Efforts so far with
    > combinations of high resolution, varied brightess/contrast, white
    > sheet behind, etc, have all produced muddy blurs.
    >
    > I see some scanners come with a 'slide adaptor'. What exactly are
    > these, and can they be obtained separately, or even improvised?
    >
    > Alternatively, anyone successfully used other ways of digitising these
    > old slides please? How about the combination of one of those portable,
    > battery-powered slide holders, or a normal screen/wall projector,
    > together with digicam on a tripod?

    Usually these adapters consist of a seperate light source in the cover,
    a holder to hold the film or slide in a specific spot in the scanner
    field, and some software to process negs and slides differently, and
    both different from normal reflected source processing.

    To scan a slide, a flatbed scanner must illuminate the subject from above,
    i.e. a scanner built for the job has a light built into the lid. Trying to
    scan any other way just won't work. String engineering doesn't really work
    either. I would suggest paying a visit to someone like jessops for a new
    scanner, or if it's a one off job sub it out.

    I know this probably isn't the answer that your looking for, but, if you
    don't use the correct tool for the job, you will spend years regretting it.

    By the way, how old and how many slides?

    John D

    www.celticgods.co.uk

    "John DH" <nospammJohn@celticgods.co.uknospamm> wrote:

    >To scan a slide, a flatbed scanner must illuminate the subject from above,
    >i.e. a scanner built for the job has a light built into the lid. Trying to
    >scan any other way just won't work. String engineering doesn't really work
    >either. I would suggest paying a visit to someone like jessops for a new
    >scanner, or if it's a one off job sub it out.
    >
    >I know this probably isn't the answer that your looking for, but, if you
    >don't use the correct tool for the job, you will spend years regretting it.
    >
    >By the way, how old and how many slides?
    >
    >John D

    Thanks both. Looks like a lost cause then! Maybe a new scanner...

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK

    "Jerry G." <jerryg50@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >What you really need is a dedicated slide scanners. A compromise would be a
    >scanner with a proper slide adaptor.
    >
    >I have a friend that used a Kodak slide viewer, and a small digital camera.
    >He cleaned it up very well, and made a box with a proper mounting for it. He
    >can mount his camera on it, and use it in the macro mode, to take pictures.
    >The results are not as good as a slide scanner, but on a computer monitor,
    >they don't look too bad. When the results are printed at 5 X 7, some of them
    >are almost border line acceptable.
    >
    >--
    >
    >Jerry G.
    >======

    David, Jerry : Thanks, very helpful. I'll experiment a little first,
    then report back.

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK

    If there were one of these that fits different cameras that would be nice. I
    see an added benefit of getting a better copy each time you get a better
    camera. These things were well known 30 years ago as slide copiers. I used
    them then and were happy.

    In article <KXYWd.7445$Gn2.947015@weber.videotron.net>,
    "Maquereau" <lamer@boire.net> wrote:

    > "Terry Pinnell" <terrypinDELETE@THESEdial.pipex.com> a écrit dans le message
    > de news:543o21d8rtc854lb4b2a8451i6h4dkmlcv@4ax.com...
    > > Is there any way I can scan old 35mm slides successfully with my
    > > standard (AstraSlim) scanner on my XP PC please? Efforts so far with
    > > combinations of high resolution, varied brightess/contrast, white
    > > sheet behind, etc, have all produced muddy blurs.
    > >
    > > I see some scanners come with a 'slide adaptor'. What exactly are
    > > these, and can they be obtained separately, or even improvised?
    > >
    > > Alternatively, anyone successfully used other ways of digitising these
    > > old slides please? How about the combination of one of those portable,
    > > battery-powered slide holders, or a normal screen/wall projector,
    > > together with digicam on a tripod?
    > >

    > > --
    > > Terry, West Sussex, UK
    >

    > There are inexpensive slide/film scanners like the
    > PrimeFilm 1800u made by Pacific Image Electronics
    > http://www.scanace.com/en/product/1800u.php
    >
    > Be the judge :
    >
    > Diapos and some negative scans:
    > http://dhost.info/photocanon/diapos/index.htm
    >
    > Only Kodak and Agfa negatives scans:
    > http://dhost.info/photocanon/mai1968/index.htm

    I bought the Primefilm scanner a few years back and was VERY satisfied
    with the result. A certain amount of preparation before scanning will
    save time later. Wiping the slide with a damp, lint free cloth
    (spectacle cloth) will remove a lot of dust - at 1800 dpi the scans
    blown up to 300% there seems huge amounts of spots. But the healing tool
    will take care of a lot of this. Tramlines are something else.

    Don't bother with the combined flatbed/film scanners - results are far
    inferior to film only scanners. The Minolta Dimage IV is another idea,
    but more expensive and far more time consuming unless you're only doing
    carefully selected slides but the Dimage will handle APS films.

Scanners Cameras