Sign in with
Your question

Should I even try the stock cooler? (i5 2500k)

Last response: in CPUs
September 15, 2011 8:05:38 PM

So I have fallen prey to the call of the siren and ordered my I5 2500k, I switched to AMD since I the days of a intel P4 2.8ghz northwood (about 6 yrs now) but I can't wait for bulldozer anymore and the performance from everything I see makes the 2500k a legendary processor. Anyway, my 2500k it will arrive in a few days and I still have some questions...

1. Everything i read said to get an aftermarket cooler, I have a mid tower case and I can fit a 92MM cooling solution so I ordered a Coolermaster TX3. I am wondering if I should even try the stock cooler. The reason I say this is because I am using an antec 300 case which has excellent ventilation for my 2500k build, I am also using an antec 300 case with another computer that has a Phenom II 555 3.2 ghz (not overclocked) but it runs at 25 degrees C idle and like 40 under load. These cooler temperatures got me thinking. I only plan on doing a minor overclock, to about 4ghz (on the 2500k) so if the stock cooler works on the 2500k in this scenario I can send the other cooler back and save some $. Am I mad to try this? Do you think I need a better cooler than stock for a 4ghz overclock?

2. What do I do with my old Phenom X4 9750 machine? I am told I will see quite a performance jump so I wont need it anymore.

More about : stock cooler 2500k

September 15, 2011 8:08:50 PM

You can definitely use it.

Some review sites have even used the stock heatsink to get to 4-4.2GHz
a b à CPUs
September 15, 2011 8:38:04 PM

There's nothing wrong with the stock heatsink except that its probably louder than most aftermarket coolers. But why bother if you've already ordered the TX3?

For overclocking the heatsink you've chosen will be better than stock. You will have better temps and isn't piece of mind worth 30 bucks?

As for the other machine, I would consider giving it to a friend or family member that could use it. Its not a bad machine and would make someone very happy.

Otherwise I would sell it on craigslist for a couple hundred and make some quick cash, maybe for a graphics upgrade.
Related resources
September 15, 2011 8:38:52 PM

do you currently use two computers? i asked the same question after a buddy gave me some parts, and i built a second rig.
now i cant live without it.

i game on rig #1. its my baby. i rarely even use an exploerer on it, just steam, and some assorted games.
on rig 2, i do everything else, movies, facebook, music office stuff .
i like this as when i am gaming, no longer have to minimize, or exit to do things. its a bit overkill i guess, but it also keeps the girlfriend off my gaming rig.

some folks also turn their old rgs into HTPC's home theater PC. id dont really know much about it, and i use comcast, so their stuff is encrypted, dont know how to use a dvr in an HTPC set up.
September 15, 2011 8:57:46 PM

yeah giving to a friend or family member is a good idea. although the evil side of me would like to sell it and run SLI for the first time :) 
a b à CPUs
September 15, 2011 10:01:36 PM

I always recommend a good aftermarket cooler if you are going beyond stock speeds. You can try the stock cooler since you are doing a pretty modest overclock. Also consider that we recommend running prime95 for extended lengths of time to make sure your machine is stable and for checking temperatures, but not everybody actually stresses their cpu that way when working with the computer. You actual use might not generate as much heat as running prime95 for long periods of time. With possibly marginal cooling it would be necessary to check temperatures with your exact configuration of cpu, cooler, and software to determine if it is acceptable.

I have also compared a stock cooler with an aftermarket cooler in one instance. The aftermarket cooler on an overclocked cpu ran cooler than the stock cooler at stock speeds.
a c 188 à CPUs
September 15, 2011 10:09:33 PM

The stock HSF (heatsink/fan) on the Intel® Core™ i5-2500K will work fine up to a mild overclock, but much more than that I would advise that you pick up a good 3rd party cooler to deal with anything at 4GHz or above. Really if you are doing anything over stock get a better cooler.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
!