Amd phenom ii x4 925

Status
Not open for further replies.

4870x2card

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
hi i have a hp pavilion elite hpe-112y desktop at home. i've been having trouble with my cpu lately, i have been having some heat problems where when i first got it it was at about 40-50c and that was with nothing on. now i turn it on and it immediately jumps to 80-90c and im not doing anything. i turned it off first time it happened and put new thermal paste on and put a more powerful fan on and it still was at 80-90c. so i think the cpu might be faulty or something any info is much appreciated.

Solution
Check the following:

1. Heatsink fan is operational
2. Heatsink is properly attached
3. No dust build-up on heatsink
4. Case fans are operational

It would also be a good idea to use at least three different sources for reading your temps. I would download and use the following free software:

1. SpeedFan
2. HW Monitor
3. Everest
Check the following:

1. Heatsink fan is operational
2. Heatsink is properly attached
3. No dust build-up on heatsink
4. Case fans are operational

It would also be a good idea to use at least three different sources for reading your temps. I would download and use the following free software:

1. SpeedFan
2. HW Monitor
3. Everest

Solution
It would be helpful to have some more detailed system specs.
I also have experienced some out of control thermals, which resulted in a burned out CPU. I thought I had it isolated to CPU, as replacing the processor (X4 940BE) seemed to resolve the situation. After about a month I started having heat issues again, this time with an X3 720BE.
I replaced my 790 GX mobo with a new one and this resolved the overheating issues.

I'll mention some things to try first, unless you've already done these. Open your case and thoroughly clean out all dust bunnies. Make sure to pay particular attention to heat sinks and fans. Ensure all fans are running properly and replace as necessary. Check your cables to ensure good airflow on your case.

Check other temps, is your motherboard system temp high? Are you having any other issues other than the CPU overheating? Is this the CPU your PC came with, or is it an upgrade?

Your CPU will not last long at 80C. It is designed to go core temp as high as 60C. I would leave it off for now, unless investigating causes.

computernugget

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2011
if you replaced the thermal paste and the fan and the temps are still high....hmmmm download the sorftware T_T suggested and check those. chances are the sensor is malfunctioning.

if the cpu were to be faulty then i think you would get crashes and restarts.....i think.

Status
Not open for further replies.