Sign in with
Your question

Can't overclock 3960x on rampage iv extreme

Last response: in Motherboards
June 5, 2012 7:29:49 PM

hey there. I'm having trouble overclocking this i7 3960x on the asus rampage iv extreme motherboard. i tried just loading the small overclock profiles and even the cpu level up thing. whenevere i overclock even the smallest amount the display turns off. when i overclock from the bios the computer shuts off then restarts on it's own but the display never comes on and the computer eventually shuts down and turns itself on again. I have also tried manually overclocking by adjusting the frequency and voltage as i usually do but that didn't work either.

any ideas?

Thank you

this is what's in my computer

Asus rampage iv extreme
i7 3960x
OCZ 1250 W psu
geforce gtx 690
g skill 2400 mhz 32GB 4x8
ocz agility 3 ssd 240 GB
corsair h100 liquid cooling
a c 716 V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
June 5, 2012 8:59:43 PM

Welcome to Tom's Forum! :) 

OC what?? CPU, RAM or GPU??
m
l
June 6, 2012 1:15:55 AM

I was wondering does the computer run stable at stock settings?
I think your referring to OC'ing the CPU right? That's what this means, "hey there. I'm having trouble overclocking this i7 3960x on the asus rampage iv extreme motherboard".

You have a lot of RAM on that puppy did you check it with "Memtest', a bad stick of ram will do that. Temps OK? Power supply is adequate ?
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
June 6, 2012 2:14:53 AM

Intels new CPUs have to be multiplyer overclocked.
Overclocing the old FSB way will not work.
Look at the stickie posts in the overclocking forum.
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
June 6, 2012 1:01:13 PM

You can OC the SB-E locked or not using the CPU Strap, but never the BCLK. Unlike the SB/LGA 1155 with a single clock the SB-E/LGA 2011 offers (2) clocks: BCLK for the PCIe, SATA, etc (leave at 100MHz) and CPU Strap which is fine on most MOBO's up to 133MHz and on some 'maybe' 160MHz.

However, as @Rick_Criswell pointed-out both the i7-3930K and i7-3960X have unlocked CPU Multipliers and that's what you need to adjust along with a few other BIOS settings: vCore, CPU Multiplier, LLC, Phase control and a few others and at various levels depending on the target OC.
m
l
June 8, 2012 1:06:01 AM

hey thanks for the feedback. sorry i wasn't clear. it is the processor i'm trying to overclock. it runs fine at stock settings. my psu is 1250 watts ocz 80 plus gold. i tried using the rampage boards pre set overclok profiles. there is normal o.c., gamer o.c. and extreme o.c. any setting causes this problem. but as long as i leave everything default it runs. i even adjusted to multiplier and voltage myself but got same problem.
m
l
a c 716 V Motherboard
a b K Overclocking
June 8, 2012 2:23:38 AM

I've got some idea here - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2261309

Q - What OC are you trying to obtain? You can try the ASUS AI Suite II and let it run, typically you get a 4.4GHz OC using it or manually 5GHz but with a vCore that I don't recommend; keep the vCore <1.45v.

IF using ASUS AI Suite II then don't manually tweak the BIOS.

Q - What manual settings have you tried?
m
l
June 8, 2012 11:47:55 PM

i tried asus ai suite II. as soon as i made the slightest adjustment, my display turned off. the computer stayed on for about 5 mins, powered down, then powered itself back on right away. when it turned back on i still had no display. i had to press the reset cmos button on the mobo to be able to get back to bios or windows. I tried adjusting the bclk and vcore, and i tried adjusting the max frequency for all cores i think.

it's tough cuz it's my friends computer that i built for him so i have no access to it right now. he is just running stock settings. gonna try to get over to try more things this weekend.
m
l
!