Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Nintendo DS, what's the verdict?

Tags:
  • Console Gaming
  • Games
  • Video
  • Nintendo
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
November 21, 2004 5:39:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

Has anyone gotten it yet? Mine's arriving on Monday, but I've seen
many ads in the paper today, so I'm sure more than several of you have
it :)  I'm a little disappointed to see that the release dates for
games like Metroid, Advance Wars and Animal Crossing have been pushed
back so far; AC I think is scheduled now for September of next year,
and I could've sworn I saw it listed as either a December '04 or
January '05 release. And I've also noticed that the games so far,
aside from Mario64, are showing up with mediocre reviews. Anyone have
anything to comment on?

More about : nintendo verdict

November 21, 2004 9:12:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

Hello
I got mine Today and here are my impressions so far.

The case feels a little light for how large it is, and being used to
the SP it is a little big. The screens both have nice resolution and
brightness, not like the original GBA and doesn't seemed washed out
colors wise like the SP can at times. Sound was nice. Better then I
expected. Stylus is a bit small, especially considering how large of a
handheld the unit is. Pictochat is a neat little app and I look
forward to trying it out. The demo of Metroid was nice that came with
it.
I picked up Mario DS and loved it. Great game, almost 100% liek the
original. Some of the graphics are a little lesser quality. The
additional characters are a nice touch. 8 mini games come with it, the
slingshot one for Mario reminds me of missile command.

All in all I am very happy wiht my purchase.

Later





















On 21 Nov 2004 14:39:55 -0800, jcwatchdog@msn.com (Jason Costa) wrote:

>Has anyone gotten it yet? Mine's arriving on Monday, but I've seen
>many ads in the paper today, so I'm sure more than several of you have
>it :)  I'm a little disappointed to see that the release dates for
>games like Metroid, Advance Wars and Animal Crossing have been pushed
>back so far; AC I think is scheduled now for September of next year,
>and I could've sworn I saw it listed as either a December '04 or
>January '05 release. And I've also noticed that the games so far,
>aside from Mario64, are showing up with mediocre reviews. Anyone have
>anything to comment on?
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 2:51:34 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

I posted the story of my hassel of getting one here:
http://www.hdtvarcade.com/hdtvforum/viewtopic.php?t=107...

I also posted my first impressions.


HDTV games lists and discussions
http://www.hdtvarcade.com


"Jason Costa" <jcwatchdog@msn.com> wrote in message
news:37cabe21.0411211439.491ce9e8@posting.google.com...
> Has anyone gotten it yet? Mine's arriving on Monday, but I've seen
> many ads in the paper today, so I'm sure more than several of you have
> it :)  I'm a little disappointed to see that the release dates for
> games like Metroid, Advance Wars and Animal Crossing have been pushed
> back so far; AC I think is scheduled now for September of next year,
> and I could've sworn I saw it listed as either a December '04 or
> January '05 release. And I've also noticed that the games so far,
> aside from Mario64, are showing up with mediocre reviews. Anyone have
> anything to comment on?
Related resources
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 3:48:08 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

On 2004-11-21, Jason Costa <jcwatchdog@msn.com> wrote:
> Has anyone gotten it yet? Mine's arriving on Monday, but I've seen
> many ads in the paper today, so I'm sure more than several of you have
> it :)  I'm a little disappointed to see that the release dates for
> games like Metroid, Advance Wars and Animal Crossing have been pushed
> back so far; AC I think is scheduled now for September of next year,
> and I could've sworn I saw it listed as either a December '04 or
> January '05 release. And I've also noticed that the games so far,
> aside from Mario64, are showing up with mediocre reviews. Anyone have
> anything to comment on?

I tried playing it (borrowed a friends for about 10 minutes). It cramped
my hands up whereas the SP didn't. So I'm not buying one. Too bad.

Preston
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 7:25:10 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

The DS itself is heavy, the plastic feels cheap, and the non-game
interface could definitely use some work (I don't like having to turn
off the system every time I change one little option).

The games are pretty good - I don't much like how you have to play Mario
with the stylus, but other than that it's a good game.

Feel the Magic is utterly brilliant, although I've heard it's pretty
short. As a side note, the Sonic Team GBA games (as well as Space
Channel 5) unlock special wigs in Feel the Magic if you play it while
the GBA cartridge is in the slot. I've got a NiGHTS wig, a Chao wig and
an Ulala wig. I don't have Sonic Advance or Sonic Advance 2, but I'm
assuming they'll be Sonic and Tails.

The minigames are completely absurd, yet fit in perfectly with the game.
Sonic Team absorbed UGA a while back during one of the Sega
restructurings (I think this one was just prior to the merger with
Sammy), and it shows - even without Tetsuya Mizuguchi heading them up,
their style and grace are unmistakable.

After beating a mini-game it gets put in the "Memories" section where
you can play it again to earn stars (which unlock costumes). The big
difference is that there are 5 additional difficulty levels for most of
the minigames - some of them get very challenging.

All in all, I think this is Sonic Team's finest work since Sonic
Adventure. While perhaps not everyone would think it's a killer app,
it's what sold the system for me.

The only other game I can think of that is remotely like it is
Incredible Crisis on the PS1 - a string of bizarre minigames all
relating to a story. That game was fun too, but offered no replay.

Anyway, I've crossposted this to r.g.v.sega since I'm talking about a
relevant game.

Jason Costa wrote:

> Has anyone gotten it yet? Mine's arriving on Monday, but I've seen
> many ads in the paper today, so I'm sure more than several of you have
> it :)  I'm a little disappointed to see that the release dates for
> games like Metroid, Advance Wars and Animal Crossing have been pushed
> back so far; AC I think is scheduled now for September of next year,
> and I could've sworn I saw it listed as either a December '04 or
> January '05 release. And I've also noticed that the games so far,
> aside from Mario64, are showing up with mediocre reviews. Anyone have
> anything to comment on?
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 7:40:56 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

jcwatchdog@msn.com (Jason Costa) wrote in
news:37cabe21.0411211439.491ce9e8@posting.google.com:

> Has anyone gotten it yet? Mine's arriving on Monday, but I've seen
> many ads in the paper today, so I'm sure more than several of you have
> it :)  I'm a little disappointed to see that the release dates for
> games like Metroid, Advance Wars and Animal Crossing have been pushed
> back so far; AC I think is scheduled now for September of next year,
> and I could've sworn I saw it listed as either a December '04 or
> January '05 release. And I've also noticed that the games so far,
> aside from Mario64, are showing up with mediocre reviews. Anyone have
> anything to comment on?
>

I got mine Sunday. Overall I think it has a lot of potential and I'm
happy with the games I've played so far.

The unit overall feels pretty good. It's not as ergonomic as the GBA SP
though (well at least in my hands). The sound quality is very good and
the screens are nice and colorful, bright and of course higher
resolution than the GBA. Regular GBA games get another upgrade in
quality when played on the DS (I shudder to remember how dark and
difficult to play games were on the original GBA).

I only tried the wireless in the shop but the blast I had of Metroid and
a play on pictochat seemed pretty solid - I hope this area gets
developed further.

The touchscreen works well for controls (see metroid and Mario below).
My only concern is scratching over time. At the moment I'm careful with
it but after a while.....

The little thumb attachment helps with control too - pretty nifty idea.
I wonder if Ninty or a 3rd party might release alternative approaches to
the thumb tab....

I've got the usual GBA hand cramps - used to get that with the GBA and
SP though so no surprise. I have been playing it for several hours today
though (in fact rather too much I think).

The only other thing on the unit is that the power adapter is the same
as for the GBA/SP and so far with backlight on and sound (no wireless)
I've played it for a good 6 or 7 hours today and it hasn't shown the
orange recharge light yet and the software claims it's still on full
charge - so the 10 hour claims seem reasonable.

As for games I just picked up Mario DS in addition to the unit.

The Metroid demo is excellent. Certainly if the full game was available
it would be a killer app - I think Nintendo may have missed a trick
there. If they can get it out before the PSP then I don't see why the DS
won't do well since I think that will tempt enough people to make the DS
a success.

The touchscreen implementation for it is really sublime - I didn't
bother with FPSs on the GBA because of the d-pad limitations but the
touchscreen control is natural, smooth and accurate - I don't see how a
d-pad will be able to compete for this style of game. I can imagine some
tense multiplayer on the commuter trains :)  This is the game to watch I
think.

Graphically Metroid is outstanding compared to any handheld to date and
the sound is nice too. In fact the presentation is reminiscient of the
GC games even though the style is more shooter than the
platform/adventure style of the GC games.


Mario DS seems to be the best of the release bunch and personally I like
it a lot. However, before I go any further I should point out that
although I had/have an N64 I didn't play Mario 64 much (I rented for a
couple of nights and that was it). That means the game is pretty fresh
to me.

Again, graphically it is very nice - far exceeding any handheld to date
- but that's expected. Sound is nice and clear and the frame rate is
rock solid so far so good. There are lots of minigames too to provide a
change from the adventure portions of the game.

Looking at the reviews the main complaint is that compared to Mario 64
the controls are poor. Now as I said, I didn't play Mario 64 much so
it's difficult for me to make a direct comparison. Having said that I
find the controls have been OK but not great so far. Mainly I find I run
out of touch screen and have to reset my thumb a lot - bit like moving
your mouse to the edge of the table.

The way it works is that when you put your thumb on the touchscreen -
that becomes the "stick center" and you move your thumb relative to the
spot. The problem for me is my thumb drifts to the top as I'm running
and then I have to stop and replace my thumb to set the center position
again.

It seems to me that a solution would have been to let the player specify
their "center stick" position rather than just making it relative.

Either way, I do find I have to fight the controls in some situations.
At the moment I've got that new-toy glow so I'm overlooking that but
only time will tell whether I'll get more comfortable with it or just
get annoyed and give up.


As you say the other release games look pretty average by comparison but
that seems to be normal for hardware releases these days (remember Xbox
and PS2 - maybe 1 AAA game each on release and even the AAA is
debatable).

I guess with the new power and capability, more development is requried
and that means more time. I read somewhere for example, that Metroid
Hunters is being worked on by a 10-person team - compare that to console
releases that have more like 30 and anywhere up to 60.

So for the DS and even PSP I think development periods are going to be
longer and more like regular console games.

As for the DS - my assessment is good hardware, and potentially some
great games but the actual success of the device could go either way
depending on how much effort Ninty put into it.

toad.
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 8:12:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

" don't much like how you have to play Mario
with the stylus, but other than that it's a good game"

Are you talking about the main game? You don't have to use the stylus to
control the characters in Mario 64. You can use the regular D pad or you
can use the thumb strap for an analog control.

HDTV games lists and discussions
http://www.hdtvarcade.com



"benstylus" <blacklion@juno.com> wrote in message
news:GSdod.1925$uV6.393@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> The DS itself is heavy, the plastic feels cheap, and the non-game
> interface could definitely use some work (I don't like having to turn off
> the system every time I change one little option).
>
> The games are pretty good - I don't much like how you have to play Mario
> with the stylus, but other than that it's a good game.
>
> Feel the Magic is utterly brilliant, although I've heard it's pretty
> short. As a side note, the Sonic Team GBA games (as well as Space Channel
> 5) unlock special wigs in Feel the Magic if you play it while the GBA
> cartridge is in the slot. I've got a NiGHTS wig, a Chao wig and an Ulala
> wig. I don't have Sonic Advance or Sonic Advance 2, but I'm assuming
> they'll be Sonic and Tails.
>
> The minigames are completely absurd, yet fit in perfectly with the game.
> Sonic Team absorbed UGA a while back during one of the Sega restructurings
> (I think this one was just prior to the merger with Sammy), and it shows -
> even without Tetsuya Mizuguchi heading them up, their style and grace are
> unmistakable.
>
> After beating a mini-game it gets put in the "Memories" section where you
> can play it again to earn stars (which unlock costumes). The big
> difference is that there are 5 additional difficulty levels for most of
> the minigames - some of them get very challenging.
>
> All in all, I think this is Sonic Team's finest work since Sonic
> Adventure. While perhaps not everyone would think it's a killer app, it's
> what sold the system for me.
>
> The only other game I can think of that is remotely like it is Incredible
> Crisis on the PS1 - a string of bizarre minigames all relating to a story.
> That game was fun too, but offered no replay.
>
> Anyway, I've crossposted this to r.g.v.sega since I'm talking about a
> relevant game.
>
> Jason Costa wrote:
>
>> Has anyone gotten it yet? Mine's arriving on Monday, but I've seen
>> many ads in the paper today, so I'm sure more than several of you have
>> it :)  I'm a little disappointed to see that the release dates for
>> games like Metroid, Advance Wars and Animal Crossing have been pushed
>> back so far; AC I think is scheduled now for September of next year,
>> and I could've sworn I saw it listed as either a December '04 or
>> January '05 release. And I've also noticed that the games so far,
>> aside from Mario64, are showing up with mediocre reviews. Anyone have
>> anything to comment on?
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 12:19:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

There is that handy little thing called the Thumb strap, so there sin't any
room to coplain.

"Ollie T" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:7zeod.28877$g21.9374@fe1.texas.rr.com...
> " don't much like how you have to play Mario
> with the stylus, but other than that it's a good game"
>
> Are you talking about the main game? You don't have to use the stylus to
> control the characters in Mario 64. You can use the regular D pad or you
> can use the thumb strap for an analog control.
>
> HDTV games lists and discussions
> http://www.hdtvarcade.com
>
>
>
> "benstylus" <blacklion@juno.com> wrote in message
> news:GSdod.1925$uV6.393@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> > The DS itself is heavy, the plastic feels cheap, and the non-game
> > interface could definitely use some work (I don't like having to turn
off
> > the system every time I change one little option).
> >
> > The games are pretty good - I don't much like how you have to play Mario
> > with the stylus, but other than that it's a good game.
> >
> > Feel the Magic is utterly brilliant, although I've heard it's pretty
> > short. As a side note, the Sonic Team GBA games (as well as Space
Channel
> > 5) unlock special wigs in Feel the Magic if you play it while the GBA
> > cartridge is in the slot. I've got a NiGHTS wig, a Chao wig and an
Ulala
> > wig. I don't have Sonic Advance or Sonic Advance 2, but I'm assuming
> > they'll be Sonic and Tails.
> >
> > The minigames are completely absurd, yet fit in perfectly with the game.
> > Sonic Team absorbed UGA a while back during one of the Sega
restructurings
> > (I think this one was just prior to the merger with Sammy), and it
shows -
> > even without Tetsuya Mizuguchi heading them up, their style and grace
are
> > unmistakable.
> >
> > After beating a mini-game it gets put in the "Memories" section where
you
> > can play it again to earn stars (which unlock costumes). The big
> > difference is that there are 5 additional difficulty levels for most of
> > the minigames - some of them get very challenging.
> >
> > All in all, I think this is Sonic Team's finest work since Sonic
> > Adventure. While perhaps not everyone would think it's a killer app,
it's
> > what sold the system for me.
> >
> > The only other game I can think of that is remotely like it is
Incredible
> > Crisis on the PS1 - a string of bizarre minigames all relating to a
story.
> > That game was fun too, but offered no replay.
> >
> > Anyway, I've crossposted this to r.g.v.sega since I'm talking about a
> > relevant game.
> >
> > Jason Costa wrote:
> >
> >> Has anyone gotten it yet? Mine's arriving on Monday, but I've seen
> >> many ads in the paper today, so I'm sure more than several of you have
> >> it :)  I'm a little disappointed to see that the release dates for
> >> games like Metroid, Advance Wars and Animal Crossing have been pushed
> >> back so far; AC I think is scheduled now for September of next year,
> >> and I could've sworn I saw it listed as either a December '04 or
> >> January '05 release. And I've also noticed that the games so far,
> >> aside from Mario64, are showing up with mediocre reviews. Anyone have
> >> anything to comment on?
>
>
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 1:07:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

Well, being totally sold out anyways it doesn't really matter if your have
such weak muscles...

"Preston Crawford" <me@prestoncrawford.com> wrote in message
news:slrncq33cv.dg0.me@serpentor.cobrala...
> On 2004-11-21, Jason Costa <jcwatchdog@msn.com> wrote:
> > Has anyone gotten it yet? Mine's arriving on Monday, but I've seen
> > many ads in the paper today, so I'm sure more than several of you have
> > it :)  I'm a little disappointed to see that the release dates for
> > games like Metroid, Advance Wars and Animal Crossing have been pushed
> > back so far; AC I think is scheduled now for September of next year,
> > and I could've sworn I saw it listed as either a December '04 or
> > January '05 release. And I've also noticed that the games so far,
> > aside from Mario64, are showing up with mediocre reviews. Anyone have
> > anything to comment on?
>
> I tried playing it (borrowed a friends for about 10 minutes). It cramped
> my hands up whereas the SP didn't. So I'm not buying one. Too bad.
>
> Preston
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 2:29:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

On 2004-11-22, Ice Wipe Inc. <birdworm12@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Well, being totally sold out anyways it doesn't really matter if your have
> such weak muscles...

What are you, Hans of Hans and Franz? That's stupid. It's not a muscle
thing. I'm an athlete. I cycle 15-20 miles a day and lift weights. I
played football in college. I'm pretty sure I can handle it.

The problem is I'm also a computer programmer and as such I have to take
care of my hands (fingers, wrists, etc.). It's hard on the hands for me.
Period.

Preston

> "Preston Crawford" <me@prestoncrawford.com> wrote in message
> news:slrncq33cv.dg0.me@serpentor.cobrala...
>> On 2004-11-21, Jason Costa <jcwatchdog@msn.com> wrote:
>> > Has anyone gotten it yet? Mine's arriving on Monday, but I've seen
>> > many ads in the paper today, so I'm sure more than several of you have
>> > it :)  I'm a little disappointed to see that the release dates for
>> > games like Metroid, Advance Wars and Animal Crossing have been pushed
>> > back so far; AC I think is scheduled now for September of next year,
>> > and I could've sworn I saw it listed as either a December '04 or
>> > January '05 release. And I've also noticed that the games so far,
>> > aside from Mario64, are showing up with mediocre reviews. Anyone have
>> > anything to comment on?
>>
>> I tried playing it (borrowed a friends for about 10 minutes). It cramped
>> my hands up whereas the SP didn't. So I'm not buying one. Too bad.
>>
>> Preston
>
>
November 22, 2004 4:02:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

"Preston Crawford" <me@prestoncrawford.com> wrote in message
news:slrncq48v3.f32.me@serpentor.cobrala...
> On 2004-11-22, Ice Wipe Inc. <birdworm12@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > Well, being totally sold out anyways it doesn't really matter if your
have
> > such weak muscles...
>
> What are you, Hans of Hans and Franz?


No he is Todd/Ice Wipe Inc. <---- The most insecure Nintendo troll/fanboy.
He lashes out at *anyone* that has *anything* negative to say about Nintendo
in *anyway*.




> That's stupid. It's not a muscle
> thing. I'm an athlete. I cycle 15-20 miles a day and lift weights. I
> played football in college. I'm pretty sure I can handle it.
>
> The problem is I'm also a computer programmer and as such I have to take
> care of my hands (fingers, wrists, etc.). It's hard on the hands for me.
> Period.
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 4:26:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

I'll throw in my two cents: The DS is everything I expected as the
reviews Internet wide have been spot-on. The only two things I don't
like about the DS are the systems weight (I've never gotten hand
cramps before, but it's not going to keep me from playing) and the
analog control via the touch screen. The touch screen control, for
example in Mario 64, is NOT bad by any means, it just takes a little
thinking to make it work properly. Once you realize that you often
over-compensate, your thumb will slip off of the edges of the screen
less and less.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what developers are going to do
with this system. I'm just really happy that Nintendo is pushing this
risky but promising idea as opposed to some no-name gaming company.

jcwatchdog@msn.com (Jason Costa) wrote in message news:<37cabe21.0411211439.491ce9e8@posting.google.com>...
> Has anyone gotten it yet? Mine's arriving on Monday, but I've seen
> many ads in the paper today, so I'm sure more than several of you have
> it :)  I'm a little disappointed to see that the release dates for
> games like Metroid, Advance Wars and Animal Crossing have been pushed
> back so far; AC I think is scheduled now for September of next year,
> and I could've sworn I saw it listed as either a December '04 or
> January '05 release. And I've also noticed that the games so far,
> aside from Mario64, are showing up with mediocre reviews. Anyone have
> anything to comment on?
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 5:43:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

In article <slrncq33cv.dg0.me@serpentor.cobrala>,
Preston Crawford <me@prestoncrawford.com> wrote:

> On 2004-11-21, Jason Costa <jcwatchdog@msn.com> wrote:
> > Has anyone gotten it yet? Mine's arriving on Monday, but I've seen
> > many ads in the paper today, so I'm sure more than several of you have
> > it :)  I'm a little disappointed to see that the release dates for
> > games like Metroid, Advance Wars and Animal Crossing have been pushed
> > back so far; AC I think is scheduled now for September of next year,
> > and I could've sworn I saw it listed as either a December '04 or
> > January '05 release. And I've also noticed that the games so far,
> > aside from Mario64, are showing up with mediocre reviews. Anyone have
> > anything to comment on?
>
> I tried playing it (borrowed a friends for about 10 minutes). It cramped
> my hands up whereas the SP didn't. So I'm not buying one. Too bad.
>
> Preston

I tried it in an EB for ten minutes and for the life of me couldn't play
it well with the stylus on various control settings in the Metroid demo.
I could tap well, but any aiming felt awkward. As soon as I heard a
stylus was going to be involved with this system, I guessed I wouldn't
be buying it. I haven't tried the thumb attachment, which I might do
better with.
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 6:02:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

"Jason Costa" <jcwatchdog@msn.com> wrote in message
news:37cabe21.0411211439.491ce9e8@posting.google.com...
> Has anyone gotten it yet? Mine's arriving on Monday, but I've seen
> many ads in the paper today, so I'm sure more than several of you have
> it :)  I'm a little disappointed to see that the release dates for
> games like Metroid, Advance Wars and Animal Crossing have been pushed
> back so far; AC I think is scheduled now for September of next year,
> and I could've sworn I saw it listed as either a December '04 or
> January '05 release. And I've also noticed that the games so far,
> aside from Mario64, are showing up with mediocre reviews. Anyone have
> anything to comment on?

I ran into some pretty major issues :

I purchased two DS - one was perfect but the other had a stuck pixel - blue
in the middle of the screen. I took back the one with the pixel issue and
exchanged - I opened the second one, at the store and tested. Same issue -
in a different location but even more irritating than the first. I exchanged
again and the third one is good.

50% of the DS I used were defective...is this just bad luck or did Nintendo
try so hard to push them out that quality control was non-existant?

The bad units aside - so far I am fairly pleased with the display and sound
but don't much care for the huge size of the case or the cheap feel of the
plastic. I would have paid more willingly for a better designed case.
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 7:04:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

Ice Wipe Inc. wrote:
> There is that handy little thing called the Thumb strap, so there sin't any
> room to coplain.

That thumbstrap is quite unwieldy. I wish there was one that didn't
have the rest of the wriststrap attached.
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 7:38:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

Ice Wipe Inc. wrote:
> Well, being totally sold out anyways it doesn't really matter if your
> have such weak muscles...

Some people don't have small girlish hands like yours, Todd. I don't play
handhelds because my hands cramp in five minutes. Nintendo designed those
handhelds for kids, not adults. Will you please tell us again how you're not
a fanboy?
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 7:44:27 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

dementia wrote:

> No he is Todd/Ice Wipe Inc. <---- The most insecure Nintendo
> troll/fanboy. He lashes out at *anyone* that has *anything* negative
> to say about Nintendo in *anyway*.

Todd is such a fanboy he thinks attacks against him are attacks against
Nintendo.
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 9:04:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

Well,

Let me start by saying overall its really nicely done and I like mine
allot. Its a keeper and I will be handing the SP down to my 6yr old son. I
have been home sick today and not much else to do but play the Metroid demo
and surf the web. I havnt been in a Doom 3 mood for a while. My comments are
pretty much what everyone else is saying to one degree or another.

I like FPS games on the PC and am not a Nintendo/Playstation/Xbox type. I
have had GBA, an SP, and now a DS for keeping myself busy on the airplane
and such. The first thought that comes to mind is; When are they going to
port some of the good FPS PC games to it?

1.) It seems like it has allot of horsepower for running a real 3d FPS style
game. The graphics look good and it never slows down. I can hardly believe
the immersion factor coming from a small handheld device.

2.) Its a brick and not very comfortable to reach all the controls. My hand
did cramp up a little until I found a comfortable hand position.

3.)I am using my thumb on the touchpad with the strap device, and there is
real room for improvement in that thing. I put a small tie-wrap around the
cord to make it hold its adjustment better. The touchpad does give some of
the mouse like ability to the device that I am used to with PC shooters. I
am also wondering if someone is going to make some kind of a mouse for it.
If I had wanted something that used a stylus and could type I would have
bought a Palm, but I'm sure it will come in handy for something.

4.)I like the bundled Metroid demo allot, its the first Metroid game I have
played. It really shows off the ability of the DS. I am stunned, amazed and
dumbfounded that I cannot purchase the full product right now. I cant say
any of the other games look interesting to me. I have never played Mario
anything and that seems to be the only other game people are saying is good.

5.)I am concerned about the touchpad getting scratched up.

6.)Why is there no dust cover for the GBA cartridge slot ? I havnt tried any
of my GBA games in it. I'm sure those will run well and Im glad it is
backwards compatible. I wouldnt have purchased it if it wasnt.

thanks,
DaveV




"Jason Costa" <jcwatchdog@msn.com> wrote in message
news:37cabe21.0411211439.491ce9e8@posting.google.com...
> Has anyone gotten it yet? Mine's arriving on Monday, but I've seen
> many ads in the paper today, so I'm sure more than several of you have
> it :)  I'm a little disappointed to see that the release dates for
> games like Metroid, Advance Wars and Animal Crossing have been pushed
> back so far; AC I think is scheduled now for September of next year,
> and I could've sworn I saw it listed as either a December '04 or
> January '05 release. And I've also noticed that the games so far,
> aside from Mario64, are showing up with mediocre reviews. Anyone have
> anything to comment on?
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 11:27:07 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

benstylus <blacklion@juno.com> wrote in
news:z6ood.1229$NU3.549@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

> Ice Wipe Inc. wrote:
>> There is that handy little thing called the Thumb strap, so there
>> sin't any room to coplain.
>
> That thumbstrap is quite unwieldy. I wish there was one that didn't
> have the rest of the wriststrap attached.

Nintendo is selling spare wriststraps on their site. Get one and modify
it.

Geo
--
George Mealer
geo*AT*snarksoft*DOT*com

"Alright, it's Saturday night...I have no date, a two-liter bottle
of Shasta, and my all-Rush mix tape. Let's rock!" -- Philip J. Fry
Anonymous
November 23, 2004 12:30:30 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

In article <none-D34D10.09441622112004@news.easynews.com>, none@none.com
says...
>
>In article <slrncq33cv.dg0.me@serpentor.cobrala>,
> Preston Crawford <me@prestoncrawford.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2004-11-21, Jason Costa <jcwatchdog@msn.com> wrote:
>> > Has anyone gotten it yet? Mine's arriving on Monday, but I've seen
>> > many ads in the paper today, so I'm sure more than several of you have
>> > it :)  I'm a little disappointed to see that the release dates for
>> > games like Metroid, Advance Wars and Animal Crossing have been pushed
>> > back so far; AC I think is scheduled now for September of next year,
>> > and I could've sworn I saw it listed as either a December '04 or
>> > January '05 release. And I've also noticed that the games so far,
>> > aside from Mario64, are showing up with mediocre reviews. Anyone have
>> > anything to comment on?
>>
>> I tried playing it (borrowed a friends for about 10 minutes). It cramped
>> my hands up whereas the SP didn't. So I'm not buying one. Too bad.
>>
>> Preston
>
>I tried it in an EB for ten minutes and for the life of me couldn't play
>it well with the stylus on various control settings in the Metroid demo.
>I could tap well, but any aiming felt awkward. As soon as I heard a
>stylus was going to be involved with this system, I guessed I wouldn't
>be buying it. I haven't tried the thumb attachment, which I might do
>better with.

Same thoughts that I had. It seems gimicky like the Virtual Boy. I will take a
pass and continue with my beloved SP. I wonder why Nintendo always comes up
with these strange ideas?
Anonymous
November 23, 2004 3:03:54 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

Preston Crawford <me@prestoncrawford.com> wrote in message news:<slrncq33cv.dg0.me@serpentor.cobrala>...

> I tried playing it (borrowed a friends for about 10 minutes). It cramped
> my hands up whereas the SP didn't. So I'm not buying one. Too bad.
>
> Preston


I have to second this, my hands hurt after playing about 30 minutes.
In Metroid, I tried using the stylus for the aiming, but this wasn't
as accurate as the strap, but trying to hold the system in such a way
that you can use the directional pad, the left shoulder button, and
the strap (with the right hand) is painful after awhile. Of course,
this is just this one game, and although I like playing it, it's a
little too uncomfortable. I think there's an option to change the
controls to regular, I just hadn't checked yet. I've been replaying
Tactics Ogre on it now that I can see it clearly. This is what the
GBA SP should have been, at least the screen.
Anonymous
November 23, 2004 3:08:10 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,rec.games.video.sega (More info?)

benstylus <blacklion@juno.com> wrote in message news:<GSdod.1925$uV6.393@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>...
> The DS itself is heavy, the plastic feels cheap, and the non-game
> interface could definitely use some work (I don't like having to turn
> off the system every time I change one little option).

Yes, I've noticed this, why is it that I have to restart the system
whenever I'm trying to go between options? I clicked on "download"
just to see how it looked, it stated it was looking for a game to
download, after about 20 seconds, I clicked "quit" and it made me
restart the whole system. The same thing when you go into Pictochat,
you can't exit to something different. That's a funny feature.
November 23, 2004 1:18:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

"Hank the Rapper" <xflopgoon@REMOVEyahoo.com> wrote in message
news:tPadnRLn_pLS5z_cRVn-tA@giganews.com...
> dementia wrote:
>
> > No he is Todd/Ice Wipe Inc. <---- The most insecure Nintendo
> > troll/fanboy. He lashes out at *anyone* that has *anything* negative
> > to say about Nintendo in *anyway*.
>
> Todd is such a fanboy he thinks attacks against him are attacks against
> Nintendo.

LOL!
True/excellent!
December 7, 2004 8:18:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

"Raph" <raphs@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:ecnod.8464$Uf.7594@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
>
> "Jason Costa" <jcwatchdog@msn.com> wrote in message
> news:37cabe21.0411211439.491ce9e8@posting.google.com...
>> Has anyone gotten it yet? Mine's arriving on Monday, but I've seen
>> many ads in the paper today, so I'm sure more than several of you have
>> it :)  I'm a little disappointed to see that the release dates for
>> games like Metroid, Advance Wars and Animal Crossing have been pushed
>> back so far; AC I think is scheduled now for September of next year,
>> and I could've sworn I saw it listed as either a December '04 or
>> January '05 release. And I've also noticed that the games so far,
>> aside from Mario64, are showing up with mediocre reviews. Anyone have
>> anything to comment on?
>
> I ran into some pretty major issues :
>
> I purchased two DS - one was perfect but the other had a stuck pixel -
> blue in the middle of the screen. I took back the one with the pixel issue
> and exchanged - I opened the second one, at the store and tested. Same
> issue - in a different location but even more irritating than the first. I
> exchanged again and the third one is good.
>
> 50% of the DS I used were defective...is this just bad luck or did
> Nintendo try so hard to push them out that quality control was
> non-existant?
>

Quality control has nothing to do with it - LCD screens always run the risk
of having this problem and if you buy a computer screen you need a fair few
dead pixels before you can actually return it. Nintendo are being really
good about letting people return them if they have just one dead pixel.

Also... it's not something that'd bother the "average" gamer, only those of
us who like things to be nice and perfect (I am one such person).

--
Sue
Anonymous
December 8, 2004 5:30:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

"Sprite" <sue.kitchen@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
news:31m6vsF3dv2plU1@individual.net...
>
> "Raph" <raphs@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:ecnod.8464$Uf.7594@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
>>
>> "Jason Costa" <jcwatchdog@msn.com> wrote in message
>> news:37cabe21.0411211439.491ce9e8@posting.google.com...
>>> Has anyone gotten it yet? Mine's arriving on Monday, but I've seen
>>> many ads in the paper today, so I'm sure more than several of you have
>>> it :)  I'm a little disappointed to see that the release dates for
>>> games like Metroid, Advance Wars and Animal Crossing have been pushed
>>> back so far; AC I think is scheduled now for September of next year,
>>> and I could've sworn I saw it listed as either a December '04 or
>>> January '05 release. And I've also noticed that the games so far,
>>> aside from Mario64, are showing up with mediocre reviews. Anyone have
>>> anything to comment on?
>>
>> I ran into some pretty major issues :
>>
>> I purchased two DS - one was perfect but the other had a stuck pixel -
>> blue in the middle of the screen. I took back the one with the pixel
>> issue and exchanged - I opened the second one, at the store and tested.
>> Same issue - in a different location but even more irritating than the
>> first. I exchanged again and the third one is good.
>>
>> 50% of the DS I used were defective...is this just bad luck or did
>> Nintendo try so hard to push them out that quality control was
>> non-existant?
>>
>
> Quality control has nothing to do with it - LCD screens always run the
> risk of having this problem and if you buy a computer screen you need a
> fair few dead pixels before you can actually return it. Nintendo are
> being really good about letting people return them if they have just one
> dead pixel.
>
> Also... it's not something that'd bother the "average" gamer, only those
> of us who like things to be nice and perfect (I am one such person).

After thinking it through - I still believe it is a quality control issue
however since most companies find a certain level of dead pixels acceptable,
Nintendo is simply following industry standards. Still there is one company
anyway with a zero tolerance for dead pixels - Phillips ( or at least that
used to be their policy)...this only includes pixels stuck on and not those
stuck unlit.

On a small screen they are much more distracting and on the ones I had they
were in the top screen, stuck on and very distracting when there was motion
in the game. I am glad that Nintendo has decided to exchange them under
warrenty if the customer has any that are irritating during gameplay.
Anonymous
December 19, 2004 4:15:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube, rec.games.video.nintendo, alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

I got mine early and bought "Mario 64" to go with it. A month later, I
traded-in "Mario" for "Feel the Magic" and I feel like now I'm really
using the system for what it was designed for. Most of the "FTM"
controls are touch-only, which suits the ergonomics of the DS much
better.

To summarize the comments I've made in my "blog"...

* I'm excited about the possibilities of the system. The screens look
great, the touch screen is very responsive. But the buttons aren't set
up as comfortable as on the SP. I prefer the SP for long rounds of
"Final Fantasy Tactics Advance", despite the DS' backlit beauty.

* "Mario 64 DS" was okay, but not really all that fun. It's an
ergonomics thing... hard to play extremely action oriented games using
the buttons (though Metroid with the stylus as an aiming device works
well). "Feel the Magic" is much more fun.
My videogame/media review blog: http://memepedia.blogspot.com/
!