Laptop to TV problem

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
June 14, 2005 8:55:37 PM

Hi. I've connected my laptop to my TV with RGB 15-pin cable for video
and stereo mini plug for audio (This is the connection directions given
by the TV manual). In Desktop Display section on my laptop, I don't
have a TV output choice, but I do have Multiple Monitors option.

When I reboot my laptop I see the Windows loading screen fine on both
my laptop and TV until just before the desktop appears, then the TV
goes blank. Also, there is no sound on TV.

Am I missing some obvious configuration?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Paul

More about : laptop problem

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 14, 2005 10:59:23 PM

Is your video card capable of sending a signal to a television? It needs to
have TV Out capability. Televisions and computer monitors are two different
things. The signal is different for both.

"Paul" <huntpa@prodigy.net> wrote in message
> Hi. I've connected my laptop to my TV with RGB 15-pin cable for video
> and stereo mini plug for audio (This is the connection directions given
> by the TV manual). In Desktop Display section on my laptop, I don't
> have a TV output choice, but I do have Multiple Monitors option.
>
> When I reboot my laptop I see the Windows loading screen fine on both
> my laptop and TV until just before the desktop appears, then the TV
> goes blank. Also, there is no sound on TV.
>
> Am I missing some obvious configuration?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Paul

June 15, 2005 11:33:15 AM

Kevin wrote:
> Is your video card capable of sending a signal to a television? It needs to
> have TV Out capability. Televisions and computer monitors are two different
> things. The signal is different for both.

The signal is there while Windows is loading, and looks great on my
50-inch screen, but it disappears when the desktop is being loaded. So
I assume it is a Windows configuation problem. But I've tried Display
properties, and multiple monitor settings without luck.

Paul
a b D Laptop
June 15, 2005 10:40:00 PM

He made it quite clear, I thought, that his TV has a vga input.

Kevin wrote:

> Is your video card capable of sending a signal to a television? It needs to
> have TV Out capability. Televisions and computer monitors are two different
> things. The signal is different for both.
>
> "Paul" <huntpa@prodigy.net> wrote in message
>
>>Hi. I've connected my laptop to my TV with RGB 15-pin cable for video
>>and stereo mini plug for audio (This is the connection directions given
>>by the TV manual). In Desktop Display section on my laptop, I don't
>>have a TV output choice, but I do have Multiple Monitors option.
>>
>>When I reboot my laptop I see the Windows loading screen fine on both
>>my laptop and TV until just before the desktop appears, then the TV
>>goes blank. Also, there is no sound on TV.
>>
>>Am I missing some obvious configuration?
>>
>>Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>>
>>Paul

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 15, 2005 10:40:01 PM

Barry Watzman wrote:

> He made it quite clear, I thought, that his TV has a vga input.

Which could well be the problem. While TVs often have VGA input that does
not make them autosynchronous monitors--many have only a few fixed
frequency combinations that they can deal with.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

huntpa@prodigy.net (Paul) wrote in

> When I reboot my laptop I see the Windows loading screen fine on
> both my laptop and TV until just before the desktop appears, then
> the TV goes blank. Also, there is no sound on TV.
>
> Am I missing some obvious configuration?

Since the image appears during boot but goes away when the desktop is
displayed, maybe the screen resolution you've selected for your
normal desktop is out the range your TV can handle. Try cranking back
the resolution to 640x480 (VGA mode) and see what happens.

No idea about the sound though.

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN | bert@iphouse.com
June 16, 2005 1:52:16 PM

I will try Bert's suggestion and use the 640x480 setting and see what
happens.

I was directed at another use group to go to Display Properties and use
the /Settings /Advanced /Displays /Scheme section to choose TV as
output. That sounded good but the /Displays /Scheme section is not
available on my version of Windows XP (I have 5.1 with Service Pack 1).
At work I have version 5.1 with Service Pack 2, and the "scheme"
choice is available. So last night I downloaded SP2 and it crashed my
OS. This wasn't a surprise, and I was able to restore my old OS. But
now I'm back to square one, unless SP2 wasn't going to solve the
problem in the 1st place. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Paul
June 17, 2005 6:51:25 PM

Paul wrote:
> I will try Bert's suggestion and use the 640x480 setting and see what
> happens.

800x600 is as low as I can go. Oh, well.

Paul
!