Sign in with
Your question

Computer stops booting

Last response: in Motherboards
June 5, 2012 8:05:36 PM

Hey,
I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but I have a weird problem .. My computer got the boot files corrupted and it wouldn't boot, I try using windows7 repair tools, but they don't work, so I just reinstall Windows. After some time it happens again ... A few weird things I noticed ... The light on the reset button would stay on for long periods, and I couldn't do anything during this time, after a few minutes it would become normal ... Another thing, once it stopped booting, so I plugged in my external disk with a copy of a legit windows setup on it, and it wouldn't boot from the external disk ... I tried unplugging the external disk, plugging the hard disk on a different motherboard entrance, and it would start working for a while, until the same thing happens, and can be fixed over and over again just by cycling the motherboard entrance I use for the external disk ... What the hell can be going on here? I have no other computer to test the components separately, so I don't know if to buy a new hard disk, motherboard or even memory ...
If this means anything to you and you have a clue what might be the problem I would appreciate it.
Thanks

More about : computer stops booting

a b V Motherboard
June 5, 2012 8:43:40 PM

It may be your PSU but no good way to test it... I would start by running memtest over night first.
!