Sign in with
Your question

PC Beeps

Last response: in Components
September 15, 2011 10:54:41 PM

Hello,
one day i was playing cod waw zomx mod then pc turned off, stoped playing for 30 min then it happens again. then i went inside to blow out dust.same thing still. i installed a nvidia geforce gt 120 3 weeks before, so i thought it was the power supply, changed it then pluged it up with a smile, i get a beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep that never ends. same when i put back the old psu! please help me, i know its not ram cause it was working fine im using a old laptop now :[

ps:its a emachine model ET and i unstalled the geforce gt 120 so thats not the problem

maybe i pluged something in wrong cause the original power supply was 200 watts, new one was 400

such thing as overpowering your pc?

More about : beeps

a b ) Power supply
September 15, 2011 11:00:44 PM

This beep suggests PSU, mobo, or keyboard.

There is no such thing as too much of a PSU. A PSU is like a water fountain, in that only when you need it, you use it. For example, if your system needs 200 W, that's all the PSU will push out. So, the 400W PSU is not overpowering your PC.

On the other hand, if your old PSU was only 200W and it powered your system w/o a dedicated GPU, you may have caused failure to your mobo by not having enough power.
m
l
September 15, 2011 11:47:45 PM

the card was in there for 3 weeks could it overheat the system because after waiting a while i can start pc without it turning off,it works for 15 min before it shuts down without worning also if i can remember the fan speeds up before it turns off, but if its turned on right after the shutdown it will only work for 5 min then turn off again

that was atleast untill the psu problem i got so lets fucus on that
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
September 15, 2011 11:59:39 PM

In my experience, when the PC shuts down on it's own, there are only two factors to consider:

1. Excessive heat; and
2. A power problem.

The common reasons for excessive heat are:

1. Dust
2. Thermal Paste has dried up between heatsink and CPU
3. Heatsink fan is inoperative
4. Heatsink is warped
5. Heatsink is improperly installed

The areas of concern for power-related issues are:

1. PSU is failing
2. The push button case switch has a short
3. Frayed wiring is shorting out the mobo

Now, let's think outside the box a little. Since the problem started, have you changed anything in the BIOS? Have you changed any other hardware? Have you experienced any other difficulties, regardless of its relevance to you?
m
l
September 16, 2011 12:05:53 AM

i had blew out a some dust balls before switching psu but it didnt work, no problems before the shutdowns started all i did was play codwaw and plug in a xbox360 controller
m
l
September 16, 2011 5:28:18 PM

Bad ram maybe? try booting with one stick, then each other stick on it's own in the board... "was working" doesn't mean "Still working" If you don't mind me asking, what did you use to blow out the computer with? Can of computer cleaner? I had a vid card that worked, took it out to clean the fan and heatsink and never worked again....all I can figure is I spun the fan too fast with the air; back fed the card with power (that little fan motor will produce power when spun) and cooked it. it was an old x1600 pro.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
September 16, 2011 5:51:00 PM

^ on that same note, if you did use a can of compressed air, there is a serious danger if you tilted the can and the white foamy liquid came out. This foamy stuff can cause components to fail. In fact, this white foamy stuff can actually cause frostbite to your skin, to give you an idea of how dangerous it is.

Now, what of the other things I suggested you look into?
m
l
September 16, 2011 8:12:59 PM

i used those air things that blow up pools i used it on my xbox ounce
m
l
September 17, 2011 8:52:27 PM

any more suggestions?
m
l
September 18, 2011 2:15:17 PM

I'm lost....did you try all that was suggested above? Intel CPU in that? any possibility the CPU heatsink has become dislodged from the motherboard and it not sitting tight to the CPU? Those push lock things seem flimsy to me...
m
l
a b ) Power supply
September 18, 2011 2:40:12 PM

Reseat Ram, use 1 stick try in other slot. Or try different ram
m
l
September 18, 2011 7:57:17 PM

ive done everything with the ram, tried both slots with one stick and switching sticks,
still get a endless beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep. Ive tried alot of things with the cpu and fan even the video card. Not sure what you can do to the psu though :/ 
m
l
September 18, 2011 8:01:08 PM

not much...a friend have one you can borrow to try and see if that solves your problem? You can buy PSU testers or use a volt meter to check the output voltages on all the connectors. If you search the internet there is tonnes of information on how to check output voltages. More than likely there is a form thread here also that will give you an insight on how to test your PSU. I have done it before, but I am not an expert.
m
l
September 18, 2011 9:27:18 PM

I also have an old computer that failed to boot up. Fans spin, hard drive spins, and cpu fan spins but nothing on the screen.

It emitted a similar beep sound, so I recorded how many beeps. At first, it seemed like a long beep but it was actually a sequence of long beeeeep, short beep, long beeeep, short beep, long beeeep, short beep. I looked up the beep code based on the model of the motherboard and it pointed to the cpu, cpu heatsink, or cpu fan was failing.

I removed the heatsink fan and saw tons of dust bunnies in the heatsink. I also saw that the thermal paste had dried up on the cpu. Once i pulled out the cpu, I saw that the processor had melted spots on it. Cpu was fried from prolonged overheating due to clogged heatsink and dry thermal paste.

Perhaps you had a preexisting condition. You did mention you cleaned the computer after the sudden crash. Have you been regularly cleaning out your case and components?
m
l
!