Sign in with
Your question

Do I need to update bios to run this cpu?

Last response: in Motherboards
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
June 5, 2012 9:08:24 PM

Hello, I come here for help a lot however, this is the first time that I've asked a question on here. First let me explain my setup and where the conflict occurs that brought me here in the first place.

I am running a Gigabyte GA-MA78GPM-DS2H mother board with the F5 BIOs version (link to motherboard at bottom). It is an AM2+ board and the CPU i want to us is an AM3 socket. I also have 2 sets of RAM for a total of 4 sticks and a total of 8 GBs, they are all 800 MHz DDR2 with 2 GBs on each stick.

Now heres my problem:
This is the cpu I would like to run: AMD Phenom II X4 945 Quad Core Processor (link on bottom)
Now I am aware that in order to run most AM3 cpus on an AM2+ board you need the F6H Bios from Gigabyte, the version after the one that I am currently using. However, when you look at the cpu compatibility list from Gigabytes site you see that this cpu is listed a total of THREE TIMES:

AMD Phenom II X4 945 3000MHz 512KBx4 6MB Deneb 45nm C3 95W 4000 F6H
AMD Phenom II X4 945 3000MHz 512KBx4 6MB Deneb 45nm C2 125W 4000 F4
AMD Phenom II X4 945 3000MHz 512KBx4 6MB Deneb 45nm C2 95W 4000 F5
^^^^ ^^^^
Notice the only difference is the Bios version that is required, and the wattage.

So why is it listed three times in the cpu chart, do I need to update Bios to F6H in order to run this cpu or can I keep them at F5? Normally I would just update the bios anyway, but about a week ago I switched the two sets of RAM around and my computer wouldn't give a display, as soon as i switched them back it worked liked nothing happened, I didn't reset CMOS or anything. All 4 sticks of RAM are picked up by the BIOs and in windows telling me that i have a grand total of 8 Gbs so it leads me to believe that none of them are dead. What worries me is that if i update the bios and load the optimized defaults then something else will happen to make my RAM not work, and not give me a display like before. Will this actually happen or am I too paranoid?

Please help me out here, it seems like the advice generally given here is actually very intelligent compared to the internet in general.

Links:
Motherboard: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...
New CPU: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

More about : update bios run cpu

a c 851 à CPUs
a c 1098 V Motherboard
June 5, 2012 9:16:02 PM

F6H BIOS for that 95 watt version of the 945 most every thing on the market is C3 stepping.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
June 5, 2012 9:37:39 PM

Oh so the stepping is the difference, I see the one i want does indeed us C3 stepping, so now I gotta ask, if i update the Bios when i load the optimized defaults will it mess up my RAM? That's whats really got me worried the most, I need a new board eventually but i really can't afford one right now.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
June 5, 2012 11:50:16 PM

I did a little research I think I misunderstood what CPU stepping is.
So can I run that same 95w CPU with the F5 bios just that it would use C2 stepping instead of C3 or is there only one kind for each CPU?
I'm really afraid to update my bios:( 
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
June 6, 2012 12:15:45 AM

Well I updated my bios, I decided to check what setting my RAM had in bios saw it was all on auto and decided that i might as well plug in my usb drive and do it. I booted into windows so I imagine if anything was going to go wrong it already would have. Thanks for the help you gave me.
m
l
a c 851 à CPUs
a c 1098 V Motherboard
June 6, 2012 4:21:15 AM

It is only to deal with the new CPU ram settings should be the same.
m
l
!