Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Are these temps normal? (Core i7 2630QM)

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Sandy Bridge
  • Intel i7
Last response: in CPUs
September 15, 2011 11:08:15 PM

hi^^

i purchased a lenovo y560p, specs:
core i7 (sandy bridge) - 8gb memory - hdd 750gb 5400 - ati 6570m 1gb
happy with it! very fast, solid performance, nice speakers, good looks :D 

i just want to know if these temps are normal for an i7 laptop (captured when played cod: black ops)

no cooling pad.
i know temps depend on room temp (maybe it's 29C i'm not sure)
it's moderate.

so, what do u think? have an advice?
thanks^^

More about : temps normal core 2630qm

a b à CPUs
September 16, 2011 1:43:59 AM

A low of 80 C?? I'd definitely say no
m
l
September 16, 2011 1:47:20 AM

are u sure it's high for a laptop? i'm asking coz u have a pc
thanks for the reply :) 
m
l
Related resources
September 16, 2011 2:13:16 AM

I have a MacBook Pro with the same CPU, the highest temperature i've recorded is around 94' C.

It usually sits on around 50'C with normal use and jumps higher when rendering as expected.
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
September 16, 2011 2:21:34 AM

Your temps are fine, +1 to AidanJC. All laptop CPU's are designed to run at very high temps because there is no good way to cool them. You have the equivalent of 1/4 of an already ineffective desktop OEM trying to cool a chip with half the TDP of a desktop chip, so you're going to see high temps. Your TJ max is 100C, so keep track of things and if you hit the high 90s you may need to start doing some readjusting. Generally, laptops CPU's and coolers take care of themselves unless you run you laptop on a towel/blanket/rug.
September 16, 2011 2:49:16 AM

Laptop or not, I certainly wouldn't be comfortable with CPU temps in the mid 90's C either. Even though he may not be at his thermal limit, he's getting awfully close to it, and running that close to it for a significant period of time certainly isn't what I'd call healthy for the processor.

I'd google the laptop model and CPU model and see what temperatures other people are reporting. If nothing else, get a cooling pad for when you are gaming! When you're only a couple degrees from your thermal ceeling, even a difference of 2 or 3 degrees could have a large impact on your CPU's lifespan.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 16, 2011 2:58:05 AM

Yargnit said:
Laptop or not, I certainly wouldn't be comfortable with CPU temps in the mid 90's C either. Even though he may not be at his thermal limit, he's getting awfully close to it, and running that close to it for a significant period of time certainly isn't what I'd call healthy for the processor.

I'd google the laptop model and CPU model and see what temperatures other people are reporting. If nothing else, get a cooling pad for when you are gaming! When you're only a couple degrees from your thermal ceeling, even a difference of 2 or 3 degrees could have a large impact on your CPU's lifespan.

If you do this you'll find that it corroborates what I said.
m
l
!