Help with a Media PC sub $1800

richardautz

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
Thanks to all who helped last time, you saved me from making a big mistake both $ and components. I hope it is OK to impose again. So, I spent the last 48 hours (truthfully) poring over this site and other sites like CyberPower, IbuyPower, etc. and now my head is spinning.

I need a media PC to connect to a DENON AVR 2112, and Wii. My local PC shop gave me a $2200 estimate, that you guys kindly told me was pretty ridiculous for my needs. So now I am trying from scratch.

The big question is to BUY - (but some of the comments re: CP and IBP scare me alot, and I can't find much advice on a pretty good company) or BUILD (Since I am disabled, this would be a great project and after watching 20 or so videos/guides I think I could pull it off EXCEPT for all the BIOS programming and other software tweaking to maximize all the parts, that scares me so maybe I am out of my league.) So please let me know your thoughts. I am good with software, but never got into the OS/BIOS stuff.

OK here goes, I am basically copying this build from Cyberpowers Ultra Edition, oh and I really need it to last a long time, I don't think my wife will give approval again for years!

Approximate Purchase Date: right away

Budget Range: sub $1800 out the door (no need for mouse keyboard or monitor)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: tons of HD Home MOvies/pictures (I have six year old twins), Itunes with approx 1000 CDs worth, streaming movies through VLC, bittorrent, netflix, and significant use of business programs excel/access, etc.

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg seems the one all you like

Country of Origin: United States

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU

Overclocking: if you recommend

SLI or Crossfire: if you recommend

Monitor Resolution: Asus monitor 1680x1050 and Sharp Aquos 37" LCD TV 1024x768

Additional Comments: I am really torn between doing a "bling PC" since my boys love the windows with the colored air-cooling, fans, neon, etc. since they are my life, or the case described below with all the media functionality to match and go well with my Denon (PS I am purchasing that new also, if anyone has other recommendations)

Here is the build CP recommends, I would be so thankful for all your comments and apologies for the long email and I have to say, you are an incredible group of people to help people so much, that is a rare thing these days (and I promise I am not saying that for extra help, it is just a fact :):

(My only change would be to add an SSD in addtion to the 2 TB HD)

Case: SilverStone LC18 MultiMedia Server Case w/ Built-in 7 inch Screen Display (BLACK Color)

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-2600K 3.40 GHz 8M Intel Smart Cache LGA1155 (All Venom OC Certified)

Venom Boost Fast And Efficient Factory Overclocking: No Overclocking

Cooling Fan: Intel LGA1156 Certified CPU Fan & Heatsink

Motherboard: [CrossFireX/SLI] GigaByte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 ATX MB w/ Lucid Virtu +
Intel Smart Response Technology & 7.1 Dolby Home Theater Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, 2x SATA-III RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe, 3 PCIe X1 & 2 PCI (All Venom OC Certified)

Intel Smart Response Technology for Z68: None

Memory: 8GB (2GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory Module (Corsair or Major Brand)

Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 6770 1GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card (Major Brand Powered by ATI)

Multiple Video Card Settings: Non-SLI/Non-CrossFireX Mode Supports Multiple Monitors

Power Supply Upgrade: 600 Watts - XtremeGear Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready

Hard Drive: 2TB (2TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Hard Drive)

Data Hard Drive: None

Hard Drive Cooling Fan: None

Optical Drive: Samsung SH-B123L 12X BLU-RAY Player & DVDRW Combo (BLACK COLOR)

Sound: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

Network: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network

Wireless 802.11B/G Network Card: PCI Wireless 802.11n 150Mbps Network Interface Card
Flash Media Reader/Writer: INTERNAL 12in1 Flash Media Reader/Writer (BLACK COLOR)

USB Port: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
Operating System: * Microsoft® Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit Edition)

Media Center Remote Control & TV Tuner: AverMedia AVerTV Dual Tuner (ATSC/QAM/NTSC) Combo PCIE Media Center with Remote Control (Watch one channel and record on the other channel)

Service: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT

Sincere thanks and all the best to you,
Richard

holdingholder

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
Seems like a bit of overkill if all your going to be doing is using it as pretty much a home theater pc. If that's all you plan on doing with it you probably don't need to spend more than 5-600$. The cheapest lga 1155 cpu is more than enough to handle blu-rays and hd content the integrated graphics are optimized just fro such things. You don't need such a big power supply since you also don't need a video card either (will also save you money on power usage) and I don't see why you would need to overclock if your not going to be playing any games (are you?). You don't need a monster motherboard either. Now if you want a little future fexiblity to do other things by all means go ahead, but it seems like they are just trying to sell you a lot of stuff you don't need.

richardautz

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2011
Thank you holdingholder, it is amazing how much stuff you guys know about all this. I will go back to the drawing board and use the Media PC recommended by all of you in the other thread and then go from there. I think I could do the hardware, but I am concerned about the BIOS stuff, so that is my big question on whether to build or not. Thank you guys again, amazing site!