Sign in with
Your question

Looking for advice, ideas for new build/store bought

Last response: in Systems
June 20, 2011 10:45:58 PM

Hello, i've been doing some reading lately and read a couple great fourms on this site, so i thought have at it, sign up and ask away.
without any more delays, the reason i made this thread is that im looking to buy a new pc. i currently have a 2 1/2 year old toshiba satellite a200-ft1. this machine is running slow for me. since im of to university next fall i figured before i enter the debt related life, id treat myself with a new computer. heres where i run into my problems, with a budget of 1500$ for a complete build, store bought or homebuilt i need it to function for projects, homework, and math oriented programs. i also require a machine to run WOW, and probally COD maybe eve and what have you. I know not very much about computers atm, plan on takeing some courses in uni gear for a minor in computer science. anyways you know my budget and needs, any advice on what to do here desktop,laoptop, and what have you.
any more details you need to know just post,
Thanks in advance, Adam.
June 20, 2011 10:57:04 PM

Welcome! A great place to start looking into builds is the forums. There's a "systems" section that has a lot of build advice and some stickies that suggest builds. The link below will take you there. Feel free to come back with any questions!

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum-31.html

Edit: I can't recommend a home built machine enough. You'll save a ton of money and you'll know your way around your PC so when it comes time to upgrade you'll know exactly what you're doing.
m
l
June 20, 2011 10:59:39 PM

steven0724 said:
Welcome! A great place to start looking into builds is the forums. There's a "systems" section that has a lot of build advice and some stickies that suggest builds. The link below will take you there. Feel free to come back with any questions!

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum-31.html

Edit: I can't recommend a home built machine enough. You'll save a ton of money and you'll know your way around your PC so when it comes time to upgrade you'll know exactly what you're doing.

Thanks mate, will do . ill get back in here if / when i have some questions
m
l
June 20, 2011 11:14:25 PM

reading through fourms, i notice its not about the performance but all around what you want. my limited knowledge of pc's leaves me to asking many questions.
NEEDS-
Able to run wow with rams to spare
able to use for school work
i've been fascinated by alienware but was pointed to building your own for much cheaper. is there anyways to get led glow towers,keyboards ect like aliens? but cheap? as you can see id also like the option to use my computer as a home entertainmeent while in dorms at residence.

I could specify this comp for gaming, and would need to upgrade my current laptop. this is the root i prefere isnt of buying a new prebuilt laptop. Can i get more info on alien alike pc's, maybe some advice of good builders whom completed these tasks, and more advice on what to upgrade for my current laptop

Thanks Adam,
m
l
!