Pc to hdtv not filling the screen

dirtspad

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
Hello,
i put my pc through vga to my new 42" lcd fullhd 1080p.when i set the (built in) graphics settings to 1920 x 1080 the left hand side of the screen is black and not being used. in the tv settings i can move the picture but even when stretched it doesn't fill the screen. read a few posts and am not even sure now if vga will display hd. it must do though as the the display settings in windows will allow me to go 2 settings higher than 1920 x 1080.
Not sure what i am doing wrong but could do with some help.

Thankyou

dirtspad

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
after reading the instructions to the tv it says "when connected to a pc the max output res is 1920 x 1200. so i guess that answers that question. odd however that it can display full hd but not when connected to a pc.
this also means that the next available setting below 1920 x 1080 is not, as i would have liked, 1920 x 1200 but actually 1600 x 1200.

still though if anyone has any info or thinks there might be something worth trying i'm all ears.

Thanks

If you are able to use a DVI connection, that should fix the problem. DVI causes the TV to act like a PC monitor and will allow the proper resolutions. Be sure to look for all the resolution options in your graphics properties. Sometimes, there are options for TV resolutions and if you scroll some more, there are options for PC monitor resolutions.

dirtspad

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
thanks for your replies..........

i have been into the nvidia control panel and messed with what i can but nothing i have done alters the screens position in a way that it fills the screen.
maybe the way forward is this dvi connection but i think my motherboard only has vga out