GTX 460 266.58 driver problems (reverting to older version)

tastelikecrab

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
My graphics driver keeps reporting an older version.
If I use GPU-Z or any other system info program, it reports it as 266.58 but games like HAWX2 and Age of Conan complain that my driver is older. H.A.W.X. 2 hardware detection tool reports that my driver is 103.04

I also notice a big performance drop in some games. Most noticeable in Rift. On Afterburner I noticed that my GPU usage is inconsistent and gameplay is very choppy at high/ultra and Custom(max) settings, and this is most nitceable in the main city: Sanctum and in PvP/warfronts.

If I reinstall my drivers (Custom Install>Clean Install) then HAWX 2 shows 266.58 as the version and the performance in Rift is great even at max settings. Age of Conan also stops complaining about my driver version.
However EVERY TIME i restart my driver reverts back to 103.04 according to the hawx2 tool, AoC starts complaining and Rift becomes annoying to play.

Any ideas?

I'm using :
Windows 7 64 SP1.
GTX 460 768 MB
CUDA Toolkit v3.2 (64)

I tried completely disabling Kaspersky through the install and restart but it made no difference. It's like I have to clean install my driver every time I restart my PC.

I have half a mind to try the new beta drivers instead. Or I may even have to uninstall CUDA till toolkit 4.0 comes out :/ ... BUt I obviously want to try otehr avenues first.

Help! Please!