Dead pixel on DS

Last response: in Video Games
November 22, 2004 3:24:51 AM

My touch screen has a dead pixel (led stays white) on the touch screen of
the DS. Does anyone else have a pixel that isn't working on their DS?
Thinking of returning it if this isn't common. I think my PDA had one that
fixed itself. It was fairly common on the PDA's.

More about : dead pixel

November 22, 2004 3:24:52 AM

> My touch screen has a dead pixel (led stays white) on the touch screen of
> the DS. Does anyone else have a pixel that isn't working on their DS?
> Thinking of returning it if this isn't common. I think my PDA had one
that
> fixed itself. It was fairly common on the PDA's.

Great.. I was hoping not to be reading about "dead pixels" with the DS so
soon, since I'll probably be picking one up in the coming week. When the SP
was first released, I returned two before finding one that was acceptable.
It wasn't so much dead or hot pixels with the SP, but dust (appeared to be
large glass dust) under the screen. (Manufacturing process?)

Don't have any pixel problems with my PDA's (Casios), fortunetly. My newest
laptop has developed three dead pixels within a year and half, but they
don't bother me. Game handhelds, since the screen is so small anyway, drive
me nuts with dead/hot pixels (or large dust from the manufacturer). I'd
return it...
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 3:50:16 AM

"Van" <not@this.time> wrote in message
> My touch screen has a dead pixel (led stays white) on the touch screen of
> the DS. Does anyone else have a pixel that isn't working on their DS?
> Thinking of returning it if this isn't common. I think my PDA had one
> that
> fixed itself. It was fairly common on the PDA's.

I had the same problem. My DS had two pixels that would remain blue. I
thought it would go away or I could ignore it but it got on my nerves. I
exchanged it and glad I did. I posted my story about it and review here:

http://www.hdtvarcade.com/hdtvforum/viewtopic.php?t=107...
November 22, 2004 6:46:02 AM

"Van" <not@this.time> wrote in

> My touch screen has a dead pixel (led stays white) on the touch screen
> of the DS. Does anyone else have a pixel that isn't working on their
> DS? Thinking of returning it if this isn't common. I think my PDA had
> one that fixed itself. It was fairly common on the PDA's.

I had a hot pixel (blue) on the one I picked up from Fry's this morning.
Luckily, I had pre-order at the local GameCrazy as a backup plan, and it
actually came in on time, so I was able to buy from GC and return the Fry's
one.

Return took forever though; the CSR's kept playing with the damned thing
instead of ringing it up.

Haven't noticed any dust or anything like that that speaks of awful quality
control. Dead pixels happen with any LCD product; many people just don't
notice or mind them.

Geo
--
George Mealer
geo*AT*snarksoft*DOT*com

"Alright, it's Saturday night...I have no date, a two-liter bottle
of Shasta, and my all-Rush mix tape. Let's rock!" -- Philip J. Fry
November 22, 2004 2:15:08 PM

Van wrote:

> My touch screen has a dead pixel (led stays white) on the touch
> screen of the DS. Does anyone else have a pixel that isn't working
> on their DS? Thinking of returning it if this isn't common. I think
> my PDA had one that fixed itself. It was fairly common on the PDA's.

Yeah I have the same thing on my top screen. It's really not
noticeable when playing a game, though. I figure such things are par
for the course so I'm not worrying about it.
Anonymous
November 22, 2004 9:27:24 PM

"Van" <not@this.time> wrote in message
> My touch screen has a dead pixel (led stays white) on the touch screen of
> the DS. Does anyone else have a pixel that isn't working on their DS?
> Thinking of returning it if this isn't common. I think my PDA had one
> that
> fixed itself. It was fairly common on the PDA's.

I bought 2 - one had stuck pixel, echanged - another bad pixel...exchanged
again to get a good one. So out of the 4 I looked at 2 had bad pixel...looks
like no quality control on these. Nintendo rushing these out with so many
defective units is a very bad sign.
November 23, 2004 12:15:04 AM

Bought mine from future shop in canada. Got it home and it had a dead pixel
on the touch screen. Took it back and exchanged it for the last one they
had, of course testing it in the store before I left.This one is a keeper.
Had the same problem with the first SP I bought as well. A PITA it is. :D

Leo

--
Im looking for Commodore 64/Vic20 Cartridges! Got any? Check out my
tradelist & items for sale at http://www.commodore64.allhell.com

"Van" <not@this.time> wrote in message
> My touch screen has a dead pixel (led stays white) on the touch screen of
> the DS. Does anyone else have a pixel that isn't working on their DS?
> Thinking of returning it if this isn't common. I think my PDA had one
that
> fixed itself. It was fairly common on the PDA's.

Anonymous
November 23, 2004 3:18:39 AM

"Van" <not@this.time> wrote in message news:<nlaod.9151$Qh3.7961@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>...
> My touch screen has a dead pixel (led stays white) on the touch screen of
> the DS. Does anyone else have a pixel that isn't working on their DS?
> Thinking of returning it if this isn't common. I think my PDA had one that
> fixed itself. It was fairly common on the PDA's.

Mine has one on the touch screen on the right hand side, almost
completely off the screen. Looks like it's OK when on the white DS
screen, but when I put in the Metroid demo there's one bright red
pixel. It's not enough to make me return it to find a perfect one. I
also don't think it has to do with quality control since you can't
test every system in all conditions. When I first turned it on, it
looked fine, it's only after I put in the Metroid demo that I noticed
it. No company will be able to test every system, they just do batch
checks like with most electronics.
Anonymous
November 23, 2004 5:23:57 PM

"Jason Costa" <jcwatchdog@msn.com> wrote in message
> "Van" <not@this.time> wrote in message

> also don't think it has to do with quality control since you can't
> test every system in all conditions. When I first turned it on, it
> looked fine, it's only after I put in the Metroid demo that I noticed
> it. No company will be able to test every system, they just do batch
> checks like with most electronics.

I disagree here - dead pixels are a big problem in the manufacture of CCDs
for digital cameras yet most companies are able to pull the majority of bad
ones prior to sale.

The fact that I had to go through 4 DS to get 2 good ones is a bad sign - 50
: 50 on defective units is not good. Also the fact that many folks may not
notice or know enough to return a unit with a bad pixel and still seeing the
number of posts from folks with this issue screams : LACK OF QUALITY
CONTROL....
Anonymous
November 24, 2004 12:01:46 AM

"Raph" <raphs@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<1KHod.10549$Uf.6270@twister.nyroc.rr.com>...

> I disagree here - dead pixels are a big problem in the manufacture of CCDs
> for digital cameras yet most companies are able to pull the majority of bad
> ones prior to sale.
>
> The fact that I had to go through 4 DS to get 2 good ones is a bad sign - 50
> : 50 on defective units is not good. Also the fact that many folks may not
> notice or know enough to return a unit with a bad pixel and still seeing the
> number of posts from folks with this issue screams : LACK OF QUALITY
> CONTROL....

I think people aren't returning units with a bad pixel because it's
not a big deal to 99% of the people out there. Like with mine, I
can't even notice the dead pixel when I'm playing, the main screen is
perfect, I don't look at the touch screen really. On games that I'd
be looking at the touch screen, one pixel off to the side isn't going
to bother me. They're not really "defective" units. They work fine,
and I'm sure the people who didn't get a DS since it's sold out in
their area would be happy with one that has one dead pixel. Life's
too short to nitpick over such a small detail.
Anonymous
November 24, 2004 5:40:29 PM

> I think people aren't returning units with a bad pixel because it's
> not a big deal to 99% of the people out there. Like with mine, I
> can't even notice the dead pixel when I'm playing, the main screen is
> perfect, I don't look at the touch screen really. On games that I'd
> be looking at the touch screen, one pixel off to the side isn't going
> to bother me. They're not really "defective" units. They work fine,
> and I'm sure the people who didn't get a DS since it's sold out in
> their area would be happy with one that has one dead pixel. Life's
> too short to nitpick over such a small detail.

Both of the units with dead pixels I had were in the main screen and very
noticeable during any motion in gameplay. A dead pixel is defective - when
you buy a new product at a premium cost there should be no defect in the
screen.

There is an interesting article on dead pixels in monitors at Tom's Hardware
:

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/display/20030319/
November 24, 2004 8:49:24 PM

> I disagree here - dead pixels are a big problem in the manufacture of CCDs
> for digital cameras yet most companies are able to pull the majority of
bad
> ones prior to sale.
>
> The fact that I had to go through 4 DS to get 2 good ones is a bad sign -
50
> : 50 on defective units is not good. Also the fact that many folks may not
> notice or know enough to return a unit with a bad pixel and still seeing
the
> number of posts from folks with this issue screams : LACK OF QUALITY
> CONTROL....

If large LCD's were quality controlled to ensure 100 percent against having
any dead pixels, the cost would increase 500 percent. Most manufacturers
have a given number of allowed dead/hot pixels before they will do a
replacement. My laptop has developed 3 or 4 dead pixels within a year and a
half, fortunetly they are single dead pixels (quite hard to notice) and
located near the corners of the screen.

That said, I do agree that handheld LCD's should be held to a slightly
higher quality control than large LCD's. They don't need to be pulled for
one or two dead pixels (if they are grouped together in the center of the
screen), but perhaps for clusters and even worse, glass dust. It seemed
with the GBA SP, glass dust under the screen was more of a problem than dead
pixels. (My first SP, that I returned, had a large shard of glass --
overlapping at least six pixels in the screen's center.) I guess it was a
manufacturing thing and not the cleanest environment when the SP was put
together.
November 24, 2004 8:52:06 PM

> higher quality control than large LCD's. They don't need to be pulled
for
> one or two dead pixels (if they are grouped together in the center of the
> screen), but perhaps for clusters and even worse, glass dust. It seemed

Er, "if they are not grouped together in the center..."
November 24, 2004 9:53:03 PM

> My touch screen has a dead pixel (led stays white) on the touch screen of
> the DS. Does anyone else have a pixel that isn't working on their DS?
> Thinking of returning it if this isn't common. I think my PDA had one
that
> fixed itself. It was fairly common on the PDA's.

Just came across this:

Nintendo promises to fix any DS dead pixels
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=57252
Anonymous
November 26, 2004 6:11:21 PM

"Eric" <none@nospam.not> wrote in message
>> My touch screen has a dead pixel (led stays white) on the touch screen of
>> the DS. Does anyone else have a pixel that isn't working on their DS?
>> Thinking of returning it if this isn't common. I think my PDA had one
> that
>> fixed itself. It was fairly common on the PDA's.
>>

> Just came across this:
>
> Nintendo promises to fix any DS dead pixels
> http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=57252

I saw that article the other day and I think it's a good way to handle the
situation...there will definitely be cases where the dead pixel is not
distracting and cases such as the ones I saw that are and need to be
replaced. I am glad that ToysRUs took care of the issue on the spot for me
and let me go on to enjoy my new 'toy'.

There are a couple things that could be improved - size and weight but
otherwise the DS is well done. I think it is well worth the investment.
December 4, 2004 3:43:37 AM

> "Van" <not@this.time> wrote in message
> > My touch screen has a dead pixel (led stays white) on the touch screen
of
> > the DS. Does anyone else have a pixel that isn't working on their DS?
> > Thinking of returning it if this isn't common. I think my PDA had one
> > that
> > fixed itself. It was fairly common on the PDA's.
>
> I bought 2 - one had stuck pixel, echanged - another bad pixel...exchanged
> again to get a good one. So out of the 4 I looked at 2 had bad
pixel...looks
> like no quality control on these. Nintendo rushing these out with so many
> defective units is a very bad sign.

It's just a common occurrence with LCD screens. Most people don't notice or
care so it isn't a huge issue.

--
Sue
Anonymous

Raph wrote:

> I bought 2 - one had stuck pixel, echanged - another bad pixel...exchanged
> again to get a good one. So out of the 4 I looked at 2 had bad pixel...looks
> like no quality control on these. Nintendo rushing these out with so many
> defective units is a very bad sign.

Yeah, that's quite a large sample your extrapolating from.
Anonymous
December 6, 2004 8:32:02 PM

"John Salerno" <johnjsal@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote in message
> Raph wrote:
>
>> I bought 2 - one had stuck pixel, echanged - another bad
>> pixel...exchanged again to get a good one. So out of the 4 I looked at 2
>> had bad pixel...looks like no quality control on these. Nintendo rushing
>> these out with so many defective units is a very bad sign.
>
> Yeah, that's quite a large sample your extrapolating from.

Granted I may just be unlucky, but having to open 4 boxes to get two good
units seems pretty bad. Apparently there were enough complaints to have
Nintendo make an official reply though.

In any case, not all will be that noticeable - it depends if the pixel is
stuck on or off and where it is located. Both of the ones I had were very
irritating and distracting with any motion in the game.
!