Dead pixel on DS

My touch screen has a dead pixel (led stays white) on the touch screen of
the DS. Does anyone else have a pixel that isn't working on their DS?
Thinking of returning it if this isn't common. I think my PDA had one that
fixed itself. It was fairly common on the PDA's.
17 answers Last reply
More about dead pixel

    > My touch screen has a dead pixel (led stays white) on the touch screen of
    > the DS. Does anyone else have a pixel that isn't working on their DS?
    > Thinking of returning it if this isn't common. I think my PDA had one
    that
    > fixed itself. It was fairly common on the PDA's.

    Great.. I was hoping not to be reading about "dead pixels" with the DS so
    soon, since I'll probably be picking one up in the coming week. When the SP
    was first released, I returned two before finding one that was acceptable.
    It wasn't so much dead or hot pixels with the SP, but dust (appeared to be
    large glass dust) under the screen. (Manufacturing process?)

    Don't have any pixel problems with my PDA's (Casios), fortunetly. My newest
    laptop has developed three dead pixels within a year and half, but they
    don't bother me. Game handhelds, since the screen is so small anyway, drive
    me nuts with dead/hot pixels (or large dust from the manufacturer). I'd
    return it...

    "Van" <not@this.time> wrote in message
    > My touch screen has a dead pixel (led stays white) on the touch screen of
    > the DS. Does anyone else have a pixel that isn't working on their DS?
    > Thinking of returning it if this isn't common. I think my PDA had one
    > that
    > fixed itself. It was fairly common on the PDA's.

    I had the same problem. My DS had two pixels that would remain blue. I
    thought it would go away or I could ignore it but it got on my nerves. I
    exchanged it and glad I did. I posted my story about it and review here:

    http://www.hdtvarcade.com/hdtvforum/viewtopic.php?t=1077

    "Van" <not@this.time> wrote in

    > My touch screen has a dead pixel (led stays white) on the touch screen
    > of the DS. Does anyone else have a pixel that isn't working on their
    > DS? Thinking of returning it if this isn't common. I think my PDA had
    > one that fixed itself. It was fairly common on the PDA's.

    I had a hot pixel (blue) on the one I picked up from Fry's this morning.
    Luckily, I had pre-order at the local GameCrazy as a backup plan, and it
    actually came in on time, so I was able to buy from GC and return the Fry's
    one.

    Return took forever though; the CSR's kept playing with the damned thing
    instead of ringing it up.

    Haven't noticed any dust or anything like that that speaks of awful quality
    control. Dead pixels happen with any LCD product; many people just don't
    notice or mind them.

    Geo
    --
    George Mealer
    geo*AT*snarksoft*DOT*com

    "Alright, it's Saturday night...I have no date, a two-liter bottle
    of Shasta, and my all-Rush mix tape. Let's rock!" -- Philip J. Fry

    Van wrote:

    > My touch screen has a dead pixel (led stays white) on the touch
    > screen of the DS. Does anyone else have a pixel that isn't working
    > on their DS? Thinking of returning it if this isn't common. I think
    > my PDA had one that fixed itself. It was fairly common on the PDA's.

    Yeah I have the same thing on my top screen. It's really not
    noticeable when playing a game, though. I figure such things are par
    for the course so I'm not worrying about it.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    "Van" <not@this.time> wrote in message
    > My touch screen has a dead pixel (led stays white) on the touch screen of
    > the DS. Does anyone else have a pixel that isn't working on their DS?
    > Thinking of returning it if this isn't common. I think my PDA had one
    > that
    > fixed itself. It was fairly common on the PDA's.

    I bought 2 - one had stuck pixel, echanged - another bad pixel...exchanged
    again to get a good one. So out of the 4 I looked at 2 had bad pixel...looks
    like no quality control on these. Nintendo rushing these out with so many
    defective units is a very bad sign.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    Bought mine from future shop in canada. Got it home and it had a dead pixel
    on the touch screen. Took it back and exchanged it for the last one they
    had, of course testing it in the store before I left.This one is a keeper.
    Had the same problem with the first SP I bought as well. A PITA it is. :D

    Leo

    --
    Im looking for Commodore 64/Vic20 Cartridges! Got any? Check out my
    tradelist & items for sale at http://www.commodore64.allhell.com

    "Van" <not@this.time> wrote in message
    > My touch screen has a dead pixel (led stays white) on the touch screen of
    > the DS. Does anyone else have a pixel that isn't working on their DS?
    > Thinking of returning it if this isn't common. I think my PDA had one
    that
    > fixed itself. It was fairly common on the PDA's.

  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    "Van" <not@this.time> wrote in message news:<nlaod.9151$Qh3.7961@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>...
    > My touch screen has a dead pixel (led stays white) on the touch screen of
    > the DS. Does anyone else have a pixel that isn't working on their DS?
    > Thinking of returning it if this isn't common. I think my PDA had one that
    > fixed itself. It was fairly common on the PDA's.

    Mine has one on the touch screen on the right hand side, almost
    completely off the screen. Looks like it's OK when on the white DS
    screen, but when I put in the Metroid demo there's one bright red
    pixel. It's not enough to make me return it to find a perfect one. I
    also don't think it has to do with quality control since you can't
    test every system in all conditions. When I first turned it on, it
    looked fine, it's only after I put in the Metroid demo that I noticed
    it. No company will be able to test every system, they just do batch
    checks like with most electronics.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    "Jason Costa" <jcwatchdog@msn.com> wrote in message
    > "Van" <not@this.time> wrote in message

    > also don't think it has to do with quality control since you can't
    > test every system in all conditions. When I first turned it on, it
    > looked fine, it's only after I put in the Metroid demo that I noticed
    > it. No company will be able to test every system, they just do batch
    > checks like with most electronics.

    I disagree here - dead pixels are a big problem in the manufacture of CCDs
    for digital cameras yet most companies are able to pull the majority of bad
    ones prior to sale.

    The fact that I had to go through 4 DS to get 2 good ones is a bad sign - 50
    : 50 on defective units is not good. Also the fact that many folks may not
    notice or know enough to return a unit with a bad pixel and still seeing the
    number of posts from folks with this issue screams : LACK OF QUALITY
    CONTROL....
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    "Raph" <raphs@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<1KHod.10549$Uf.6270@twister.nyroc.rr.com>...

    > I disagree here - dead pixels are a big problem in the manufacture of CCDs
    > for digital cameras yet most companies are able to pull the majority of bad
    > ones prior to sale.
    >
    > The fact that I had to go through 4 DS to get 2 good ones is a bad sign - 50
    > : 50 on defective units is not good. Also the fact that many folks may not
    > notice or know enough to return a unit with a bad pixel and still seeing the
    > number of posts from folks with this issue screams : LACK OF QUALITY
    > CONTROL....

    I think people aren't returning units with a bad pixel because it's
    not a big deal to 99% of the people out there. Like with mine, I
    can't even notice the dead pixel when I'm playing, the main screen is
    perfect, I don't look at the touch screen really. On games that I'd
    be looking at the touch screen, one pixel off to the side isn't going
    to bother me. They're not really "defective" units. They work fine,
    and I'm sure the people who didn't get a DS since it's sold out in
    their area would be happy with one that has one dead pixel. Life's
    too short to nitpick over such a small detail.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    > I think people aren't returning units with a bad pixel because it's
    > not a big deal to 99% of the people out there. Like with mine, I
    > can't even notice the dead pixel when I'm playing, the main screen is
    > perfect, I don't look at the touch screen really. On games that I'd
    > be looking at the touch screen, one pixel off to the side isn't going
    > to bother me. They're not really "defective" units. They work fine,
    > and I'm sure the people who didn't get a DS since it's sold out in
    > their area would be happy with one that has one dead pixel. Life's
    > too short to nitpick over such a small detail.

    Both of the units with dead pixels I had were in the main screen and very
    noticeable during any motion in gameplay. A dead pixel is defective - when
    you buy a new product at a premium cost there should be no defect in the
    screen.

    There is an interesting article on dead pixels in monitors at Tom's Hardware
    :

    http://graphics.tomshardware.com/display/20030319/
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    > I disagree here - dead pixels are a big problem in the manufacture of CCDs
    > for digital cameras yet most companies are able to pull the majority of
    bad
    > ones prior to sale.
    >
    > The fact that I had to go through 4 DS to get 2 good ones is a bad sign -
    50
    > : 50 on defective units is not good. Also the fact that many folks may not
    > notice or know enough to return a unit with a bad pixel and still seeing
    the
    > number of posts from folks with this issue screams : LACK OF QUALITY
    > CONTROL....

    If large LCD's were quality controlled to ensure 100 percent against having
    any dead pixels, the cost would increase 500 percent. Most manufacturers
    have a given number of allowed dead/hot pixels before they will do a
    replacement. My laptop has developed 3 or 4 dead pixels within a year and a
    half, fortunetly they are single dead pixels (quite hard to notice) and
    located near the corners of the screen.

    That said, I do agree that handheld LCD's should be held to a slightly
    higher quality control than large LCD's. They don't need to be pulled for
    one or two dead pixels (if they are grouped together in the center of the
    screen), but perhaps for clusters and even worse, glass dust. It seemed
    with the GBA SP, glass dust under the screen was more of a problem than dead
    pixels. (My first SP, that I returned, had a large shard of glass --
    overlapping at least six pixels in the screen's center.) I guess it was a
    manufacturing thing and not the cleanest environment when the SP was put
    together.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    > higher quality control than large LCD's. They don't need to be pulled
    for
    > one or two dead pixels (if they are grouped together in the center of the
    > screen), but perhaps for clusters and even worse, glass dust. It seemed

    Er, "if they are not grouped together in the center..."
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    > My touch screen has a dead pixel (led stays white) on the touch screen of
    > the DS. Does anyone else have a pixel that isn't working on their DS?
    > Thinking of returning it if this isn't common. I think my PDA had one
    that
    > fixed itself. It was fairly common on the PDA's.

    Just came across this:

    Nintendo promises to fix any DS dead pixels
    http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=57252
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    "Eric" <none@nospam.not> wrote in message
    >> My touch screen has a dead pixel (led stays white) on the touch screen of
    >> the DS. Does anyone else have a pixel that isn't working on their DS?
    >> Thinking of returning it if this isn't common. I think my PDA had one
    > that
    >> fixed itself. It was fairly common on the PDA's.
    >>

    > Just came across this:
    >
    > Nintendo promises to fix any DS dead pixels
    > http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=57252

    I saw that article the other day and I think it's a good way to handle the
    situation...there will definitely be cases where the dead pixel is not
    distracting and cases such as the ones I saw that are and need to be
    replaced. I am glad that ToysRUs took care of the issue on the spot for me
    and let me go on to enjoy my new 'toy'.

    There are a couple things that could be improved - size and weight but
    otherwise the DS is well done. I think it is well worth the investment.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    > "Van" <not@this.time> wrote in message
    > > My touch screen has a dead pixel (led stays white) on the touch screen
    of
    > > the DS. Does anyone else have a pixel that isn't working on their DS?
    > > Thinking of returning it if this isn't common. I think my PDA had one
    > > that
    > > fixed itself. It was fairly common on the PDA's.
    >
    > I bought 2 - one had stuck pixel, echanged - another bad pixel...exchanged
    > again to get a good one. So out of the 4 I looked at 2 had bad
    pixel...looks
    > like no quality control on these. Nintendo rushing these out with so many
    > defective units is a very bad sign.

    It's just a common occurrence with LCD screens. Most people don't notice or
    care so it isn't a huge issue.

    --
    Sue
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    Raph wrote:

    > I bought 2 - one had stuck pixel, echanged - another bad pixel...exchanged
    > again to get a good one. So out of the 4 I looked at 2 had bad pixel...looks
    > like no quality control on these. Nintendo rushing these out with so many
    > defective units is a very bad sign.

    Yeah, that's quite a large sample your extrapolating from.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

    "John Salerno" <johnjsal@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote in message
    > Raph wrote:
    >
    >> I bought 2 - one had stuck pixel, echanged - another bad
    >> pixel...exchanged again to get a good one. So out of the 4 I looked at 2
    >> had bad pixel...looks like no quality control on these. Nintendo rushing
    >> these out with so many defective units is a very bad sign.
    >
    > Yeah, that's quite a large sample your extrapolating from.

    Granted I may just be unlucky, but having to open 4 boxes to get two good
    units seems pretty bad. Apparently there were enough complaints to have
    Nintendo make an official reply though.

    In any case, not all will be that noticeable - it depends if the pixel is
    stuck on or off and where it is located. Both of the ones I had were very
    irritating and distracting with any motion in the game.

Console Gaming Touch-Screen PDA Video Games