Sign in with
Your question

2 PCs, 1 DSL Modem

Last response: in Networking
September 2, 2010 7:24:37 PM

So here is my predicament, I have this PC connected to a DSL modem (Dynalink RTA1320)(has only one ethernet output) and I want to connect my other PC in my other house (300ft away), but I can't use a Router, Hub, or Switch because I don't have access/funds to get one right now.

I also only have 1 external IP address, and only one NIC on this pc (So I can't bridge them).

Is there any possible way to do this? can I splice the cable and add another Cat5E cable onto it and use it that way? would I be able to use both computers at the same time?

would there be any issues to this or any workarounds? thanks

More about : pcs dsl modem

September 2, 2010 10:21:43 PM

2 things you will run into to.

300ft is pretty much the max for a Cat5 run, and if you add a splice, you will be adding tons of signal digradation. You will have what will probably be a very unreliable signal to the other end.

The other thing, ff you split the cable, only one of the computers will be able to use the internet at a time. When you want to use one PC, you will need to shut off the other one before turning it on.

A cheap router is, well, cheap, http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=P...

If you can afford a 300ft CAT5 cable, you should be able to afford a $30-$40 router to get it hooked up. Sell some blood or something :-)
m
l
!