Upgrade? do i need one

secolliyn

Distinguished
May 3, 2006
My question is if my system could use an upgrade any bottlenecks that i may not see

System spec
Intel DX58SO (Motherboard)
Intel I7 920 Stock
Stock Intel Cooling
8GB DDR3 1600
750GB SATA 2 HD
XFX ATI 5770
600 Watt Corsair Power Supply
Running Windows 7 64 bit

I was thinking of getting an SSD at least a 120GB as a next upgrade but i am wondering if there is anything else that might need an upgrade

what i use my computer for from most to least important
Watching TV Shows/Movies
Encoding TV shows/Movies
Games- Fallout3, Fallout: New Vegas, Oblivion, Borderlands, Also up coming games like Skyrim, Battlefield 3

Thank you for your Advice

AbdullahG

Distinguished
An SSD would be a good investment, especially when prices drop. Boot times will shorten and read and write speeds will increase ( I believe just read speeds). It's nice to have an SSD, but not necessary (in some cases). Overall, your current PC is very nice. You can get an aftermarket CPU cooler and OC your CPU. You could also get a new PSU and get a 2nd 5770 (or just keep the current PSU and get a better card; your call). Your motherboard supports SLI/Xfire, so that's a plus, but I'm not sure about OCing, So I don't know how well that will turn out. Overall, there aren't really any major issues present.

secolliyn

Distinguished
May 3, 2006

My motherboard has options for OCing but i have never done any OCing at all so i would rather keep stock speeds....

you also mentioned the PS is a 600 watt Corsair with my system as it is not enough power if i decided to Xfire?
I will say that i am not a fan of SLI or Xfire and if i was to get a more powerful video card what would you recommend?

lilotimz

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
I have a good hunch your PSU is the corsair CX 600V2 or GS600 both of which would run crossfire 5770s without a problem just fine.

overclocking can increase your performance and is quite easy. Plenty of guides online on how to do it and its relatively harmless as long as you watch the temps.

Out of all the options you have... the biggest one would be a GPU upgrade to something along the lines of a 6870 or a gtx 560 at the minimum.

Hell.. my upgrade would prolly be a gtx 560 ti or a 6950 if they are cheap on black fri and i havn't really overclocked that much. (3.4-3.5ghz when i play CPU dependent games)