Which PC build is better for gaming?

jwilson03

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011
I want to build a PC for gaming, and I want to purchase the parts already but would like to know which of the two build would help me get the most fps while playing games like Crysis 2 and Grand Theft Auto 4 on max settings.

I have configured two types, and both around $700. (Without monitors, and other misc. accessories)

1. AMD Desktop
- AMD Phenom II X4 970 (CPU)
- MSI Radeon HD 6850 (Graphics Card)
- GIGABYTE GA-990XA-UD3 (990X Chipset Motherboard)
- 8GB G.Skill SNIPER 1333 (RAM)
- 750W Power Supply
- 1TB Hard Drive (Seagate)
- Case w/ about 6-7 fans. (NOT STOCK FANS)

2. Intel Desktop
- Intel Core i5-2400 (CPU)
- MSI Radeon HD 6850 (Graphics Card)
- ASUS P8P67 LE (Intel P67 Chipset Motherboard)
- G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (RAM)
- 750W Power Supply
- 1TB Hard Drive (Seagate)
- Case w/ about 6-7 fans. (NOT STOCK FANS)

So overall, not just in fps, which is the best build? (both run me $702) Also, I don't plan on overclocking, FOR NOW. I will eventually get a liquid cooling system, to overclock better, but for now, none.

The Intel is the stronger processor . But cant be overclocked , and the board is a bit too budget

The AMD build would let you update to the next generation Bulldozer processors when theyre released in september because you have selected an AM3+ motherboard
I'd take a gamble and build the AMD system but with a 955 [ or even cheaper cpu] knowing I would upgrade that in the near future

Whether either will let you play games on maximum is also about the resolution of your monitor . The total number of pixels to calculate and "draw" matters A LOT .

jwilson03

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2011
Ok. I re-configured the Intel i5 Rig to include an Intel i5-2500k CPU. Also downgraded the power supply to a 550W. The Graphics card, Ram(4GB), and hard drive remain the same. The motherboard is something I am not to gifted in. Which would be a good mother board for around $130-150?