Reliable, cheap and very low power graphics

cablechewer

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
I have a machine I am using as my home server and Hyper-V lab box. The motherboard has onboard video, but if I hook up a VGA display and a DVI they both display the same picture. I think it is an 880G board and I have tried numerous driver versions in the hope of getting it to work properly as a dual display system. I also tried a DVI splitter, but the motherboard isn't dual-link.

I am considering giving up on the IGP for dual display and going with a cheap video card.

I don't need 3D performance. I want a passively cooled card with very low TDP and Idle power that can handle stretching the desktop of W2K8 R2 across 2 1280x1024 monitors. My inventory of monitors includes 2 DVI panels and 2 VGA (D-Sub connector) panels. Unfortunately I have 1 DVI and 1 VGA in Brand A (both are black) and the other 2 panels are a different brand in white/beige cases. If I want the displays to match on my desk I will need a card that handles DVI and D-Sub connectors or an adapter for one of them.

I could change out the motherboard, but that is more expensive and I have a stable board right now.

Any advice? I haven't been having much luck finding TDP and Idle power for the low end video cards I see on Newegg. I am a little frustrated because I have the machine idling at less than 50 watts and any video card will push me higher.

Thanks

Cablechewer

johndabeast

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011

Very low end cards just draw the motherboard's power, so they should be fine.