Sign in with
Your question

8800GT heating issues (I know right? another one)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 7, 2011 8:47:45 PM

Hi guys,

Let me jump right into the subject - I'm having some problems with my GPU overheating like mad (it stays at around 70-75 degrees idle; now at 65 after I tried cleaning the fan).

It gives me headaches even in shitty games like WoW..I can't even attempt to play decent looking ones without it reaching 100+ degrees which is bad.

I want to know what I can do to decrease these temps. Is it my case? it doesn't have fans and my GPU has its stock fan which is bad; I've had this config since late 2007 so it is old as well. Any advice regarding the steps I can take to decrease the temp and do some decent gaming would be greatly appreciated.

here are my specs:

Video card: BFG Tech GeForce 8800 GT OC 512MB

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R

Proc: Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Box

RAM: Corsair Dominator TWIN2X2048

Case: Antec Tower SONATA 3

Power source: (Antec Tower SONATA 3) EarthWatts 500W

..a little more info:

-I don't have a job atm so money is little to nonexistent; changing the pc is out of the question as well as buying a new GPU;
-I did get a new monitor a while back and am using 1920x1080 as a res when gaming (maybe this can be a factor as well since it needs to render more pixels..I dunno)
-I am using RivaTuner for years now and the fan is at 100% when reaching those temps;
-even when I turn down the graphics settings in game to the lowest possible or try lower resolutions - it still burns like an oven,
-I'm looking mainly for some advice regarding the compatibility of the case with the GPU/ airflow; anything I can do to improve my situation with as little money expenditure as possible.

Thank you for your time.

More about : 8800gt heating issues

a c 173 U Graphics card
April 7, 2011 9:01:56 PM

OK this is what you can do and have down this my self as I have one my self. You need to remove the cooler and clean the old crappy compound from off both the core and the heatsink. Very simple with alcohol and some paper towels. Once that is done with either compressed air or a horse hair brush clean the dust from off both sides of the card aka the pcb. Then try to clean the cooler. You don't have to remove the plate but either blast with compressed air or with the old lungs in the exhaust end of the card to push the fluff aka dust to the fan end of the card. A bunch should come out. Take care of that dust then once done lift up on the plate slightly and blow again. More dust should come out. Once you are done to ware there is no more dust no matter how much you blow re apply some new compound like arctic silver 5, yes there is better so let it serve as an example. Reassemble the card and give it a few runs. Temps should be a lot lower however they will improve over the next few days to ware they are slightly lower than when you had cleaned the card. It should idle in the 50s unless you have a hot and humid room.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 7, 2011 10:18:15 PM

It's an overclocked card, you could probably lower the temps by clocking it back down to the 8800GT's regular clocks.
Other than cleaning it or getting a new card there's not a whole lot you can do. The card is capable of over 100c though.
m
l
Related resources
a c 173 U Graphics card
April 7, 2011 11:12:30 PM

geekapproved said:
It's an overclocked card, you could probably lower the temps by clocking it back down to the 8800GT's regular clocks.
Other than cleaning it or getting a new card there's not a whole lot you can do. The card is capable of over 100c though.

But in real life most cards do not last very long at 100c and above. Sure they can run for a while at those temps and above but not indefinitely. I got a 9800gt that is rock solid above 110c on stock clocks but doesn't mean that I should run it that high. Personally just by keeping the card at 70c or below on load will help to insure that the card will run for years beyond the point of being obsolete. Go through my little guide that is for a 8800/9800gt with the reference cooler. The same will apply to many single slot 8800/9800gt out there.
m
l
April 8, 2011 11:49:04 AM

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the feedback. I still have it within warranty so I'll prolly just take it in and explain my prob, maybe add that it's making artifacts and hope they open it up and sort the prob out for me.

I'm not that hardware savvy..I tried opening the case and it all went fine until it came down to the final screw and by the love of all that is holy - that stupid thing wouldn't budge. After 30 min of gently trying to get it out without touching the connectors or otherwise damaging the gpu, I called it quits. Hopefully they won't notice that and void my warranty.

I was thinking of maybe adding a third party cooler to it..how easy would you reckon it would be for me to do that? just remove the case and add it directly to the gpu right?

@nforce4max: I looked at the stickies on the Graphics and Displays section but couldn't find anything..can you give me a link to it mate? much appreciated.
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
April 8, 2011 1:22:33 PM

Is the screw stripped or aka broken to ware the head looks like this?

m
l
April 8, 2011 2:34:06 PM

It wasn't when I started :D 

They came out easily enough except for the last one and after numerous tries on it I gave up like I said..it's no where near the one you posted but I did use a screwdriver that was bigger than the screw (because I couldn't do it with a smaller one).

tl;dr only partially like your picture; it's still possible to get it out by using an electric screwdriver of the right size I think.
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
April 8, 2011 3:15:05 PM

I don't see why this is being made to be more difficult than it is. Really it is a very simple task to remove a cooler even with a whole bunch of stripped screws. Cisco 2 aka one of my classes that I am taking now that is complicated. Use a pair of pliers if you need to. I pretty much posted all you needed to know how to clean this card.
m
l
!