Will a PCI-E 2.1 GPU work in a PCIE x16 Slot? [M4N68T-M]

yummerzzz

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
So, I was wondering is a PCI-E 2.1 Graphics Card will work in a Mobo with a PCI-E x16 slot, in this case that Mobo being the M4N68T, I've heard putting a PCI-E 2.1 into a PCI-E x16 slot can lead to... complications, and was wondering what these were, I'm planning on putting a Powercooler HD 6790 into that slot, but it's interface is PCI-E 2.1, what are your views about this?

~Post, thanks in advance for any help given.

benski

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
Chances are it will work fine, but you're better off if you can find a card thats listed as 2.0. Some older 1.0 slots have problems with 2.1 cards, although I've heard people say that all cards now are 2.1 no matter what the label says so I don't know. I would think since your motherboard isn't all that old that you would be fine with a 2.1 card but some people do have problems.

does this really have to be covered every week? someone please write up a sticky about pcie compatability! All pcie versions are compatable, some older bios's in pcie 1.x motherboards dont like newer pcie 2.1 cards. It comes down to BIOS support from your motherboard manufacturer.