Need help on my motherboard

wicked1001

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2012
Basically, I bought a Power color Radeon 6670HD DDR3. My mother board is the Foxconn 2A8C...
My graphics card does not fit, its too big basically.. I got my pc from PC World stupidly and I was wondering is their a way of just upgrading my Motherboard so my graphics card does fit? I don't want to pay out a lot of money neither, as I'm really tight on it at the moment. I only want my graphics card to fit really, so I don't need added features or what not. I'm not very tech in computer technology, so go easy on me! aha

Any help is very appreciated!

Lewis.

Can you supply links to all your other parts?
Or, at least a description of the cpu, ram, motherboard, and psu.

If a graphics card does not fit, then I suspect you bought a card that uses a pcie slot, and your motherboard has a agp slot.

If so, return the card and look for a agp card. Unfortunately, they are near obsolete, and cost a premium.

If you will upgrade your motherboard, then perhaps it is time to upgrade the cpu too. It actually may cost less than you think.

wicked1001

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2012
Hey thanks for replying very fast!

CPU Type; DualCore Intel Pentium E5400, 2700 MHz (13.5 x 200)
Ram; 3gb (if thats what you're after.)
Motherboard ; Foxconn 2A8C

I'm not sure what a PSU is... Hope this helps.

PSU = Power Supply Unit.
For a 6670, you need a 400w psu.
Look at the data plate on the psu to see what you have.
Many pre-built pc's have a psu that is only capable of powering the originally installed components.
http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/amd-radeon-hd-6000/hd-6670/pages/amd-radeon-hd-6670-overview.aspx#3

Look at the graphics card box, and tell us if it is a AGP card, or a PCIE card.
Whichever type, it needs to match the graphics card slot type on the motherboard.

If you bought a pcie type card, and your motherboard has a AGP type slot, you need to change one, or the other.

A motherboard change may also entail a ram change.
If you download and run CPU-Z, you will display the motherboard details and the ram details.

wicked1001

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2012
Yeah its a PCI Express.. I have a 400w psu too.
What has annoyed me is the fact I told all this to a computer shop and they recommended this graphics card for my PC type..
I don't have the money to throw on a new computer.. nor do I have enough to spend on pricey parts because this graphics card was 60 pound itself.

I don't have a solution for this at all.. Unless there is a way I can upgrade for a cheap amount then please do explain kind Sir.

Option 1) Return the 6670, and buy an agp type card. This is not a great idea because you will pay twice as much for a card that is not even as strong. If you can return the 6670, you should be able to find a agp graphics card on e-bay for a low price.
Use this link to tom's graphics card heirarchy list to compare the merits of different cards:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

Option 2) Replace the motherboard. This is doable.
You will need a socket 775 motherboard that supports your E5400. Fortunately, they are not that expensive.
Here is one such, the ASRock G41M-S3:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157242
Do check the motherboard maker's web site to verify that your E5400 is supported.
Here is a link to the associated motherboard page:
http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=G41M-S3
and a link to the supported cpu page:
http://www.asrock.com/mb/cpu.asp?Model=G41M-S3

Do not take this as an exclusive recommendation, or even a good one.
There are other motherboards that should do the job also.

One possible problem is that your copy of windows is probably oem, not retail. As such the license is tied to the motherboard and should not be transferred to another PC(AKA motherboard)
Microsoft may waive that issue if the motherboard is defective, and a identical replacement is not available. They mostly want to guard against piracy, and need to be assured that the os will be used on only one pc.

Option3) A new build. Your current motherboard and cpu are several generations old. I hate to pour good money on updating obsolete equipment.Why not save up for a new build?

wicked1001

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2012

EDIT: I have fitted the graphics card by taking out the back slots on the case, then securing them. But it did not go to any sort of screens when the PC turned on. I looked again, and once again, my pc lacked the watts at only 300... I'm not sure if this was the only problem or if there were further things wrong..

I would love to buy a new pc but to save up in this time of going to University in September would be suicide as I have to buy many other things, deposits etc. If its only a case of upgrading the power supply that will be awesome. But if that isn't the case then maybe I'll have to buy power supply and motherboard..

I have fitted the graphics card by taking out the back slots on the case, then securing them. But it did not go to any sort of screens when the PC turned on. I
That is what you are supposed to do.
Since you were able to seat the card, you did have a pci-e graphics card slot. Good.
A agp slot is keyed differently, so a pcie card would not have fit.

As far as I know, the 6670 does not need an 6 pin aux power lead from the psu.
It therefore should be able to be powered sufficiently from the motherboard pcie slot, even with a 300w psu.
If the psu is of marginal quality, possibly not.

1) did you plug your monitor into the 6670?
2) did you disable in the bios, the integrated graphics adapter.

wicked1001

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2012
Thats good news. And answer to those questions;

1) I did not... Do you mean take the blue cable out of the main source but plug it into the card slot instead?

2) I am unsure on how you would do such a thing, i didn't think integrated graphics really bothered a part in it.

I don't know what color the cable from your monitor is, but it should be plugged into one of the ports on the graphics card if you want to see anything. Try that.

I would expect that the bios would assign the new graphics card as the operative graphics adapter when it detects it, and may or may not disable the integrated adapter.

wicked1001

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2012
Mate, You have been such a great help, really. I have finally sorted it all out, except the problem with the game I got the card for servers are down! ahah

If I can help you in any way, or if there's a thing that benefits you, please do tell me, I am very grateful, not many people offer help such as yours.

Thanks so much!

Lewis