Mike

Splendid

I was just wondering if the monster spawning problem would ever get
fixed? For instance, in BG1, you are supposed to be attacked by one
wolf, or one gibberling. But in BG1tutu, you are attacked by many.

homerj

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 22:18:08 -0400, Mike <Mike@nowhere.com> wrote:

>I was just wondering if the monster spawning problem would ever get
>fixed? For instance, in BG1, you are supposed to be attacked by one
>wolf, or one gibberling. But in BG1tutu, you are attacked by many.

Bad news coming!

Its not a problem, its a feature ;)

Its something to do with the way the BG2 engine does spawning
differently from bg1. It does not take into account the number of
people in the party, so you always get a lot more monsters.

You just have to learn to run a way a lot more in the beginning :)

HTH

HJ

HomerJ wrote:
>>I was just wondering if the monster spawning problem would ever get
>>fixed? For instance, in BG1, you are supposed to be attacked by one
>>wolf, or one gibberling. But in BG1tutu, you are attacked by many.
>

> Bad news coming!
>
> Its not a problem, its a feature ;)

Good news coming, on the other hand, because it is being fixed. Watch
for Fixpack updates.

- Sim

Mike

Splendid

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 10:49:13 GMT, SimDing0 <SimDing0@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Good news coming, on the other hand, because it is being fixed. Watch
>for Fixpack updates.

Do you have an ETA? It isn't going to accommodate soloers is it? Sorry
for being annoying but between tutu and the virtue mod, I am really
looking forward to playing BG again. :)

"HomerJ" <Homer@Homer.com> wrote in message
> On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 22:18:08 -0400, Mike <Mike@nowhere.com> wrote:
>
> >I was just wondering if the monster spawning problem would ever get
> >fixed? For instance, in BG1, you are supposed to be attacked by one
> >wolf, or one gibberling. But in BG1tutu, you are attacked by many.

How does BG1 account for it? I have less challenging (and this is with
Tactics even) monster spawnings in BG1 than I do in BG2. Has your
group of four (in my case it was PC, Imoen, Khalid, Jaheira) ever
been jumped by 7 archers and their four kobold companions? This is
as you're making your way from FAI to Nashkel - one arrow and blam!

Mike

Splendid

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 14:22:18 GMT, "kevin" <completely@invalid.com>
wrote:

>How does BG1 account for it? I have less challenging (and this is with
>Tactics even) monster spawnings in BG1 than I do in BG2. Has your
>group of four (in my case it was PC, Imoen, Khalid, Jaheira) ever
>been jumped by 7 archers and their four kobold companions? This is
>as you're making your way from FAI to Nashkel - one arrow and blam!

Yes that is a random encounter that happens in between maps. I wish
one of the mods would just get rid of it. That has nothing to do with
Tutu or Tactics. Those random encounters are difficult until you gain
some levels.

"kevin" <completely@invalid.com> wrote in message

> "HomerJ" <Homer@Homer.com> wrote in message
> > On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 22:18:08 -0400, Mike <Mike@nowhere.com> wrote:
> >
> > >I was just wondering if the monster spawning problem would ever get
> > >fixed? For instance, in BG1, you are supposed to be attacked by one
> > >wolf, or one gibberling. But in BG1tutu, you are attacked by many.
>
> How does BG1 account for it? I have less challenging (and this is with
> Tactics even) monster spawnings in BG1 than I do in BG2. Has your
> group of four (in my case it was PC, Imoen, Khalid, Jaheira) ever
> been jumped by 7 archers and their four kobold companions? This is
> as you're making your way from FAI to Nashkel - one arrow and blam!

Oh, I meant to add that I don't use Tutu - this is just the vanilla BG1.

Mike wrote:

> Do you have an ETA? It isn't going to accommodate soloers is it?

I'm told BG1 took into account party size, so this will too. I can't
give an ETA, unfortunately; it's slow and tedious work.

Sorry
> for being annoying but between tutu and the virtue mod, I am really
> looking forward to playing BG again. :)

You'll probably enjoy it when I get around to making Virtue for Tutu,
but that's even further down the todo list, so don't hold your breath. :)

- Sim

Mike

Splendid

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 16:30:45 GMT, SimDing0 <SimDing0@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>You'll probably enjoy it when I get around to making Virtue for Tutu,
>but that's even further down the todo list, so don't hold your breath. :)

Heh. You mean the virtue mod does not work with Tutu? I installed it.
I saw the new virtue stat so I assumed it was working. :)

Mike wrote:
> I was just wondering if the monster spawning problem would ever get
> fixed? For instance, in BG1, you are supposed to be attacked by one
> wolf, or one gibberling. But in BG1tutu, you are attacked by many.

Why don't you ask in the TuTu forums over here
(http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=846998fb47874e9ea2404e5bbff044f7&board=46.0)

Mike

Splendid

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 16:45:26 +0800, Phillip Bryant
<phill.bryant@spam-thou-not.gmail.com> wrote:

>Why don't you ask in the TuTu forums over here
>(http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=846998fb47874e9ea2404e5bbff044f7&board=46.0)

Only if I can not get answers here. I prefer usenet.

"Mike" <Mike@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 14:22:18 GMT, "kevin" <completely@invalid.com>
> wrote:
>
> >How does BG1 account for it? I have less challenging (and this is with
> >Tactics even) monster spawnings in BG1 than I do in BG2. Has your
> >group of four (in my case it was PC, Imoen, Khalid, Jaheira) ever
> >been jumped by 7 archers and their four kobold companions? This is
> >as you're making your way from FAI to Nashkel - one arrow and blam!
>
> Yes that is a random encounter that happens in between maps. I wish
> one of the mods would just get rid of it.

I do too. I meant, of course, that I have more challenging ambushes
in BG1 than I do in BG2, but I guess the context made that clear. My
thoughts, slow as they might be, sometimes seem to rush ahead of my
typing...

Je la 27/08/04, Mike skribis:

>>You'll probably enjoy it when I get around to making Virtue for Tutu,
>>but that's even further down the todo list, so don't hold your breath. :)
> Heh. You mean the virtue mod does not work with Tutu? I installed it.
> I saw the new virtue stat so I assumed it was working. :)

But if nobody codes virtue's changes (caused by quests/acts/killings) it
would be always the same -- and then pretty useless :)
--
Fare Well! http://snurl.com/dialog
G http://www.fiag.it

Mike

Splendid

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 22:38:38 +0200, Antonio 'Gandalf' Favata
<gandalf@ithn.net> wrote:

>But if nobody codes virtue's changes (caused by quests/acts/killings) it
>would be always the same -- and then pretty useless :)

Yeah I noticed that my reputation and virtue is not changing no matter
what evil acts I commit. Well, I can live without the virtue stuff,
but I think I will wait for the next update of Tutu anyway. I don't
really care for all the monster spawning. Can get tedious. Are new
versions of Tutu mentioned here in this newsgroup?

Mike wrote:

> Heh. You mean the virtue mod does not work with Tutu? I installed it.
> I saw the new virtue stat so I assumed it was working. :)

The coding for it to show up on the record screen will work fine, yes.
Unfortunately, nothing in game will actually change it. It's relatively
trivial to code the alterations in, but the hard part is identifying
what parts of the game should have an impact.

- Sim

Antonio 'Gandalf' Favata wrote:
> Je la 27/08/04, Mike skribis:
>

>>Are new versions of Tutu mentioned here in this newsgroup?
>

> As I understand it, Tutu won't be developed for a bit, but you will find
> some fixpacks (still updated): check http://www.pocketplane.net/tutufix/

The spawning bug is a fairly major ongoing problem, so I'll make a note
to make an announcement here when it gets fixed.

Tutu itself will probably never be updated again, but that doesn't
really mean anything, because the Fixpack is now "the thing what crushes
them bugs" anyway. Effectively, Tutu's about as actively supported as it
could ever possibly be.

- Sim

Mike

Splendid

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 23:19:51 GMT, SimDing0 <SimDing0@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>The spawning bug is a fairly major ongoing problem, so I'll make a note
>to make an announcement here when it gets fixed.

That is good to know. Thanks.

>Tutu itself will probably never be updated again, but that doesn't
>really mean anything, because the Fixpack is now "the thing what crushes
>them bugs" anyway. Effectively, Tutu's about as actively supported as it
>could ever possibly be.

Not only is there a fixpack, but there is a tweak pack for tutu as
well.

"SimDing0" <SimDing0@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Antonio 'Gandalf' Favata wrote:
> > Je la 27/08/04, Mike skribis:
> >

> >>Are new versions of Tutu mentioned here in this newsgroup?
> >

> > As I understand it, Tutu won't be developed for a bit, but you will
find
> > some fixpacks (still updated): check
http://www.pocketplane.net/tutufix/

> The spawning bug is a fairly major ongoing problem, so I'll make a
note
> to make an announcement here when it gets fixed.
>
> Tutu itself will probably never be updated again, but that doesn't
> really mean anything, because the Fixpack is now "the thing what
crushes
> them bugs" anyway. Effectively, Tutu's about as actively supported as
it
> could ever possibly be.

If TuTu won't ever be updated again by its current (previous?)
maintainers... then why doesn't it get Officially Taken Over, and the
fixpacks incorporated into the main thing itself? With the consent of
the last known writer, if this can be obtained...

Jonathan.

Jonathan Ellis wrote:

> If TuTu won't ever be updated again by its current (previous?)
> maintainers... then why doesn't it get Officially Taken Over, and the
> fixpacks incorporated into the main thing itself? With the consent of
> the last known writer, if this can be obtained...

It is Officially Taken Over. Japh's left me in charge of Tutu-related
affairs. The problem with incorporating the Fixpack into the main thing
is that we don't know how. (Call us incompetent...) To do so, we'd need
an OCAML programmer to modify the Tutu executable, so that's, um, Japh
or Weimer.

- Sim

fJe la 28/08/04, SimDing0 skribis:

> Tutu itself will probably never be updated again, but that doesn't
> really mean anything, because the Fixpack is now "the thing what crushes
> them bugs" anyway. Effectively, Tutu's about as actively supported as it
> could ever possibly be.

So, why don't you developers merge the fixpacks' contents in a new Tutu
version? Just technical issues (ie, it's easier to do the current way)?
Just to know; I don't want to criticize your excellent work, of course!
--
Fare Well! http://snurl.com/dialog
G http://www.fiag.it
ICQ# http://www.x-privat.org
16553733 http://www.mynewsgate.net

Don't think of this as more danger, think of it as more XP. (Half full,
not half empty)