Sign in with
Your question

Mobo just died?

Last response: in Systems
June 21, 2011 2:02:43 PM

Hello,
My PC won't turn at all, the light to the mouse that is connected to one of the rear USB ports is always lit (whether I turn on the PC or not) but the fans for my rad don't turn (my PSU is fanless) and there's no beeps etc. Does this indicate that my mobo has died?

More about : mobo died

June 21, 2011 2:15:42 PM

I'd say try the following steps:
1) disconnect and reconnect everything and try again.
2) Try shorting the power button pins to check it's not the button that's bust (long shot, but cheapest to fix)
3) Borrow a spare PSU and see if that's the problem (I suspect it will be)

Otherwise... yeah, sounds Moboish if you get no POST/beeps or anything.
m
l
June 21, 2011 2:34:02 PM

Thanks for your quick reply,

Is it possible that a PSU can half-work? There is power coming from it otherwise the mouse won't light up through the mobo. Could it be that only certain rails are working?

I hope you're right though, I'd rather it be the PSU than anything else!

Thanks again.
m
l
Related resources
June 22, 2011 2:46:41 AM

Ponkwig said:
Thanks for your quick reply,

Is it possible that a PSU can half-work? There is power coming from it otherwise the mouse won't light up through the mobo. Could it be that only certain rails are working?

I hope you're right though, I'd rather it be the PSU than anything else!

Thanks again.

Yea it is. I had a psu that light up my mobo light and my case led, but the computer would not boot. I got a replacement and that worked like a charm. If that does not work, then try switching the panel connections or make sure your mobo jumpers are in the right place.
m
l
June 29, 2011 7:06:06 AM

Hi,

Just to let you know, it's working now but don't know why. I remember this happened to me a long time ago (with a different rig).

When I came back from work, it just started up again and I think if it was to happen again then all I need to do is just leave it for a few hours and it starts! So far this hasn't happened again and hopefully it won't again but it's certainly a pain in the butt.

Thanks for your help.
m
l
!