How to clean the case and components?

Gooseer

Distinguished
May 4, 2010
Hello!

Previously I have always been vacuumcleaning my case but recently I heard that by doing that you can damage the components due to static electricity. So now I need some good alternatives to how to cleaning my case and components.

Best regards
Patrik

weezys_advocate

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
can of compressed air. although i have never heard of anybody say they broke there pc cleaning it with a vacum due to static, suppose its a theory though

ru_1980

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
Be careful with small fans and the compressed air cans...I think I may have packed in a video card (ati X1600 pro) from, what I believe to be, spinning the little cooling fan too fast with the air... not sure, maybe a few of the experts heard of this before? Eitherway it worked when I took it out, and nothing I did after that got it working again. I built that computer also, so I don't believe it was "installation error".

Unplug any fans before using air or a vacuum cleaner, spinning fans generate current, its not so much 'spinning the fans too fast' as spinning them at all whilst plugged into your mobo, take Ru's warning seriously :)
Other than that, its pretty much as Heny has already said
Moto