Stupidly low 3d mark scores

ecms171

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
Ran 3DMark 11 free edition for the first time after building my first PC. Had troubles recently with underperformance, expecially when physics were involved in any game. Most noticably crysis warhead, after the opening explosions the game handles fairly well. But my system should eat that game up no troubles

2 x HIS HD6950 OC XFire
Gskills ripjaws 8gb 1600mhz
ASRock Extreme4
Antec Gamer series 900W PSU

Any tips.

I scored about 1000 for the cpu in total an 6000 for my graphics cards which is just wrong. Where should i be starting. I'm a rookie, but i can follow instructions.

Thanks in advance

Solution

Yeah, you're thermal throttling when running a benchmark. Basically the CPU is underclocking itself to try and lower temperatures as a last resort. Fix your CPU cooling and enjoy the performance as it was meant to be :)

Preferably DO NOT use your computer before doing this.

ecms171

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
Wow my cpu is at like 70C at idle, thats hot. Still using stock heatsink, but i have an NZXT Phantom with 3 case fans i thought that would be enough. Maybe those cpus make a lot of hot air?

lothdk

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
Sounds like you have to reseat the heatsink on your CPU, from what you are saying, it seems that it is installed incorrectly.

Edit: When you reseat, clean both CPU and heatsink and apply new thermalpaste.

ecms171

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
thanks, i might go up a heat-sink, get a decent one and a few case more fans.

Any good guides on heat-sink installation?

Thanks for the help guys

heaven 2.5 benchmark

27.7 fps
698 score
min 7.6
max 45.3

1920*1080 fullscreen

Forgot to mention that i have the 2GB models

Yeah, you're thermal throttling when running a benchmark. Basically the CPU is underclocking itself to try and lower temperatures as a last resort. Fix your CPU cooling and enjoy the performance as it was meant to be :)

Preferably DO NOT use your computer before doing this.

Solution

ecms171

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
Installed a Noctua NH-14D, much cooler. Now runnign at room temp. Having trouble with the centre fan, but its a warranty issue. Big unit, but makes an instant difference in temps.

Thanks for all your help everyone.

Gotta love the people on these forums.

ecms171

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
yeah just ran 3D mark and scored a perfectly average score which is fine by me because i havent overclocked either my card or cpu and still have the option to do so.

My temps are down to between 25-30C at idle. I havent run it under full load yet, but i will get there.

On a seperate tangent, will my RAM automatically run at the full available speed? or do i have to set it up to run at teh correct speed myself?