Sign in with
Your question

Beginner's Question

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 8, 2011 12:36:48 AM

Hello,

I just recently purchased a Gateway DX4850-27e. Haven't purchased a computer in 6 years so all the new tech can be overwhelming. So because it only has integrated graphics, what is a middle end graphics card that you guys recommend? Would I need to upgrade the PSU too? It is at 300W right now. Will a 2 slot graphics card not work because of the obstruction of the other PCI slots?

PS - Not a hardcore gamer, so I don't need to run Crysis 1 on super high although it would be cool to.

Thanks,

Cynthia =D

More about : beginner question

a c 235 U Graphics card
April 8, 2011 12:45:36 AM

do you have budget?
m
l
Related resources
April 8, 2011 2:59:09 AM

I don't think I need to spend more than $150 for a graphics card and $100ish for a PSU. So any help you guys and gals can provide is greatly appreciated.
m
l
April 8, 2011 3:19:09 AM

I would recommend this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... - $150 after rebate

It should take care all of your needs. Price + specs = steal...

Chipset Manufacturer: AMD
Core Clock: 820MHz (Std. 775MHz)
Stream Processors: 960 Stream Processing Units
Effective Memory Clock: 1050MHz (4.2Gbps) (Std. 1000MHz, 4.0Gbps)
DirectX: DirectX 11
OpenGL: OpenGL 4.1
HDMI: 1 x HDMI
DisplayPort: 1 x DisplayPort

m
l
a c 235 U Graphics card
April 13, 2011 11:48:53 PM

wow you sure that's a friend? the ati 5830 notoriously ran hot. for less money you can get the GTX 460 768mb which runs cool and has better performance then the ATI 5830

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

* i also though you needed a single slot solution? hence the GTS 450 card badtaylorx linked above

the PSU you linked is solid and a good price after rebate (and the 4-6 week wait) but its also overkill for what you need.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 13, 2011 11:56:08 PM

Yes, the 5830 is junk even for $110.
The PSU is good, but no need to spend so much cash.
m
l
April 14, 2011 12:20:04 AM

Hey all,

@ct1615: I'm still unsure if a 2 slot graphics card would fit. The computer is arriving tomorrow. From the looks of any Gateway DX model computer, a 2 slot graphics card looks like it could fit without any obstruction but I could be mistaken.

What do you think?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ImageGallery.aspx?CurImag...

Seems like the PCI slot may or may not be in the way. But once I find out when I open the pc tomorrow, I'll either go with your suggestion with the Asus if it isn't obstructed or I will go with badtaylorx's recommendation if it will be.

I, however, went ahead and bought the Thermaltake PSU because I could always use it in a later rig. [=

Once again thanks everyone for the quick replies.

Cynthia =D
m
l
a c 235 U Graphics card
April 14, 2011 12:33:15 AM

byteccpro said:
Hey all,

@ct1615: I'm still unsure if a 2 slot graphics card would fit. The computer is arriving tomorrow. From the looks of any Gateway DX model computer, a 2 slot graphics card looks like it could fit without any obstruction but I could be mistaken.

What do you think?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ImageGallery.aspx?CurImag...

Seems like the PCI slot may or may not be in the way. But once I find out when I open the pc tomorrow, I'll either go with your suggestion with the Asus if it isn't obstructed or I will go with badtaylorx's recommendation if it will be.

I, however, went ahead and bought the Thermaltake PSU because I could always use it in a later rig. [=

Once again thanks everyone for the quick replies.

Cynthia =D

hey cynthia
a dual slot will fit assuming you don't need to use both PCI slots, the card goes in cooler down. the asus GTX 460 isn't that tall so you may even retain use of it after all.
m
l
April 14, 2011 12:45:43 AM

Hey,

@ct1615: I'm sold =D I just bought it. Worse comes to worse, it doesn't fit and I can always return it and come back here to ask you guys for help again [=

Thanks again everyone.

Cynthia ^^"
m
l
a c 235 U Graphics card
April 14, 2011 12:52:15 AM

enjoy your new PC
m
l
!