Help!: Abit ix38 QuadGT - Recovering from a corrupted BIOS

Steve R

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
Hi,

I have Windows 7 running on my PC using an ABit ix38 QuadGT motherboard. My system was spending over a minute "Verifying DMI Pool Data" before loading the OS. I read somewhere that this could be solved by clearing the DMI pool data (clearing the CMOS Memory and disconnecting the CMOS Backup battery). I tried that and now it looks like the BIOS is corrupted. My system won't boot up. I think the BIOS boot block is not corrupted, since the BIOS does come up when I power up the system and it detects the hard drives. Then it reports a checksum error and says the defaults have been loaded, followed by a message "Press F1 to continue or Del to enter setup". The on board POST code display shows 7F at this point, which I believe, indicates waiting for user input. If I then press F1 to continue, it POSTs 89, the screen goes blank with a blinking cursor at the top left corner. OTOH, if I press Del to configure the BIOS settings, the POST code stays at 7F and the screen goes blank with a blinking cursor like in the other case.

The ABit manual indicates an optional feature where I can flash from a floppy disk by pressing Alt+F2. But pressing this appears to have no effect (I don't see the Floppy Drive lights come on at all). Is there any specific time in the boot up process I am supposed to press these keys?

Any ideas how to recover? Is my only option buying a new BIOS chip?

Thanks for your time and suggestions.

Steve

Steve R

Honorable
Jun 6, 2012
I placed an order for the BIOS chip and will be replacing it next week when I get it in the mail. Hopefully that fixes this.

Any opinions on how I could have ended up corrupting the BIOS by disconnecting the CMOS backup battery? Trying to understand this better, so I don't repeat the same mistake twice.

Thanks for your time.

Steve