Phenom II x4 955 temperatures

freshtodeath

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2010
Just got it, stock - no OC and stock HSF. During a game CPU temp is around 55C and idle is around 33C. Downloaded prime95, left it on for about 30 mins just to see what it does, HWMonitor peaked my cpu @ 68C (stock remember - recommended max temp was 62C I believe).......is that normal? Im in a basement, it's stupid cold in here (around 15C more or less - I have to use a heater to keep warm lol), my case's side panel is off. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

No matter what you're doing, I wouldn't allow your CPU to run hotter than ~80°C for longer than a few seconds. Ideally, even while doing an OC test, your CPU should only be ~60-70°C (with aftermarket cooling and room temp of 25-30°C) while under the stress of P95.

So, in your basement, doing an OC with aftermarket cooling and using Artic Silver 5 thermal paste, your temps should be much lower than the average. To give you an example, my 945 OC'ed to 3.9 GHz never went above 66°C while under the stress of P95. I live in Hawaii, where the temp is typically in the 25-32°C, a climate much warmer than yours.

freshtodeath

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2010
Well P95 is 100% CPU load so not like it's what it goes through all the time, so it's good that I don't have to worry about it. And yeah I'm planning to pick up an aftermarket heat sink once I OC.
By the way, I MOST LIKELY messed up when I tried to install the HSF and it wouldn't lock easy, so I peeled it off and noticed a piece of thermal left on the CPU...basically I don't think it's spread even :s - so when I get aftermarket HSF get a new thermal as well?

loneninja

Distinguished

Yes, you'll need to get some thermal paste when you replace the heatsink, depending what heatsink you get it may or may not come with some.