Sign in with
Your question

Phenom II x4 955 temperatures

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Phenom
Last response: in CPUs
September 16, 2011 6:29:51 PM

Just got it, stock - no OC and stock HSF. During a game CPU temp is around 55C and idle is around 33C. Downloaded prime95, left it on for about 30 mins just to see what it does, HWMonitor peaked my cpu @ 68C (stock remember - recommended max temp was 62C I believe).......is that normal? Im in a basement, it's stupid cold in here (around 15C more or less - I have to use a heater to keep warm lol), my case's side panel is off. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

More about : phenom 955 temperatures

a b à CPUs
September 16, 2011 6:34:11 PM

Yes, this is absolutely normal. P95 puts tremendous stress on your CPU, and as a result, the CPU gets much hotter than under normal load conditions.
m
l
September 16, 2011 7:03:48 PM

thanks for a quick reply, however what is the max temp that is "safe" while using p95? (even if the CPU is OCd)
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
September 16, 2011 7:32:43 PM

No matter what you're doing, I wouldn't allow your CPU to run hotter than ~80°C for longer than a few seconds. Ideally, even while doing an OC test, your CPU should only be ~60-70°C (with aftermarket cooling and room temp of 25-30°C) while under the stress of P95.

So, in your basement, doing an OC with aftermarket cooling and using Artic Silver 5 thermal paste, your temps should be much lower than the average. To give you an example, my 945 OC'ed to 3.9 GHz never went above 66°C while under the stress of P95. I live in Hawaii, where the temp is typically in the 25-32°C, a climate much warmer than yours.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 16, 2011 7:47:37 PM

Definitely keep AMD CPUs under 70C under full load.
m
l
September 16, 2011 8:24:54 PM

You can pick up a Hyper 212+ for cheap and you shouldn't have any worries as long as you apply the thermal paste correctly.
m
l
September 16, 2011 8:35:15 PM

Well P95 is 100% CPU load so not like it's what it goes through all the time, so it's good that I don't have to worry about it. And yeah I'm planning to pick up an aftermarket heat sink once I OC.
By the way, I MOST LIKELY messed up when I tried to install the HSF and it wouldn't lock easy, so I peeled it off and noticed a piece of thermal left on the CPU...basically I don't think it's spread even :s - so when I get aftermarket HSF get a new thermal as well?
m
l
September 16, 2011 8:46:11 PM

Quote:
:non:  please refrain from bad language :non: 

Oops...last time it censored it with ***
m
l
a c 83 à CPUs
September 16, 2011 9:29:25 PM

freshtodeath said:
Well P95 is 100% CPU load so not like it's what it goes through all the time, so it's good that I don't have to worry about it. And yeah I'm planning to pick up an aftermarket heat sink once I OC.
By the way, I MOST LIKELY messed up when I tried to install the HSF and it wouldn't lock easy, so I peeled it off and noticed a piece of thermal left on the CPU...basically I don't think it's spread even :s - so when I get aftermarket HSF get a new thermal as well?

Yes, you'll need to get some thermal paste when you replace the heatsink, depending what heatsink you get it may or may not come with some.
m
l
!