Sign in with
Your question

8800GTX and i5 2500k

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 8, 2011 5:05:05 AM

I recently decided to start upgrading my comp (Q6600 @ stock, 8800GTX, terrible OEM Intel mobo). I figured I would start with a new motherboard (ASRock P67 PRO3) since the one I currently have is awful, and also to pair that up with an i5 2500k for the performance:cost. I also got the requisite other things like a new power supply (Antec EarthWatts 650) and some DDR3 RAM.

Looking at the GPU hierarchy charts at Tom's, the 8800GTX still seems to be fairing pretty decently, so I'm wondering just how much of a bottleneck it's going to cause for the time being. I'm curious if I'll even see that much improvement in the more performance-intensive games @ 1680x1050. Without the DX11 stuff, of course.

One of the reasons I chose to hold off on the GPU temporarily is because I'm still on a 1680x1050 monitor, and was looking to upgrade both together at some point (perhaps to aim for 2560x1440). And that's going to be a bit costly.

Thanks for any help.

More about : 8800gtx 2500k

April 8, 2011 6:01:08 AM

in that resolution, you won't gain much with a new card. So unless Tesselation and DX11 are an absolutely must, waiting a bit until you get your new monitor won't hurt.

but I would spend more money on my Motherboard though. The extreme 4 (still Asrock) is just a much better board, and supports SLa and Crossfire, wich is very likely you will end up with, if you buy a 1560*1440 monitor.
m
l
April 8, 2011 6:03:48 AM

og and if you are not into overclocking, the 2500k cpu is just overkill
m
l
Related resources
April 8, 2011 6:15:46 AM

I am interested in eventually overclocking the CPU, possibly a slight boost immediately with the stock cooling (heard they can OC pretty nicely even then), since I also do some stuff outside of gaming that a new CPU will help with.

The biggest issue was that I couldn't OC my Q6600 due to my motherboard. So it was stuck at stock 2.4 speeds. If I could have oc'd it I would have probably held off a bit on the 2500k.

Also I was looking at the Extreme 4 first but apparently they've been recalled? Had some difficulty finding it.
m
l
April 8, 2011 10:48:32 AM

Is the 8800GTX likely to still run newer games decently at higher settings @ 1680x1050 or should I really look into upgrading it, if I'm not going to get a new monitor for a while? Not sure if it's worth it if I'm going to remain at that res for the time being.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 8, 2011 10:55:58 AM

shadoolaw said:
I recently decided to start upgrading my comp (Q6600 @ stock, 8800GTX, terrible OEM Intel mobo). I figured I would start with a new motherboard (ASRock P67 PRO3) since the one I currently have is awful, and also to pair that up with an i5 2500k for the performance:cost. I also got the requisite other things like a new power supply (Antec EarthWatts 650) and some DDR3 RAM.

Looking at the GPU hierarchy charts at Tom's, the 8800GTX still seems to be fairing pretty decently, so I'm wondering just how much of a bottleneck it's going to cause for the time being. I'm curious if I'll even see that much improvement in the more performance-intensive games @ 1680x1050. Without the DX11 stuff, of course.

One of the reasons I chose to hold off on the GPU temporarily is because I'm still on a 1680x1050 monitor, and was looking to upgrade both together at some point (perhaps to aim for 2560x1440). And that's going to be a bit costly.

Thanks for any help.

Your CPU is still strong enough, the weakest part of your pc is your GPU (still it´s a good gpu), so I would buy a ati 6850/6950 depends on your bucket, and wait at least one year before upgrading CPU.
What´s your PSU? It should be a good one, since the 8800 GTX requires a powerful PSU, so maybe you don´t need a new one.
m
l
April 8, 2011 11:36:28 AM

I had an 8800 whent they first came out and they were good cards, but my 5850 (now 2 of them) are much more powerful at any resolution. If you want to wait you can probably play most games at low settings at 1680 x 1050, but I don't think your system was CPU limited before, so upgrading your CPU at all really isn't going to net you a big gain.

I'm not saying that your upgrade plan is bad, but when upgrading anything, you will see the most improvement when the system bottleneck is improved/removed.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 8, 2011 11:52:17 AM

I would research and find a decent 775 socket motherboard, even if you pay around 150.00 for it that will allow you to reuse your ddr2 and overclock that cpu to around 3.2ghz. That should hold you over for another year or so until you want to do a full upgrade.

You still have about a 25% potential increase in performance with the setup you already have if you get the right motherboard and cpu cooler.

775 socket motherboards are getting pretty hard to find, at least the ones that are more desirable and at a decent price.

I would search ebay and pricewatch to see what you can find. If you see a good price, google search the reviews on that board first before you pull the trigger to purchase it. If all looks good then your in business.

If you upgrade your cpu, pm me and I will consider buying your old cpu. I'd rather see you reuse it as its still decent hardware to match up with the hardware you already have...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 8, 2011 1:23:39 PM

Don't get a 775 motherboard.
They are old and EOL.
Just get your system and a 570/6970.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 8, 2011 5:28:28 PM

Yes, it's a dead end upgrade path but being it would be a low cost upgrade if he's interested in minimizing his upgrade cost to buy more time for potentially better pricing on his upgrades later for his final rig. He's obviously not ready for everything yet.

To the OP:

Do you want to spend 150.00 for a 20~30% performance boost or spend 450.00 ~ 500.00 for the CPU, motherboard and ram?

Yes, the new SB setup will be faster but I don't think you will see much gain in gaming with the 8800GTX. If you have no problem spending the $$$ then by all means it's a good investment but if the name of the game is "get more for less" until you get more $$$ for a complete upgrade then u will want to get a better Moho to support your current CPU's over clocking ability...
m
l
April 9, 2011 12:12:19 AM

Thanks for the answers all.

It's mostly just an issue of money right now, or I would have upgraded everything at once. But I do some stuff outside of gaming that will see an immediate benefit with a much better mobo/CPU, so I figured why wait. The cost:p erformance ratio for them is excellent. Now it's just the GPU that's left.

I essentially wanted to future-proof my rig as far as mobo/CPU. I know the 8800GTX is a very old card but I just figured that running at 1680x1050, it's not the most necessary upgrade yet, especially since I'm looking to get a new monitor as well.

Also, I had actually ordered all this stuff before. In fact, it came in today. And in fact, I'm about to put it together right now. ;) 

I may grab a cheap GTX260 to tide me over at some point. Those aren't too expensive and I hear they're a solid step up from 8800GTX. Maybe even a 460 if I can one at a good price.
m
l
April 9, 2011 11:52:33 AM

If you were fine at 1680x1050 before and if you were just going to wait a little bit, I wouldn't worry about some incremental improvement and instead would just wait until you could get your video card and monitor together.

On the other hand if dropping ~$150 on a card now, then another $250-350 and another $150 on a monitor works for you, then I'm not one to discourage.
m
l
!