Sign in with
Your question

Crysis 2 strange obsevation(secret hidden by crytex)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 8, 2011 5:38:03 AM

Guys i had been playing crysis 2 for some time. Though i am hugely disappointed with the graphics, but i have made a very interesting observation about it.I donot know if this only happens with my pc.Only people who are playing crysis 2 can see this hidden graphics enhancement.Ok so in order to see it first fire up crysis 2 single player.Then stand at a particular position on the map.Look at the ground or trees.Now switch to armour mode.Now if you notice carefully for a brief second before the armour mode activates the graphics looks very sharp.Then as soon as armour mode fully activates it again switches back to its blurry state.As if in that brief period the textures become super sharp.To obseve this mysterious thing more closely look at a tree or ground then activate armour mode.

Anyone playing crysis 2 plz test it and report back.
a c 228 U Graphics card
April 8, 2011 3:29:18 PM

Are you playing the game at the same resolution as your monitor's native resolution?
m
l
April 8, 2011 5:30:42 PM

What kind of machine are you using that the graphics don't look good.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
April 8, 2011 5:45:59 PM

5850 and q9550.setting used maxed.Graphics sucks as compared to original crysis.
m
l
a c 228 U Graphics card
April 8, 2011 5:50:22 PM

Pc Guru_07 said:
5850 and q9550.setting used maxed.Graphics sucks as compared to original crysis.

What resolution is Crysis configured for (i.e. 1920x1080) and what is your monitor's native resolution? If not the same, make your game match your monitor's native resolution.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 8, 2011 6:35:05 PM

I'm sure pc has his rez set properly.

I agree, the environment in Crysis 2 looks more "blurry" than C1/CWH.

I'll try your armor mode thing when I get a chance and report back what I see.
m
l
April 8, 2011 7:04:15 PM

See the difference.
m
l
April 8, 2011 7:22:08 PM

It just might be the blur.
Could you try starting the game with blur disabled (I believe people have been able to turn off blur in the demo).
m
l
April 8, 2011 7:24:51 PM

No it is not the blur.I disabled blur using crysis 2 advanced config tool.And still the same effect could be seen.
m
l
April 8, 2011 7:29:50 PM

Or maybe DX11 will just be a tick mark patch.Crytex has intentionally locked the maximum setting and will unlock it after a so called dx11 patch.They managed to block that maximum setting in every way possible but in that fraction of a second before the armor mode activates it gives us a sneak peak at the ultra setting.Becoz if you look at building when activating armor mode you will notice how much better it looks in that few seconds
m
l
April 8, 2011 7:29:53 PM

Hmmmm
I just look at it and the first pic looks SD like and the 2nd HD like (like when watching discovery and discovery hd that sort of difference)
Might it have something to do with the directx11 patch they promised?
You could try the crytek forums they might know more.
m
l
a c 130 U Graphics card
April 8, 2011 8:06:02 PM

I don't have the game but from your screen shots your absolutely right. But you knew that already ;) 
Do you have that stupid new AA setting enabled ? Morphological isn't it ? It looks to me like its defiantly a post processing effect of some sort.

Mactronix :) 
m
l
April 8, 2011 8:17:15 PM

No, i am not using morphological AA.Even my friend's pc has the same effect.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 8, 2011 8:25:06 PM

Could it be intentional?

e.g., When viewing with plain eyes with no armor mode on the world is just a tad out of focus, but maybe with Armor Mode on, everything's just slightly more enhanced because the Nano-Suit's on full power? Personally, if that's the case, I think that would be counter-intuitive thinking on the developer's part because you would naturally say that your resting vision would be better than your suit going crazy trying to protect you.

However, that's just my opinion.
m
l
April 8, 2011 8:32:33 PM

When armor mode fully activates the world again looks blurry.It happens when the armor is just about to activate or should i say half activated.You need the game to experience it.

It can be intentional.Crysis knew that pc community will be angry, if they release the game without dx11.So in order to make people happy, they locked the maximum setting in dx9 mode and decided to unlock it after releasing a dx11 patch.If they release a dx11 patch without extra texture pak files, then the patch will do just what i mentioned here.Unlock the ultra mode.And that will make the game bit more sharper.That will make most people happy.Since they will think dx11 has made my game look so much better.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 9, 2011 11:16:17 AM

@OP
Have you tried playing on very high settings?This may sound weird but the game actually looks better on very high than on extreme.I was having the same problem you had and lowering the setting to very high solved the problem for me.

BTW since when was dx 11 required to sharpen textures?.I played metro 2033 in dx 10 mode high and the textures were AWESOME.Even in dx 9 high metro 2033 still beats crysis 2 dx 11
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 9, 2011 11:29:51 AM

Come to think of it this "effect" does remind me of mafia 2,Even in that game the city was very blurred but after your car gained a lot of speed the blurriness used to disappear.
m
l
April 9, 2011 11:30:14 AM

Yes, I have also seen that.Very high setting looks better and sharper than extreme setting.And it also increases framerate.Strange indeed.Yes,same thing happened with mafia 2 also.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 9, 2011 1:31:50 PM

Maybe the very high preset doesn't have motion blur and extreme does? In C1, we had a slider to control the amount of motion blur and it was one of the first settings to turn down if a graphics card wasn't up to snuff.

BTW, tried it on my setup... I see what you described as well.
m
l
April 9, 2011 1:37:27 PM

Motion blur has nothing to do with texture bluring.Motion blur is generally used when you rotate the mouse to make the movement smoother.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 10, 2011 4:11:38 AM

rwpritchett said:
Maybe the very high preset doesn't have motion blur and extreme does? In C1, we had a slider to control the amount of motion blur and it was one of the first settings to turn down if a graphics card wasn't up to snuff.

BTW, tried it on my setup... I see what you described as well.

the very high spec only has camera motion blur but no object motion blur.The extreme spec has both but seriously I would have loved to turn it off.I hate motion blur as it does seem exaggerated and unrealistic.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 10, 2011 4:27:12 PM

Pc Guru_07 said:
Or maybe DX11 will just be a tick mark patch.Crytex has intentionally locked the maximum setting and will unlock it after a so called dx11 patch.They managed to block that maximum setting in every way possible but in that fraction of a second before the armor mode activates it gives us a sneak peak at the ultra setting.Becoz if you look at building when activating armor mode you will notice how much better it looks in that few seconds

But if that effect can be seen even in dx 9 then why is it unlocked only after dx 11 patch?.The difference bewteen dx 9 an dx 11 is not that great
m
l
a c 130 U Graphics card
April 10, 2011 4:30:37 PM

Well yes if you have a DX11 capable card of course you can see a hidden DX11 mode. What you now need is someone with a DX9 or DX10 only card to try the game and see if it does the same. If it does then conspiracy theory over.

m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 10, 2011 4:57:27 PM

mactronix said:
Well yes if you have a DX11 capable card of course you can see a hidden DX11 mode. What you now need is someone with a DX9 or DX10 only card to try the game and see if it does the same. If it does then conspiracy theory over.

My card is a gtx 275 but I can see the effect so yes its not a dx 11 effect
m
l
April 10, 2011 7:52:34 PM

If they release a dx11 patch without additional texture pack then it will be nothing but a joke.A simple patch cannot magically make a game look super great.They will unlock the ultra setting and add some gimmiky dx11 mode in the menus.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 11, 2011 3:59:11 AM

Pc Guru_07 said:
If they release a dx11 patch without additional texture pack then it will be nothing but a joke.A simple patch cannot magically make a game look super great.They will unlock the ultra setting and add some gimmiky dx11 mode in the menus.

honestly though If you ignore the textures,the lighting,the HDR is superb.There were some scenes in crysis 2 which even beat metro 2033 like the road rage one where lockhart leaves with strickland.If they could have made metro 2033 type textures the game would easily have been the graphic king..BTW will the dx 11 patch also enable dx 10 coz there is a dx 10 dll in the game directory
m
l
April 11, 2011 6:34:04 AM

Both HDR and lighting are overdone.I hate the sepia color tone which is present in the game.Crysis 1 has superb lighting in almost every aspect.Frankly this should have been Crysis 1 and Crysis should have been Crysis2.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 11, 2011 8:50:00 AM

That brief moment of high contrast seems familiar. It's the same thing in Left 4 Dead 2. It's a subtle signal that has a subconscious effect. For example in L4D2 when you get incapacitated or you take an adrenaline shot, this effect takes over the screen.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 11, 2011 10:11:20 AM

They are Brigther, not sharper. Its a Console focused game, waht did u expect from a game that has to run smoth on a Nvidia 7950?
The game looks only half way decent beouse the textures are carefully made, but, yes crysis 1 on max settings, including AA, was faaaaar better looking. Also note that they use the "lets make everything dark so people dont notice its crap" trick :D . They used this in metro 2033 as well, but not on the original crysis.

I am not surprsied at all thou, the need to sell copies, not create crazy games that everyone will the Download for free from some site.

If you still dont like that, google how many copies were sold of crysis, and how many are "confirmed" to been pirated... its simply insane.

Best is when i show my computer at its finnest in diffrent games. No matter the games, when i show they original crysis the reaction si always the same: "WoW... That looks good" (My ex :D )

m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 11, 2011 10:16:49 AM

Btw, the real huge diffrence was between DX 9 and 10, DX 11 real power is teselation, but its not yet used much in games. Anyone who tried the uniengine knows how much it can improve the games, and that it definitly has not done so, not at that level.
m
l
April 11, 2011 10:25:40 AM

Dude, it's just an image-sharpening post processing effect XD It's to signify that there's a change going on within the character (you can't feel different, it's just a game, so there's a subtle visual jolt to signify that something has changed from within).

It's just post processing to make the transition look more fancy, not some secret conspiracy about graphics-improvement.

Oh, and I think you're thinking of "depth of field", not "motion blur" :D .
m
l
April 11, 2011 10:47:00 AM

Let's see what happens after that dx11 patch.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 11, 2011 12:50:24 PM

Pc Guru_07 said:
Let's see what happens after that dx11 patch.

I don't think there will be any.The news about the patch came up on a German website, but I've read that Crytek denied those claims, stating that any official info would be posted on MyCrysis.Till now there are no such news, so I think that probably there will be no such patch.

Damn You Crytek :fou:  Another one of the few remaining PC developers have disappointed me.
m
l
a c 147 U Graphics card
April 11, 2011 1:15:27 PM

Tamz_msc said:
I don't think there will be any.The news about the patch came up on a German website, but I've read that Crytek denied those claims, stating that any official info would be posted on MyCrysis.Till now there are no such news, so I think that probably there will be no such patch.

Damn You Crytek :fou:  Another one of the few remaining PC developers have disappointed me.

http://www.mycrysis.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=222...

still it doesn't prevent crytek to make a U turn from this decision on a later date :sarcastic: 
m
l
a c 130 U Graphics card
April 11, 2011 1:22:51 PM

I have said before elsewhere if it was coded in it would be available, There is no point hiding it then patching it in later its not paid for DLC now is it ?
As its not there then its not coded would seem the logical assumption.
As its not there any "Patch " would just be adding sprinkles.

Now if we must go hunting for conspiracy theories then try this for size.
Whats more likely to me would be a re coded Game of the year or golden version or some such. That way they could try and get people to buy the game again.
Crysis 1/Warhead and the new Improved DX11 enabled Crysis 2 with new scenes and a couple more levels all in the one special edition bundle.
Hows that for a theory :D 

m
l
April 11, 2011 1:35:37 PM

TAMZ you are playing crysis 2.What is your id?A quick match will be fun.I think the dx11 patch is one of the last thing i want from them.They should first make a robust anti-cheat system.Current anti-hack system is a complete mess and a nightmare for people like me to play online with cheaters.
m
l
a c 147 U Graphics card
April 11, 2011 2:52:34 PM

mactronix said:
I have said before elsewhere if it was coded in it would be available, There is no point hiding it then patching it in later its not paid for DLC now is it ?
As its not there then its not coded would seem the logical assumption.
As its not there any "Patch " would just be adding sprinkles.

Now if we must go hunting for conspiracy theories then try this for size.
Whats more likely to me would be a re coded Game of the year or golden version or some such. That way they could try and get people to buy the game again.
Crysis 1/Warhead and the new Improved DX11 enabled Crysis 2 with new scenes and a couple more levels all in the one special edition bundle.
Hows that for a theory :D 

nah, if you want to 'unlock' the dx11 enhancement for the game you have to pay more. later there will be more version of the game on the market. 60 dollars for dx9 edition, 90 dollars or more for a version that include dx11. for the limited edition (dx11 included) or GOTY will cost even more. remember that 'pay to get more performance' from intel? :D 
m
l
April 11, 2011 2:56:01 PM

But this time pay to get reduced performance.Dx11 always lowers performance.
m
l
April 11, 2011 3:21:15 PM

Seriously, it's not improved visuals at all. It's a simple effect that runs a sharpen filter (and maybe backs off of the depth of field a bit).

The reason why the game doesn't always look like this is because it's too busy. Try this: open your monitor's settings and max out the one labelled "sharpness", then watch a video or play a game. Everything looks really grainy and kind of jumps around. This is how it would look if the game was always on that transition effect.

If Crysis 2 looked like that all the time, it would be hard to look at. The "blurriness" you describe evens out the visual grain/noise and makes it look (in my opinion) much better, and it really helps you focus.

Of course, it would be nice if you could up the sharpness just a little bit, just not to such a degree that everything becomes a jagged, jumpy mess.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 12, 2011 8:18:59 AM

Pc Guru_07 said:
TAMZ you are playing crysis 2.What is your id?A quick match will be fun.I think the dx11 patch is one of the last thing i want from them.They should first make a robust anti-cheat system.Current anti-hack system is a complete mess and a nightmare for people like me to play online with cheaters.

I'd love to but the restrictions of my internet connection prevents me from doing so. :) 
m
l
April 12, 2011 9:39:45 AM

Who is your ISP?.I have airtel 2mbps connection.I get 88 to 100 ping to singapore servers.Damm i can even play it when i got FUPed and my speed was reduced to 256kb/s.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 12, 2011 6:24:45 PM

The speed is fine, its just that I have a usage cap of 1.5 GB per month. It does have unlimited browsing from two am till eight in the morning, but I'm not one of those who stay up that late at night.
m
l
April 13, 2011 8:55:01 AM

Which ISP you are using?I am damm sure you are using reliance.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 13, 2011 10:03:16 AM

Pc Guru_07 said:
Which ISP you are using?I am damm sure you are using reliance.

No, its BSNL.I get fantastic speeds(download speeds in excess of 250KB/s) compared to India's standards.
Actually the thing is that my father pays the bills, and he obviously gets unhappy when I cross the usage limit. :p 
m
l
April 13, 2011 10:05:25 AM

Actually i get download speed of 280 to 290kb/s with my airtel 2mbs connection.And BSNL always gives crappy ping.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 13, 2011 10:11:31 AM

Pc Guru_07 said:
Actually i get download speed of 280 to 290kb/s with my airtel 2mbs connection.And BSNL always gives crappy ping.

Yes, BSNL gives crappy ping, but other than that its fine for me.
m
l
!