Upgrading my motherboard, choosing between a M-ATX and ATX

Status
Not open for further replies.

tukbol7

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
guys hows it going?

guys i need help in upgrading my system, right now im using an ecs h61h2-m2, i know it will just be temporary just to start my built that i can work on later, now im planning to upgrade my mobo, my problem is im having difficulty of choosing between a ATX or M-ATX for my case which is Strike X One Advance, a mid-tower case.. right now im choosing between MSI H77MA-G43(M-ATX) and MSI Z77A-G43 Z77 (ATX) which have Military Class III components grades.. which one of these guys that are best suited for my case? im planning also to buy a video card a Sapphire HD 7770 later on..
the dimensions of my case by the way is:
440mm (H) x 180mm (W) x 475mm (D)

thanks guys, here is my complete specs of my desktop

Intel Core i3-2100
Elite H61h2-M2
Seagate 500gb 7200rpm
Kingston 4gb DDR3 hyper x blue
ASUS 24x DVD burner
AEROCOOL STRIKE X ONE ADVANCE
FSP Group Everest 85PLUS 600W ATX

Solution
At a given price, ATX boards tend to be at least slightly better than M-ATX boards in at least some ways, although not always in deal-breaking ways. The first board, the M-ATX, uses the H77 chipset. The second board, the ATX, uses the Z77 chipset. This means that the first one does not have good support for overclocking and the second one does. The second one also has support for other features. However, given your build specs, none of this seems like stuff that would matter to you. Sandy Bridge i3s have very minimal overclocking headroom and I don't think that overclocking an i3 would help your computer anyway. The LGA1155 i3s are more than fast enough for the Radeon 7770, even if the i3s are left at stock and you overclock the heck...
At a given price, ATX boards tend to be at least slightly better than M-ATX boards in at least some ways, although not always in deal-breaking ways. The first board, the M-ATX, uses the H77 chipset. The second board, the ATX, uses the Z77 chipset. This means that the first one does not have good support for overclocking and the second one does. The second one also has support for other features. However, given your build specs, none of this seems like stuff that would matter to you. Sandy Bridge i3s have very minimal overclocking headroom and I don't think that overclocking an i3 would help your computer anyway. The LGA1155 i3s are more than fast enough for the Radeon 7770, even if the i3s are left at stock and you overclock the heck out of a 7770. Two 7770s could push way past the i3's limits in some games, but one 7770 is not a problem.

Solution

tukbol7

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
thanks blazorthon, but i have no plan of overclocking anytime soon for my rig for now, just want to have a 6gb sata, an pcie 3.0 and usb 3.0 to have a faster performance.. because my current mobo doesnt support any of this..

In that case, the M-ATX board that you listed should be fine. Also, don't expect PCIe 3.0 to make any difference. The others, probably, but the 7770 is not a fast enough card to have a speed up going from even a PCIe 1.x x16 slot to a PCIe 3.0 x16 slot. PCIe 3.0 benefits high end Crossfire/SLI setups and compute performance more than it does low end and mid-range gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.