Sign in with
Your question

Defective GTX 460

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 8, 2011 6:25:45 AM

Hi all,

I have just started to have problems with my computer. Don't know if it's because of the GPU (Sparkle GTX 460 768MB), but I have an inkling that it is.

The problem started after I ran the FurMark Benchmark test. Highest temp reached was 68 degrees Celsius. I then played some Super Meat Boy, but about 10 minutes in, a beep was heard and the game froze/error message was displayed. Little later, I was playing Batman Arkham Asylum, but at some point, it gave me an error and said that the program had to quit. I still thought nothing of it, and decided just to do something else, so I opened up Chrome, and the screen was showing sideways artifact-like lines (don't know how to describe it :[ ) Anyway, I'd try opening up Chrome several more times, and it kept getting errors and I had to quit the program. On internet explorer, I couldn't see the images. They were all full of those artifact-like lines. And then it'd display error and quit.

I decided then to restart the computer. I tried out the browsers and it worked great. Then, I started playing Batman again, and within minutes of playing, it displayed an error (BM had to quit or something or that sort), and the program quit. When I then tried the browsers, it would keep giving me errors.

So... Might my problem be with my graphics card? And could running the benchmark test have somehow compromised the hardware? Also, if defective, is it possible for me to get an RMA on it?

Thanks!

More about : defective gtx 460

a b U Graphics card
April 8, 2011 1:53:15 PM

If the graphics were overheating turn it off and let it sit for 6 hrs or so, then try again. I've had BSoD problems when my GPU was running too hot. If that doesn't solve the issue, confirm that you haven't got a virus or HDD problem. After that if the problem persists your GPU might have been damaged, so I'd recommend to take your rig apart and check it out in person.
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
April 8, 2011 2:09:09 PM

Don't listen to the nub. You need to go ahead and RMA the card.
m
l
Related resources
April 8, 2011 2:46:38 PM

Thanks nforce. I've never RMA'ed before so I'm kind of reluctant to send it in without making sure that the problem is with the graphics card. So, I just wanted to how you came to the conclusion that the GPU was damaged/defective and if there was any other test I can do to determine that my GPU is the problem.
m
l
a c 173 U Graphics card
April 8, 2011 3:45:22 PM

It should crash or restart the system but you can check the voltage on the 12v rail. If it is below 11.5 then you need a new psu or during load are seeing dips and spikes that are rather large like .2 or .3v from ware it is idle and already low. The power vrm on most gtx 460 isn't cooled at all and is likely to fail before the card is old.
m
l
April 8, 2011 5:51:15 PM

nforce4max said:
It should crash or restart the system but you can check the voltage on the 12v rail. If it is below 11.5 then you need a new psu or during load are seeing dips and spikes that are rather large like .2 or .3v from ware it is idle and already low. The power vrm on most gtx 460 isn't cooled at all and is likely to fail before the card is old.

I'm not sure how you wanted me to check, but the PSU I'm using right now is a month old Antec EarthWatt 500W. The computer doesn't restart or crash. In fact, my monitor is hooked up to the dvi port of the GTX 460. It works ok until I play games, and then once I return to the desktop, I see the Steam program game list screen sort of flicker, and the browsers crash (in the case of chrome, either windows had to close the program or it shows the computer with a sad face).
m
l
!