Internet Interfering with DSL/Cable Box

Pigbearman

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
Hello all,

I was trying to think of what forum would be appropriate for this topic, so I'll try it here. My house uses Hickorytech for our Phone/DSL/Internet. For about 3 years we had a cable box that worked perfectly fine, until it died one day. So Hickorytech brought a new Motorola cable box in. For a while I never really noticed a problem until I started using Steam to download games quite often. When I start downloading a file, you can easily see an interference between the Internet being used and the DSL signal (glitching and choppy). But the big problem is, after a while of being like this (sometimes its 2 minutes, sometimes its 20 minutes), the cable box will just freeze, needing a reset.

After a while of this happening, I called Hickorytech and they sent a person out to our house. Basically all he said was that our router might be causing interference between the DSL and Internet signal, and he suggested we either update the firmware for the router or get a new router. That router was a D-Link Extreme-G wireless router, which was extremely old anyways, so we bought a Linksys E3000 to replace it. After installing the router and getting it all set up and working, I am still noticing the DSL interference (have not downloaded a file large enough to see if it still freezes up).

So what exactly can/should I do? The last solution Hickorytech gave me was that they would come and split the DSL from the Internet so they weren't going into the same box. My only other solution is to switch to something else like Mediacom I guess. Anybody have any suggestions?

-Thanks

Solution
That is a combo dsl and cable box. I would talk to Hickorytech and have them get you a stand-alone DSL modem. You can buy those easily enough but should not have to if you are renting the box from them.
G

I don't quite see how they propose to "split the DSL from the internet".

If your service is DSL -- that's how you're getting your internet. Or is your internet service cable ?

I've a feeling there's some confusion here. You mention it's a wireless router. Wireless is almost always slower than wired -- and this is very noticeable on games.

Pigbearman

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
I'm not sure, but that's what he said, something about separating the internet from the DSL. As for your last statement what do you mean exactly? I have no problem with the speed, I have a problem with my Internet shutting down my cable box.

G

Is the internet being provided via the Cable company ? Or is it DSL ?

Wireless is also less reliable.

If the cable box is being closed down -- does that affect TV or telephone (assuming they are being provided by Cable company) ?

Where does DSL come into this in that case ?

If you can't answer those questions, you will need to talk to your Internet Provider about the problem because I don't think anyone can help you here based on the information you have provided.

DSL would have absolutely nothing with the cable box, they are on separate systems. Your DSL connection IS your internet, there is no way to split it.

I think maybe you are using terms that are not correct for what you are describing or the techs you are dealing with from the cable company are clueless and are just throwing tech terms at you randomly to avoid fixing the issue.

DSL goes over your phone lines, your cable TV goes over a coaxial cable run to the house. Saying one affects the other is like saying running the dishwasher makes your garage door open.

Now your phones may have issues with DSL or the phone lines going into the house, could they maybe be talking about getting filters on your phones?

Pigbearman

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
/sigh
@ fihart
I said, we get our internet/TV/Phone from hickorytech. I'm not 100% sure how it actually comes in, but they all connect to our Motorola Box. Yes, when the box shuts down, the internet and TV do not work (phone does though), in which case we have to reset the box.

@hang-the-9
Yes, the cable comes in via coaxial cable, and the wire for the internet is plugged into the same cable box. I'm assuming this is where the interference comes from. I know it has something to do with the internet though, because there are no problems until I start downloading something (like a game), then I see all the distortion in the actual TV picture, then most of the time it shuts the box down.

Pigbearman

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
@hang-the-9

It must have something to do with the Box itself. Last week I built a computer for a friend. He was over at my house and noticed I had Hickorytech, which apparently he also does. He has the same box too, AND the same problems with it (internet somehow shutting down the entire box).

OK, we're getting closer here. So the "box" that you are talking about, I'm assuming is the cable converter. In your case it's also acting like your internet modem, although I don't think I have ever heard of a device that does both.

Is the internet cable a phone cable? Where does the other end go to, does it go to a regular phone wall jack?

Can you post the model # of that Motorola box?

If this is a cable box/dsl modem combo, you can for certain get a separate DSL modem and Router for your internet connections. That is something you would work out with the service providor. In my thinking, since they can't fix the issue you are having with this single Motorola device, they should be responsible for getting the DSL modem and getting it setup. They should not just tell you to split it on your own, you pay for the service and the support, which means if the service does not work with the equipment they provided, they need to get you equipment that does work.

Pigbearman

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009

Sorry for the late reply, the model is: RG2200C

Pigbearman

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
Well, I finally called them after being on vacation for a while and they came and split the connection. Gave me what looks like an old, used, crappy modem. Brand I have never heard of (Next Level Communications VDSL E2010). It DID (Finally) fix the problem with the distortion and disconnects.

Now I have only had this thing for about 8 hours. It has randomly disconnected itself from the internet a couple times, which worries me. Hopefully it isn't a crap modem, but at least it isn't killing our DSL box. As for this ugly/awful modem, can I get a new, better modem somewhere that will actually be compatible with my ISP?