Sign in with
Your question
Solved

AMD Phenom II X4 955 vs Intel Core i3-2100

Last response: in CPUs
September 16, 2011 8:25:17 PM

Just wanted to get some opinion on those too if i'm were to plan on upgrading to either a BullDozer or a IvyBridge in a year or so
a c 143 à CPUs
a b À AMD
a b å Intel
September 16, 2011 9:55:37 PM

What do you have now that your looking at these as an intermediate step? Because I would really suggest you keep what you have until what you want comes out.
m
l
a c 83 à CPUs
a b À AMD
September 16, 2011 9:59:58 PM

What do you plan to use the computer for?

Opinion isn't all that important since there are plenty of facts online already, many forum discussions about this already, and most any review of the I3 2100 includes Phenom II X4 processors for comparison.
m
l
Related resources
September 16, 2011 10:03:15 PM

I have a Q 6600 quad at the moment, its around 4 years old.

It's for gaming, looking at new games like battlefield 3, skyrim, and SW: Tor. I'm on a budget, also not really sure if it is really necessary to upgrade now.
m
l

Best solution

September 17, 2011 12:43:09 AM

Wait for Ivy Bridge or Bulldozer because that AMD Phenom, is actually the same speed as your Q 6600, just at a higher clock rate (so clock for clock it's the same/similar speed)...if you can overclock your CPU (or if u already have) to 3.2GHz you already have a x4 955 :D 
As for the i3-2100...I THINK it's faster than the x4 955 in gaming, but it's not worth it at this point to get the new Z68/p67 motherboards and then barely a year later buy an Ivy bridge motherboard, so yeah....
Stick with it :) 
September 17, 2011 3:05:44 AM

Best answer selected by bjones0024.
m
l
September 17, 2011 3:08:48 AM

thanks, I might just do that, hold out for the ivy bridge and get a 7xxx series gpu instead of a 6950 now
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 17, 2011 4:00:45 AM

mkchampion14 said:
Wait for Ivy Bridge or Bulldozer because that AMD Phenom, is actually the same speed as your Q 6600, just at a higher clock rate (so clock for clock it's the same/similar speed)...if you can overclock your CPU (or if u already have) to 3.2GHz you already have a x4 955 :D 
As for the i3-2100...I THINK it's faster than the x4 955 in gaming, but it's not worth it at this point to get the new Z68/p67 motherboards and then barely a year later buy an Ivy bridge motherboard, so yeah....
Stick with it :) 

Ivy bridge is just a die shrink. Die shrinks are not worth waiting for unless the existing node is having issue. And it is not. Especially with chips like the 2500K out there now. However........

The other side of your argument is more or less true. The q6600 is a great processor still. Wouldn't bother to upgrade that chip UNTIL you start to have specific performance related issues.
m
l
September 17, 2011 4:03:57 AM

FALC0N said:
Ivy bridge is just a die shrink. Die shrinks are not worth waiting for unless the existing node is having issue. And it is not. Especially with chips like the 2500K out there now. However........

The other side of your argument is more or less true. The q6600 is a great processor still. Wouldn't bother to upgrade that chip UNTIL you start to have specific performance related issues.

True, however it's also the debut of tri-gate transistors which, according to Intel, are more efficient and more powerful than the normal transistors, AND thermals won't be as high since it's 22nm. Besides, the OP is asking whether to go from Q6600 --> i3-2100 --> Ivy Bridge or just wait for Ivy Bridge xD Waiting would be cheaper...even if Ivy Bridge costs more than Sandy Bridge lol
m
l
September 17, 2011 4:08:20 AM

bjones0024 said:
thanks, I might just do that, hold out for the ivy bridge and get a 7xxx series gpu instead of a 6950 now

Yeah 7000 series FTW :p 
m
l
September 17, 2011 4:08:47 AM

I have been thinking about just getting a 2500k after reading a lot of people as its the best CPU as far as gaming goes, and id probably be better of getting that then waiting till ivy bridge if I can afford too.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 17, 2011 4:28:45 AM

bjones0024 said:
I have been thinking about just getting a 2500k after reading a lot of people as its the best CPU as far as gaming goes, and id probably be better of getting that then waiting till ivy bridge if I can afford too.

Are you you having issues with your current cpu? If not wait. By the time you do need it, all the stuff out now will be a lot cheaper..

Mkchampion was correct in that your not going to get a big enough performance jump to justify the cost right now. You gave him the best answer and he deserved it. Save yourself a couple hundred bucks. 2500k or its yet to be released equivalent will be a $90 chip a year and a half from now.

m
l
September 17, 2011 4:53:56 AM

FALC0N said:
Are you you having issues with your current cpu? If not wait. By the time you do need it, all the stuff out now will be a lot cheaper..

Mkchampion was correct in that your not going to get a big enough performance jump to justify the cost right now. You gave him the best answer and he deserved it. Save yourself a couple hundred bucks. 2500k or its yet to be released equivalent will be a $90 chip a year and a half from now.

Proof of what falcon said? I got my i7-930 for $150 at micro center last winter :D  cause it had JUST been phased out for the 950 (which funnily enough was the normal $300)
m
l
September 17, 2011 3:52:35 PM

Not having any issues at all with my CPU, still runs great, I'm sure everything that I want to get as.far as games go will run just fine on my system, deus ex: hr actually ran better then I thought it was going too, few hiccups here and there, could be my old 4850, or my older hdd best I have is a 1.5 SATA, mostly just wanna make sure bf3 and skyrim run decently on my system.
m
l
September 17, 2011 4:35:41 PM

Personally I believe that unless technology is going to be released in the following month, that it's not worth waiting for it. Just buy what is available. Ivy Bridge is delayed until like what, March or April? Just get a z68 board with an i5-2500k and be set for a long time. There is a chance on BIOSes for existing 1155 MBs to be upgraded to allow IB.

Wait for Black Friday or something and get the i5-2500K on sale. Then overclock it to 4.5GHz when you need more performance (which won't be for a long time anyway).

Don't wait for IB if you need an upgrade now. However why waste good money when you don't need it? I'm sure a q6600 can handle current games just fine.
m
l
September 17, 2011 7:28:26 PM

bjones0024 said:
Not having any issues at all with my CPU, still runs great, I'm sure everything that I want to get as.far as games go will run just fine on my system, deus ex: hr actually ran better then I thought it was going too, few hiccups here and there, could be my old 4850, or my older hdd best I have is a 1.5 SATA, mostly just wanna make sure bf3 and skyrim run decently on my system.

The games should run perfectly fine my 5770 is a little slower than the 4870 so ur probably MAYBE ~10% slower graphics...try overclocking your 4850 if u havent lol overclocking seems to solve everything :) 
My 5770 actually has almost 4890 level performance XD
m
l
!