Eupheme

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
Hello all! I'm looking to build my first computer. I have no experience in hardware, but have spent the last few weeks on sites like this rummaging any information I can through very helpful advice. After I was done, I came out with the specs below. I'm looking for a computer that can handle gaming at maxed settings with a fast FPS.

My questions are:
Will this do what I want it to do?
Are there any parts that are at a calibur unnecessary for what I want this computer to do?
Are there any small tweaks I could make (money wise) that would give me a decent performance boost?

Processor:
Intel Core i5 2500K LGA 1155 Boxed Processor

-EDIT-
Mobo:
ASRock P67 EXTREME4 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

HDD:
Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"...

SSD:
Samsung 470 Series MZ-5PA064/US 64GB 2.5" SATA 3.0...

-EDIT-
RAM:

Corsair XMS3 8GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800) CL9 Desktop...

Optical:

Super AllWrite DVD-RW Drive OEM

-EDIT-
Power:

Antec EarthWatts Green Series 650 Watt ATX 12V Pow...

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit OEM (P...

Monitor:

Acer G235H Abd 23" Widescreen LCD Monitor

Case:
Thermaltake Armor A60 VM20001W2Z Black Mid Tower G...

Video Card:

MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II NVIDIA GeForce GTX 56...

Thanks in advance!

I do not see a motherboard listed but presuming that you are going with Z68 board. There is no need for that fast a memory and I would replace it with 1600MHz and I would get a PSU from Corsair, Antec, XFX or Seasonic since CM ones are hit and miss.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
1. What cpu cooler are you going to use? If you use the stock cooler then you can save money by not buying the "K" version of the CPU. If you are going to overclock then you need a good aftermarket cpu cooler.
2. 64GB is not very big for a boot drive. You could go 80 or 90, or even up to 120.

Eupheme

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
Oops! Skipped right over the motherboard for some reason. I had the ASRock P67 EXTREME4 picked out, what is the Z68?

Thanks for the suggestions for the memory and PSU, i'll look around some more.

Eupheme

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011

Ok great, i'll stick with the P67 then.

I edited the OP with temporary parts that I found while using www.microcenter.com

I have one near my house, so I get the in store rebates.

I also might add that I plan to overclock my graphics card to match the specs of the next in the series (with a $100 difference in price, even with the aftermarket cooler)

What wattage do I need to manage all of this, by the way?

Edit:
@Cadder: I wasn't sure if I wanted to overclock or not, and I figured if I needed to, why not have the K? I couldn't really see any huge difference in price, unless i'm just looking in the wrong place.
Thanks for your advice about the SSD, i'll look into it.