Fans run but could power supply be bad?

ap2704

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
Hello,

I have a 350w power supply in a server case. The computer will not boot up. The CPU, power, and case fans all work but the cd drive does not. Could the power supply be bad but still run the three fans?

aoommen

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
Where you trying to use a PSU from an older build? - I'm trying to figure out why you got a 350W PSU, and I would assume it is not 80 plus certified either!

PSU is one of the most overlooked components when it comes to computer builds and therefore one of the parts which gets the least amount of money when you budget and price your build!

Don't know how experienced a builder you are, if you have done this before then you probably know this, otherwise - hey we all learn from our mistakes - I know I did! ;)

No serious brand produces 350W psu today. Get rid of it an buy yourself a decent PSU with enough power for you configuration.
- I agree!

Few things to looks for when you are PSU shopping:

Reviews & Research - Jonnyguru.com - this is a great site to get information from.

Brand Name: Buy a well known brand the above site would have some great names on it! I am a Seasonic fan, but there are other equally good brands!

80 plus certification: More for efficiency but this is also a good indicator of quality, I would personally not by anything that is not an 80 Plus Gold rated! (if you are tight on the budget, go for a Silver). Also use the link to ratify the badge, there are fake ones out there, so don't get duped, that link has all the list of genuine 80 plus certified PSU's!

Output: Pay attention to 12V rail max load ratings and also depending on your other components calculate the Wattage you would need - here is a good calculator for that!

Budget: Lastly, do not skimp on the power supply budget to beef up other components, allot a fair share of money for the PSU, after all this box provides all the juice for your awesome machine! Also the case and the PSU are 2 things which you can carry with you for your next build and the one after that...!

Hope this helps! All the best!

ap2704

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
This isn't mine, It's a government computer at the fire station (enough said). I build my own gaming computers for personal use so I understand the theory behind the need for a good PS. Any brands I should look at?

TRENDING THREADS