Can't overclock GTX 560 Ti to high clocks !

xperator

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
Hi guys,

I want to overclock my Gigabyte 560 Ti but it seems it is very limited.
The stock card clocks is 822/2000. I could push it up to 900/2100 but it is just a 1-4 fps gain in games!

There are tons of reviews that they could oc the nvidia reference card from 822Mhz to 1 ghz. why I can't even reach 950 Mhz?
I checked the temps the card stays at ~40C. I have installed the latest beta driver (270.51)

Where is the problem ? Is this really this card limit ?

Note : I am overclocking using Nvidia System Tools.

xperator

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
when I start a game, after a few sec it crash and backs to desktop and a notification pops up and says that the 'nvidia driver stops working and successfully restored'.

I am stuck at 900/2100. I can't go higher! If I do, the game will crash after a few mins.

Well the first problem is you need to stress test the card and not jump straight into games.

Download FurMark. Run it till the card's temp evens out - around 5-10 mins. Use full screen.

Also, OC the VRAM and the CORE seperately, not together. Set the core back to stock and just work on the VRAM first. I doubt you'll be able to push the VRAM very much, 2100 might already be causing issues. For stressing VRAM with FurMark, set 4xAA on. Issues that will arise include crashing the system, locking up, BSOD, or driver reset.

For stressing the core, use 0xAA. Usually the first issue to pop up is artifacting, sometimes including the GPU making a funny noise (a buzz). It often will crash after that if you don't stop the test, and sometimes you need to reset the PC anyway before doing another test - kind of depends...

xperator

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
@ wolfram23

Ok I am doing what you said.

Each time I increase the clocks, I have to use FurMark for 10 min, right ?
You said each one seperately, does that mean after i reached VRAM limit I have to return VRAM to stock clock and start with CORE ?

I usually do around 5 min tests until it starts showing instability, but usually with only 5 mins you can overshoot your max true stable so once it crashes or whatever, you need to back it down and do thorough tests.

And no, once you set the VRAM leave it because that's what it'll be in your final OC. Occasionally you might need to drop it 5-10mhz once you get the core speed up to keep things stable.

Once you think you have the max core and VRAM speed set, run a full 10 mins or so at 2xAA to really stress everything, after that play some games. Occasionally it might still crash in a game, generally speaking just lowering VRAM 5 or 10 mhz will fix that... in my own experience, it was fine for most games but I kept getting some crashes in STALKER and dropping 10 mhz fixed it for me so, yeah... there you have it lol.

I'd recommend leaving the memory at stock and focus on the core first. You can go back and try the memory later if you really want to, but lets keep the number of variables low.

Well admittedly VRAM OCing is trickier than core, but the payoff is quite good. I ran furmark tests at 4xAA, and VRAM was the limiting factor so the FPS gain was ONLY noticed with VRAM speed, and not affected by core speed.

memandcorespeedvsfps.png

Verticle (0-50): FPS
Horizontal (725-875): Core speed
Depth (1000-1200): Mem speed

xperator

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
Ok, I did what you said. I reached 900 for core and 2200 for Vram. I can't even push the core by 5. 900 is really the limit. I am not sure about Vram.

900/2100 or 900/2200 neither one is stable, It freezes after 10 min.
BTW, I notice 900 core compared to 822 is a 5-10 fps gain in games. (not the 1-4 i mentioned above)

You know this is doing very well with every game I am playing, AVG fps is 50-60 at 1980x1080 Everything maxed 4xaa 16xaf. The reason I want to overclock this card is that when I tried playing Metro 2033, The perfomance is not good.
In Metro 2033 if I Enabled 'DX11' and the Settings on 'Very High' the game runs at 20-25 fps. This is horrible.
I can't even play it at DX10 Very High settings. I have to change 'Very High' to 'High'. After that the game runs at ~50 fps. Sometimes it drops to 30 but never goes under 30 fps.

Any thought ?

Yeah you can buy a second card for SLI and then maybe max it... Seriously.

That's what I did. Now I have 2 5850s, overclocked, and Metro at very high, dx11, all settings on and maxed except AA is set to AAA, and it runs around 40-50 most of the time but usually dips to the 30s when there's a lot of lighting effects.

xperator

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009
So Metro 2033 became like the old Crysis game. Does it really have that high graphics or is it a little bad coded game ?

Buying a second card for SLI ? Well I just bought the rig a few days ago, so I will have to wait a few months till I can afford it.

Does 560 Ti in SLI perform fast enough to overcome Metro 2033 at DX11 and 4xMSAA ?

Depends. DoF and 4xAA will eat VRAM so really you need a 1.5gb card for both, no matter how powerful. My 1gb cards drop to around 5fps if I enable both, but with 1 or the other it runs well enough with the rest maxed.

But yeah two 560s would run the game at a pretty solid framerate with max settings (besides both DoF and 4xMSAA)