Sign in with
Your question

Problems with Computer Build

Last response: in CPUs
September 17, 2011 8:02:22 AM

I've recently purchased my first DIY computer and am having couple problems with the install.

The first is that there seems to be a problem with the CPU temp sensor. Since I built the computer, every time my comp starts up, I get an overtemp warning and when I check the temp in the BIOS, it's always at exactly 97 Celsius. It hasn't once changed even if i leave it running for a while or shut down for a while and check again. Fan seems seated well so I don't think it's a true overheat (not to mention the temp would likely change if it was).

The second problem I'm having is that Windows 7 doesn't seem to recognize my SATA III HDDs. I have two (listed below) and I wasn't sure if they needed specific jumper settings or not. My original plan was to run a RAID 1. They are recognized by my BIOS when the comp starts, and I can access them in the Windows device manager, but they don't show as accessible. I installed Marvell SATA 6G AHCI Driver, but it didn't seem to help. It did immediately recognize my SSD though which is also setup through the SATA III.

I've also updated Windows and my Mobo drivers, CPU drivers, and GPU drivers, but none of these fixed either issue. I'm hesitant to flash/update my BIOS because I know how easy it is to screw it up.

Shaun

Build information that may be helpful:

ASUS ROG Maximus IV Extreme (Rev 3.0) Mobo
Intel i7 2600k
WD Caviar Black 2TB SATA 6.0Gb (WD2002FAEX)
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
a b à CPUs
September 17, 2011 9:06:36 AM

Have you added thermal paste and seated properly the cpu hsf?
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 17, 2011 9:25:29 AM

boot up and go into BIOS an check the CPU temperature there - it is most liekly to be a badly fitted HSF (especially the intel item) or too much TIM... easy mistake to make :) 
m
l
Related resources
September 17, 2011 9:38:50 AM

You were both right. Even though I've done it a few times alright, I tried again and the temps went down when I re-seated the HSF. Unfortunately, the temp is still running about 72 Celsius, which I believe is still quite high (stock HSF btw).

Not sure what TIM is.
m
l
September 17, 2011 9:54:47 AM

I've been doing some reading about aftermarket HSFs and how poor the Intel ones usually are, so I've decided to pick up an aftermarket HSF. It looks like the Zalman CNPS9700 is the best rated, so I'll probably go with that.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 17, 2011 10:14:01 AM

trix017 said:
I've been doing some reading about aftermarket HSFs and how poor the Intel ones usually are, so I've decided to pick up an aftermarket HSF. It looks like the Zalman CNPS9700 is the best rated, so I'll probably go with that.

I am running a stock intel hsf with a i7 2600k@ stock clocks with Prolimatech PK-1 and the temps dont go above 51c when i play games.
m
l
a c 114 à CPUs
September 17, 2011 4:06:01 PM

Everyone develops their own application techniques but this is what works for me ...

Even 'less is more' when it comes to paste/TIM.

As far as your HDDs, did you 'initialize' before formatting ??

m
l
!