Sign in with
Your question
Closed

I'm wanting to upgrad my hp a1210n radeon series 200 video card. can y

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 8, 2011 4:31:28 PM

I'm wanting to upgrad my hp a1210n radeon series 200 video card. can you help? don't have a whole lot of experience in this area. Am hoping to get my computer to stream movies and stuff like that better than it does now.

More about : wanting upgrad a1210n radeon series 200 video card

Best solution

a c 147 U Graphics card
April 8, 2011 5:03:35 PM

Your video is onboard. Which means it is build into the motherboard. You will need an expansion card. You will want to verify that you have a PCI-E x16 slot available, some of those oem boards do not have them. It looks like the black slot in the picture.

Then you will want to look at the power supply and let us know what the wattage is. My guess is about 300W or less.

You mentioned you want this for streaming video? Is that all you will use this for? No gaming I assume.
April 9, 2011 4:09:43 PM

jay2tall said:
Your video is onboard. Which means it is build into the motherboard. You will need an expansion card. You will want to verify that you have a PCI-E x16 slot available, some of those oem boards do not have them. It looks like the black slot in the picture.

http://www.karbosguide.com/books/pcarchitecture/images/828.jpg

Then you will want to look at the power supply and let us know what the wattage is. My guess is about 300W or less.

You mentioned you want this for streaming video? Is that all you will use this for? No gaming I assume.

Thank you jay2tall for your indepth answer so quickly. Haven't been into the computer yet to verify the PCI-E x16 slot yet, but do know it is a 300 watt power supply. Don't fully understand the "expansion slot" comment. Do yoou mean the PCI-E slot in the picture. Is it possible to have an external video card I can plug into USB to get the desired effect?
Score
Related resources
April 9, 2011 4:11:44 PM

Thank you jay2tall for your indepth answer so quickly. Haven't been into the computer yet to verify the PCI-E x16 slot yet, but do know it is a 300 watt power supply. Don't fully understand the "expansion slot" comment. Do yoou mean the PCI-E slot in the picture. Is it possible to have an external video card I can plug into USB to get the desired effect?
Score
a c 147 U Graphics card
April 9, 2011 6:04:44 PM

All of the slots on your motherboard, the Black PCI-E and the white PCI slots are considered "expansion slot" for which expansion cards are plugged into. It's a general term in computer world. The little black one in the picture is a PCI-E x1 slot.

You can install a video card, which is an expansion card, into the right expansion slot on your motherboard. There are a few USB video adapters out there, but they are terrible and expensive. You want a $30-$50 video card that does what you need, that is all.
Score
April 16, 2011 12:43:32 AM

Best answer selected by keiko.
Score
a c 169 U Graphics card
a b α HP
April 16, 2011 7:44:11 AM

This topic has been closed by Maziar
Score
!