Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Motherboard not detecting any good graphics cards

Last response: in Motherboards
June 7, 2012 6:37:08 PM

After assembling my computer I find that my video display only appears if my video card is unplugged (I assume because it is using my onboard graphics). My computer boots up either way; I can hear it (installed windows). I have changed pcie slots and tried my old gpu which I know works but no luck. I can´t find my graphics cards anywhere in my devices, bios so it seems the computer can´t detect them. I even installed video drivers (with errors) without card detection. The fans work in both the video cards. There seems to be a marked draining of power when video cards are plugged in (merely based on sound). This leads me to think the following:

A: My power supply can´t power them completely for some reason.

B: My pcie slots or mobo is defective.

C: My video card is bad.

Asus p877-v lx mobo
ati radeon hd 6850 graphics card
8gig of corsair
panther power x 620W from skyhawk (website?)

Thanks in advance,

Jason

Best solution

June 7, 2012 7:25:38 PM

jnibski said:
my video display only appears if my video card is unplugged

With the video card plugged in, you do have the monitor connected to the card and not the motherboard, yes?
June 7, 2012 10:46:34 PM

No, I don't. Am I supposed to have the monitor connected to the video card outlet? That is a different connection, and so I'll need a new/different cable? I do remember an adapter that came with the video card, come to think of it. But does that solve the issue of the card not being detected? Does the motherboard detect the video card by routing through the GPU to the monitor?? Can't test now, at work.
Related resources
a c 431 V Motherboard
a c 187 U Graphics card
June 7, 2012 11:40:35 PM

most new mb will auto detect what port you have the video cables on. and make that device the first boot device and turn off the other device.
a c 328 V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
June 7, 2012 11:42:19 PM

BTW, did u plug in the power cable for the GPU?
June 7, 2012 11:49:11 PM

smorizio said:
most new mb will auto detect what port you have the video cables on. and make that device the first boot device and turn off the other device.

If I'm not mistaken, on-board video won't work with a dedicated GPU plugged in... which is why he wasn't getting video with GPU plugged in and monitor connected to mobo.

nikorr said:
BTW, did u plug in the power cable for the GPU?

+1 was just about to ask.
June 8, 2012 1:37:25 AM

This is awesome. That explains why I get no video when I plug in the video cards; the mobo is trying to use the Radeon but it isn't plugged in. It also may explain why the GPU isn't detected. I was hoping there was an easy explanation but I couldn't find in anywhere. I'll test as soon as I get home.

And yes I had plugged in the six pin power cable from the PSU to the GPU (and would get no video). Will try tonight.
a c 328 V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
June 8, 2012 1:55:51 AM

Cool, let us know :D 
June 8, 2012 11:40:07 PM

Success! I just want to thank each of you for your prompt and accurate help. I haven't worked on computers for so long and the technology has changed a lot.
The solution was just to plug the monitor cable directly into the video card. Sometimes it's the simplest of things.
a c 328 V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
June 9, 2012 12:11:16 AM

:D 

Sometimes it's the simplest of things - Yes it is : )
a c 328 V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
July 3, 2012 4:31:51 PM

Best answer selected by Nikorr.
a c 328 V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
July 3, 2012 4:32:08 PM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
!