Sign in with
Your question

Rampage 4 extreme no display

Last response: in Motherboards
June 7, 2012 8:01:15 PM

the motherboard is running all fans are running there are light and all that, but there is no display i thought it was my video card but then my video card is working i tried all the slots.. on the motherboard the debug code says A2 but i dont understand at all.. can someone help me please? is it possible to run bios without the memory ram?
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a b U Graphics card
a c 716 V Motherboard
June 7, 2012 10:10:41 PM

A2 = IDE Detect.

Make sure the (red box on PCB) PCIe Switch has all (4) of the switches in the ON (left) positions. I assume that you connected the 4-pin+8-pin CPU, 24-pin main, all 4~8-pin(s) connected to the GPU(s), and IF your GPU has lights typically (2) LEDs are 'green' ON. Further, if you have 3-4 GPUs then you need to connect the 6-pin EZ Plug.
m
l
June 8, 2012 8:35:22 AM

im so frustrated if i knew i was gonna have problems with this board i would have bought a different one.. now it says AE.. its giving me 1 continues beep and 3 short beeps.. i tried flashing the bios with new update.. one question though, if my memory ram is not compatible with the board is that a major problem, would that be the cause why its not showing any displays? if only i could get some display on the monitor and give me access to the bios i would be so freaking happy.. ive connected all the cables did everything possible.. im not sure if the board is dead or my video card is not working or the pci slots not working.. is there any other way to do to get this thing working?
m
l
Related resources
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a b U Graphics card
a c 716 V Motherboard
June 8, 2012 8:56:07 AM

The "1 continues beep and 3 short beeps" is a VGA/GPU error. This can happen if the GPU is bad, or if the GPU(s) is/are improperly seated or installed, or if the PCIe power is not connected to the GPU(s) - as mentioned "4~8-pin(s)", or the PSU is bad to the PCIe leads or other power.

Q - List all of your components.
Q - Are there any LEDs tuned-on the GPU and if so the color & number?
Q - What LEDs are tuned-on on the MOBO? What color and location (see 2-22~2-29 of your manual)
m
l
a c 117 Ĉ ASUS
a c 202 U Graphics card
a c 466 V Motherboard
June 8, 2012 8:57:56 AM

take out the ram but one dimm and put it in the first dimm slot. you also want to put the mb on a table just to make sure your not shorting it out. try to find or use a older nvidia or ati card if you can. one that pci 2.0 and not 3.0 some of the x79 are a little flaky with pci 30 video cards. one thing to also check is for bent pins under the cpu. a lot of new builds dont catch them if there a bent pin from shipping.
m
l
June 8, 2012 5:03:05 PM

jaquith said:
The "1 continues beep and 3 short beeps" is a VGA/GPU error. This can happen if the GPU is bad, or if the GPU(s) is/are improperly seated or installed, or if the PCIe power is not connected to the GPU(s) - as mentioned "4~8-pin(s)", or the PSU is bad to the PCIe leads or other power.

Q - List all of your components.
Q - Are there any LEDs tuned-on the GPU and if so the color & number?
Q - What LEDs are tuned-on on the MOBO? What color and location (see 2-22~2-29 of your manual)

Components:

-G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB)
-Intel Core i7-3820 Sandy Bridge-E 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 2011 130W
-CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX1200
-OCZ Vertex 3 VTX3-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III
-ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner
-EVGA 015-P3-1580-AR GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16
-CORSAIR H100 (CWCH100)

i dont have LED tuned in the GPU.

LED near the 24-pin connector has a red color light up in the label VGA, then i have an orange LED at the bottom near the chipset it says BIOS_1 i think. Then the lights that are on Start and reset. Besides that i dont see anymore LEDs.
m
l
June 8, 2012 5:05:16 PM

smorizio said:
take out the ram but one dimm and put it in the first dimm slot. you also want to put the mb on a table just to make sure your not shorting it out. try to find or use a older nvidia or ati card if you can. one that pci 2.0 and not 3.0 some of the x79 are a little flaky with pci 30 video cards. one thing to also check is for bent pins under the cpu. a lot of new builds dont catch them if there a bent pin from shipping.

i tried this but im still not getting any displays on the screen. and i checked also the pins under the cpu, i didnt see any bent pins.. its my first time building a computer and i got this motherboard such a pain in the a#$ ! :( 
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a b U Graphics card
a c 716 V Motherboard
June 8, 2012 5:40:57 PM

/No CPU, RAM or GPU required - update the BIOS/

First off, I've (too) many seen issues with the i7-3820, and using the USB BIOS Flashback update the BIOS to v1305. Download the BIOS - http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_2011/Ramp..., unzip, rename to -- R4E.ROM --, copy to a FAT32 USB Flash Drive, plug into the White USB 2.0 post and follow the guide - http://event.asus.com/2012/mb/USB_BIOS_Flashback_GUIDE/

Also, make damn sure you're using the correct H100 standoff's: (NO) ==|== vs (YES) =|== ; shorter end to the MOBO and longer end to the H100 pump.

Note the White USB 2.0 for USB BIOS Flashback:
m
l
June 8, 2012 6:19:47 PM

jaquith said:
/No CPU, RAM or GPU required - update the BIOS/

First off, I've (too) many seen issues with the i7-3820, and using the USB BIOS Flashback update the BIOS to v1305. Download the BIOS - http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_2011/Ramp..., unzip, rename to -- R4E.ROM --, copy to a FAT32 USB Flash Drive, plug into the White USB 2.0 post and follow the guide - http://event.asus.com/2012/mb/USB_BIOS_Flashback_GUIDE/

Also, make damn sure you're using the correct H100 standoff's: (NO) ==|== vs (YES) =|== ; shorter end to the MOBO and longer end to the H100 pump.

Note the White USB 2.0 for USB BIOS Flashback:
http://www.asus.com/websites/Global/products/r7FZemJak3vMbWHg/zAu28CafCzDw7hY1_500.jpg

do i update the bios 1 or bios 2 ? and in the guide it doesnt say if i should flash the bios while i powered on the motherboard or just leave the power to be plugged and dont turn it on? my question is kinda confusing, to make it simpler ON or OFF (with power plugged). And in the H100 pump should it be tight?
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a b U Graphics card
a c 716 V Motherboard
June 8, 2012 7:32:24 PM

USB BIOS Flashback will flash the correct chip (BIOS1), and the 24-pin main must be connected anything else doesn't need to be connected.

If in the parts you have x4 standoff's that are uneven then ==|=== then you installed the wrong ones -- if you have x4 even ones ==|== then you used the correct standoffs (tight or not). The H100 should be finger thight only i.e. no need for a screwdriver and if you used a screwdriver no more than a 1/4~1/2 turn.
m
l
June 9, 2012 11:44:23 PM

today i flashed the v1305 BIOS update. and even took off the board from the case, plugged in the necessary components, and turned it on.. guess what, still no screen display.. the debug code has been changed to AE. i filed an RMA for all the main components, and build a different gaming rig, i think im going for a Z77 motherboard.. and i5 ivy bridge.. hope this time i could get it to work.. i give up fixing this rampage 4 extreme.. its just giving me stress and its so frustating.. specially when you dont know why its not working when you know you followed step by step on how to set it up and has been very careful with everything.. rampage 4 extreme is so getting negative feedbacks from me..
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a b U Graphics card
a c 716 V Motherboard
June 10, 2012 12:09:53 AM

Just out dumb curiosity, as I mentioned before (double-checking), "I assume that you connected the 4-pin+8-pin CPU" -- there are (2) sets of CPU power -- one 8-pin PLUS one 4-pin (12 pins in total). Every R4E I've ever built BOTH were connected.

Further, there are a crap load of dip switches on the R4E -- reread the manual and make certain that they're in their Default positions.

AE = Legacy Boot Event

Try a different GPU. The EVGA 015-P3-1580-AR has both a 6-pin + 8-pin and both MUST be connected using a pair of PCIe leads from the AX1200, and on the PSU make sure both ends of ALL leads are properly used and firmly in place.

Therefore, the minimum connections (1xGPU)
1. 24-pin main
2. 8-pin CPU
3. 4-pin AUX for CPU
4. 8-pin PCIe to GTX 580
5. 6/8-pin PCIe to GTX 580
m
l
June 11, 2012 12:48:38 AM

Finally i got it working now.. it seems that the power plug end that i plugged in the video card was supposed to be the one plugged in the power supply.. how stupid was that :(  but thanks alot jaquith you helped me alot i triple checked it and got it working now.. i actually finished updating drivers and windows update.. the only problem i have now is the audio.. i have the sound card installed and it shows in the device manager that its working fine, but im not getting any sounds.. im trying to research for solutions now.. but if you do know how to fix that also please do help me out.. but then again thanks alot jaquith..
m
l
a c 117 Ĉ ASUS
a c 202 U Graphics card
a c 466 V Motherboard
June 11, 2012 5:53:09 AM

on the back port on most mb it the green port...there is a know issue with older real teck drivers if the spreakers are not plug in you want get sound it turn the green port off. if it the front audio header you have to change it in real teck audio set up.
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a b U Graphics card
a c 716 V Motherboard
June 11, 2012 1:37:34 PM

IF using the 'HDMI' port of the GTX 580 (DVI-I, DVI-I, Mini-HDMI) then the sound on both the onboard and/or sound card will be disabled. HDMI is both sound + video. Otherwise in the sound control panel make sure the correct sound port is used (speakers) from the correct (selected) sound device.

Otherwise play some audio file and with a different i.e. headset try different sound ports.

In the Device Manager look for {? or !} disabled devices and install or re-install your sound drivers. If you have both an onboard and a PCIe sound card try disabling one or the other on the Device Manager.
m
l
June 11, 2012 6:19:58 PM

Im not using the hdmi as the moment, im using the dvi port with the vga converter attached to my monitor. im using the 3.5mm jack of my speaker to connect at the back of the pc.. its not giving me any sound.. and in the playback options the speaker icon is indicated as "not plugged in". And whenever i plug in an earphone in the front panel the speaker icon is available, and whenever i run a test it give me a static sound left and right earphones.. you know those sounds when theres no signal or like in walkie talkie.. that kind of sound.. i tried already uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling them.. my friend said its a problem with the mobo.. but mic is working.. the stereo mix is working.. like i tried calling myself through skype using a different computer.. then on my computer i can see that the bars are going up.. and im sure that the sound is working.. if its a problem in my mobo then it should give me an error right? so i dont know why its acting up like that.. i tried plugging in my speakers to my iphone and it played music just fine.. and yeah i tried all the 3.5mm jacks at the back panel and front panel.. when i get home ill take a screen shot of what it looks like..
m
l
June 11, 2012 6:28:32 PM

smorizio said:
on the back port on most mb it the green port...there is a know issue with older real teck drivers if the spreakers are not plug in you want get sound it turn the green port off. if it the front audio header you have to change it in real teck audio set up.

ok. can you teach me how to do this? i have no knowledge regarding this matter. like turning off the green port.. and front header.. in my years of using a computer i always use a factory built pc and i only encounter simple problems, and this is the first time i built my own pc.. and this is something new to me, please fill me in with the step by step information on how to do this and ill go ahead and try this out.. thanks so much in advance..
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a b U Graphics card
a c 716 V Motherboard
June 11, 2012 6:53:04 PM

I'm a tad foggy here, you stated -- "i have the sound card installed and it shows in the device manager that its working fine"

Sure it's possible you have bad onboard sound. I assume you installed that latest drivers from ASUS, and didn't use the ASUS DVD. Also, go to both Intel and Realtek for the latest drivers.

Drivers:
Latest Realtek - http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/
ASUS - http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_2011/Ramp...
Intel - http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect?iid=dc_iduu

Did you add a PCIe Sound Card or are you talking about the onboard sound?

Try uninstalling the following and reboot.

Speakers:

Settings:
m
l
June 11, 2012 7:36:45 PM

i dont have the PCIe Sound Card yet.. im using the on board sound card.. i can see under your sound video and game controllers, your speaker is named as High Definition Audio Device, and the rest is NVIDIA High Definition Audio.. mine is named as Realtek High Definition Audio if im not mistaken.. and the rest is High Definition Audio Device.. ok so, after i uninstalled these and rebooted, should i install the one from the ASUS site? or the one from Realtek?

and i see under the Sound Playback.. your speaker icon has check, my speaker icon is like your ATI HDMI output, it says not plugged in. and the default speaker its giving me is the Realtek Digital Output(optical)..

in the realtek hd audio manager, under analog back panel.. the icons are disabled.. mean unlike yours the color green is enabled and the rest disabled. but in my part, everything is disabled. im sure to post the screen shots later.. coz im still at the office..
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a b U Graphics card
a c 716 V Motherboard
June 11, 2012 8:19:54 PM

I deliberately did NOT install the Realtek drivers; too many issues and bloat. The 'High Definition Audio Device' is Windows Default -- no problems! ;)  In my case I have two very good USB headsets.

Those images are from two different systems, top X79 and bottom (2) my X58 (both ASUS). On the X79 it has Headphones (not plugged-in) instead of ATI.

I posted those because the ideas are the same.

IF it were me I'd uninstall the Realtek (programs), (Device Manager / Stereo, video ...) 'Realtek High Definition Audio' Uninstall & bottom -> [x] delete the driver software and reboot. Once you have the ports working then create a Restore Point then either the latest from ASUS or 'the' latest from Realtek for your OS/bit size.
m
l
June 12, 2012 6:12:25 AM

i cant seem to make the speakers as my default..

m
l
June 12, 2012 7:44:57 AM

After i installed the latest drive from Realtek i still cant enable the Stereo i cant configure it either.

m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a b U Graphics card
a c 716 V Motherboard
June 12, 2012 10:53:22 AM

Well I'm not going to sugar coat this, there's a decent possibility it's your MOBO and it wouldn't be the first time I've seen this either.

Next, I would shut it down and unplug the HD Audio Header (case) and reboot - test. Failure, Disable the BlueTooth and BlueTooth Audio, reboot - test.

A friend of mine here has the Deluxe X79 and tried everything -- replaced the MOBO and it's been working fine.
m
l
!