Sign in with
Your question

Advice for upgrading system

Last response: in Systems
June 22, 2011 5:18:42 AM

Hello,
I played FF11 PS2 version and then Xbox was addicted to the game but after playing on a friends computer and seeing the amazing difference I vowed to only play on PC. With higher standard for FF14 I went and bought a PC I thought was good value for my money. Now I think I may have jujmped in over my head. Ran benchmark and I wont embarrass myself or my new computer by posting the crap results. I need some advice to get my system up to snuf without breaking the bank. I'm sure graphics and power supply will be the obvious upgrades but can you suggest specifics with price ranges and preformance quality please.

Processors
Intel® Core™ i7-2600 processor(8MB Cache, 3.4GHz)

Memory
8GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 4 DIMMs

Video Card
AMD Radeon™ HD 6450 1GB DDR3

Hard Drive
1TB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache

Puower Supply
460W

Operating System
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64Bit, English
Anonymous
June 22, 2011 10:29:23 AM

This topic has been moved from the section Opinions and Experiences to section Systems by Grumpy9117
June 22, 2011 12:45:41 PM

A few questions:
What resolution are you playing?
Do you have a budget?
Do you know what graphics card your friend was using?
Related resources
June 22, 2011 1:56:47 PM

Not sure what their card was. Budget wise I'd prefer not to spend a lot as I just bought this computer. I'm not tech savvy as you can tell, and I am feeling like a complete tool who purchased the wrong pc. Friends told me to build my own from Tigerdirect or the likes but I am not confident in my ability to pick the correct settings for a game how am I to make the correct purchases for a build. :( 

I'm looking for a few options maybe low end and then also high end and I can choose accordingly. I will spend the money to get the outcome I want I'll just cut other expenses.

Is it as simple as plopping a new higher quality card in also making sure power supply will run it or am I looking at other factors? I don't mean to be a complete noob with this stuff but I basically am. I guess its safe to say the Dell guy saw me coming! Just call me Tucker :/ 
June 23, 2011 3:23:02 AM

After chatting with my friend I've been trying to find solid information on Nvidia GeForce GTX 460 and whether or not it can be installed, wondering about PSU and reading a lot of negative threads in regards to Dell and low quality / low W PSUs. Read posted advice on a help forum saying that money spent on PSU is equally as important as graphics card - is this true? How high do you need to go to ensure adequate preformance in power?
June 23, 2011 4:18:52 AM

This makes it a but complicated, you should have listened to your friend and asked for advice about parts here before buying anything. You learnt your lesson the hard way.

Is the desktop you brought something like this http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-8300/pd

Going buy the tech specs, you can upgrade it to a 6770 or 6870 using that power supply which would both run ffxiv at high settings. A 6850 is not listed in the dell site but it is just below the 6870.

I found a interesting chart on the benchmark: http://www.ffxivorigin.com/content/benchmark-scores-72/

Sapphire 6770 ~ equivalent of 5770 in benchmark scores

XFX 6850 ~ equivalent of GTX 460 [1GB] in benchmark score

HIS 6870 ~ equivalent of 5850 in benchmark scores

A 6770 would be fine if you only plan on playing ffxiv, a score of 2500+ means that you can play the game on high settings at that resolution if I recall correctly.

June 23, 2011 4:44:02 AM

Thank you very much Gamer-girl for the information :)  I greatly appreciate it!
June 23, 2011 5:02:47 AM

Your welcome
!