Adian

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
Motherboard: P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3
CPU: Intel i5 2500k
Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1600 Model # CML16GX3M4A1600C9B
GPU: EVGA GTX 670 / ASUS EN8400GS

I finally received all the parts for my new rig and attempted to boot it for the first time this evening. Several Q-codes flash on the board, then quickly settle on Code 36. The manual informs me this code means "CPU post-memory initialization." During this time, my monitor behaves as though the computer is turned off, and I am still unable to get anything to come up on it. I have let it sit for about a half an hour, and the status does not change. The MemOK LED is not lit, and pressing the MemOK button cycles through the various tests but ultimately does not resolve the issue.

I removed all but one DIMM of memory (in slot A2, as recommended in the manual) and experienced the same issue. I cycled through all four DIMMs with the same result.

Thinking it may be a display issue with my 670, I replaced it with an ASUS EN8400GS that a coworker let me borrow. Again testing with one DIMM, I get the same result.

The monitor and cable are known good. I'm actually swapping the same cable, connected to the same monitor, between the video card on my old system (on which I'm writing this post) and the video card on the new.

At this point I have disconnected everything from the motherboard. The only connections being made are my CPU Cooler Fan, the 8-pin ATX power connector, the 24-pin ATX power connector, and my one DIMM of RAM. I've even removed the case panel connectors for good measure. I'm still getting Code 36.

Side note: This motherboard came to me from ASUS's repair center as a refurbished replacement to a damaged board. They had updated the BIOS and the board passed whatever test(s) they run it through successfully. That makes me slightly less inclined to believe it's an issue with the motherboard itself.

At this point, I'm not sure what else to do. If I could get my hands on another set of RAM, I would test with that, but I'm afraid neither I nor my coworkers have any spare RAM that I can use.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

supersmalls

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
Can you check to see the status of the pins on the CPU, if it is flat check the pins on the board where the cpu slots into. Also check for possibly any burn marks on the cpu die itself (use magnifying glass) if possible use another cpu die to see if there might be a problem with the cpu.

Good luck

Adian

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
I'll have to pull the CPU out and take a look when I get home. I don't have another to test with, I'd have to get Intel involved and work out a replacement.