New Build Hiccups

ta97ws6

Distinguished
May 31, 2011
This is my first build and I'm running into a few problems. For starters here's my setup

i5-2500k
ASUS P67 Pro
8GB Corsair Vengance DDR3 1600
ASUS AMD Radeon 6850
750W Corsair
WD Caviar Black 1TB
WD Velociraptor 150GB
Standard DVD Burner
Storm Scout Mid Tower

First of all I made a newbie mistake of putting the cpu heatsink on and taking it off and I thought that it'd be fine since I hadn't turn the pc on to warm it up but now I'm running 50-60 C at idle. The heatsink is the same one that came on my parents i3-2100 so I'd really like to upgrade to aftermarket cooling. I don't plan on crazy OC but want something to keep my cpu nice and cool. Was looking at either a corsair h50 water system or a Zalman heatsink. Which would be better for me since they are about the same price?

Next issue I'm having is when I go into UEFI to choose my bootable devices all I see on the main screen is my Velociraptor and DVD burner. If I go to bootable menu then it will show my Caviar and no matter which HDD I click on to boot windows will load up...even though I only installed it on the Velociraptor. Also it wont show it in my computer in windows so I cant save or access any files from it. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it but everytime I turn my pc on the ASUS screen will flash up then it will so no bootable disk then flash the asus screen then flash to another black screen saying something about marvell and finally back to the asus screen where I can either proceed to let it boot or press del to enter UEFI

ta97ws6

Distinguished
May 31, 2011
So you would suggest a decent air cooler like that xigmatek over a cheap water cooled setup?

How do I enable all disk controllers? Sorry this is my first build and I'm a noob when it comes to this stuff