Computer freeze during startup/installation

eldgrim

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
Hello!

My computer started freeze when either windows boots or shortly after i was on my desktop.
I tried to format and re-install windows 7 but it freezes. I tried Ubuntu live cd and it was fine. I can stay on the BIOS screen as well no problems. But when i try to install Ubuntu my computer freezes.

I checked the temperature of my cpu and it never goes above 40c. I did a memtest86 with the ubuntu live cd and it found no errors.

I had my friend do a check disk on my main hard drive and it didn't give any errors either.

I have no idea please help! It is a custom built computer. Intel q9550, evga mobo 122-yw-73 something, corsaire xms2 ram and velociraptor hard drive. along with one dvd burner, a second hd for storage and evga 275 video card.

Thanks!

computerlady66

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012

I had the same error with a new built computer I was putting toguether. I was extremely frustated until I read on another thread that it could be related with the RAM voltage that the motherboard had as default. Their suggestion was to put another maybe older chip and try to installed with it. I did that, and to my surprise I was able to installed windows 7. After that I removed the old chip and put the new memory and it worked!
I hope this could help with your computer.

Where did you get these CDs?

I am assuming that the Ubuntu CD was downloaded and burned with a DVD writer, is that true?

Did you do the same thing with the Windows CD?

If so, I am going to bet that both of the CDs had bad burns. If you set the CD drive to burn at the fastest speed (or if that was the default and you left it that way) then this is more likely.

If you DLd and burned both CDs, I would suggest burning the image files again with a chosen speed of 8x. If that fixes one or the other then the download of the file may have been corrupted for the other CD and you may have to re-download that.

Also, just to warn you, if you intend to dual boot these OSs, you absolutely must install Windows first. If you try to do Ubuntu first then Windows you will have nothing but problems.