Sandy Bridge vs Sandy Bridge E?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomhardcore

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
I'm looking to upgrade my core computer components (CPU, motherboard, RAM) in the next month but with Sandy Bridge E coming out in the next month or two, should I hold off from upgrading to a i5 2500K? I've read the preview of the new Sandy Bridge E on the front page but from what I'm looking at, I don't know if it's worth the wait. This computer is primary for just online gaming and some light video converting/compressing, from what I've seen in the preview, the gaming benchmarks don't look different at all from the 2600K. Any help or suggestions would be great.

Thanks

Solution
SB-E will be more expensive and won't be so much better for gaming, so feel free to upgrade to 2500K. It will last you for quite some time, and then you just change the whole PC and give the old one to someone who needs it (family members, etc.)

P.S. Defaul MShep's face = fail :p
I read the same article and what I got out of it is that this next release didn't get that good of a review and they were almost telling us to wait for the next one . The i5-2500k is a real popular and good cpu , if you want to go to the i7-2600 you could probably future proof a little more as that is clocked a bit higher and has more cache and has hyperthreading which adds 4 more logical cores but it's $100 more.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
SB-E will be more expensive and won't be so much better for gaming, so feel free to upgrade to 2500K. It will last you for quite some time, and then you just change the whole PC and give the old one to someone who needs it (family members, etc.)

P.S. Defaul MShep's face = fail :p

Solution

Not that this is bad advice, because it isn't. The 2500k might be the best $220 chip ever. BUT with SB-E and Bulldozer about to hit, might be worth it to see what the new chips have to offer, along with any price drop that accompany them.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
So far, no benchmarks of Bulldozer, and why? Most likely because it's not THAT great, and frankly, I'd stay with Intel. SB-E benchmarks already showed that there isn't much improvement for gaming. I'd wait for SB-E to decrease the price of 2600K and then get it, or get 2500K right away.

I love ridiculous and wild speculation.

There are not bulldozer benchmarks because AMD has elected in recent years to very secretive, prelaunch. Everything they have launched, good or bad, has been a mystery prior to the lifting of the NDA. Even the GPU parts that put them over NVIDIA were largely unknown prior to launch.

The guy asked for advice, not your intel fanboyism.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Or YOUR AMD fanboyism. I'm not a fanboy of anything except maximum bang for buck, get it? Note that OP didn't say ANYTHING about Bulldozer. He was asking about SB and SB-E, and already selected an answer. Any further argument will be, indeed, wild speculation. It'd be good for the OP to wait, anyhow, because even if Bulldozer and SB-E aren't that good, they'll force the prices of the current SBs to drop and I already said that.

If the OP didn't bring it up then why did you comment on bulldozer, and in an unsubstantiated fashion?

I think you a logic refresher course. Something doesn't become speculation because someone has already selected a best answer.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Umm... I didn't mention Bulldozer until YOU brought it up - read the thread carefully. And it's speculation because there're no BD benchmarks, not because the OP selected an answer. I mentioned the answer being already selected because the OP most likely doesn't care any more and thus the argument is pointless, but we can keep it up if you want. :pfff:

I mention two chips about to launch, which almost always brings price drops. I didn't comment on either beyond that.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

Correct. And I said:

So far, no benchmarks of Bulldozer, and why? Most likely because it's not THAT great, and frankly, I'd stay with Intel. SB-E benchmarks already showed that there isn't much improvement for gaming. I'd wait for SB-E to decrease the price of 2600K and then get it, or get 2500K right away.

which is exactly that - wait for the price drop for 2600K or get the 2500K right away (no point in waiting for it to drop further, you might as well then wait for Ivy Bridge...)

Status
Not open for further replies.