Bad PSU or Mobo? need help, pc won't start.

chocobo684

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
Hey guys. my desktop turned off all of a sudden one time and won't turn back on and still won't. My first thought, it was the PSU but i think im wrong.

I did the paperclip test and the fan on the PSU DID spin, but it DID NOT spin (but twitch a little) when i did the test while all the PSU connectors are connected, except the ATX connector off course. But i think thats the wrong way of doing it.

So I unplugged all the connectors and did the paperclip test again. The fan spins, then I also test for voltage while the fan was spinning. All the voltage seemed normal (yellow: 12V, red: 5V, orange, 3.3V, blue: -12V, purple: 5V, grey: 5V).

So is it my Asus mobo? it's only been 4 months since i got it (Asus P5Q SE Plus). are there any other tests i can do??

thanks.

jimishtar

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
it's great brand. what about your components? can u tell the whole hardware u have? 400W seems little on the down side. maybe u need more power.

chocobo684

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
hmmm.....theres only 3 desktop in the house and they all get used regularly everyday so it'll be hard to find the time.

sorry forgot about the setup.
D2C E8400
Asus P5Q SE Plus mobo
Corsair XMS2 DDR2 1066 4GB
Nvidia 512MB 9800GT
Corsair 400CX PSU

i was told the PSU was able to keep up with the setup. I had this since mid April of this year. everything was running great til now.

jimishtar

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
hmm i'm pretty sure u need something like 500W, 450W at least. I won't be surprised if the psu is faulty. corsair is probably the best psu brand. get 500W.

G

Had you adjusted anything in the bio's? Try resetting to default bios settings. Also check for a bad ram module after you do your reset.

chocobo684

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
the PSU fired up normally on another desktop.

i never touched the bio's since i built it. i never knew anything useful on there.

i wouldn't suspect a bad ram, since if it was the case wouldn't it just freeze or act very slow? mine just completely shut off.

ill reset bios once i can get my PSU back.

G

I'm not sure without having seen it. I'm just saying it is a good place to start before an RMA of the board. If resetting the bio's does not do it and the PSU checks out than next is ram then M/B. Let us know. :??: