HD 6790 and proper PSU

jkrajcir

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011
I'm in need for some advice, recommendations and tips. I currently have a stock HP Pavillion P6000 series computer with all stock parts. I am planning on upgrading to a Mid-range GPU. I have done some research and found the HD 5770 would be good. Then the new HD 6790 came out very recently. I have changed my mind to getting that GPU because it's newer and figured it would work well with no problems for a long time. I have Dead Space 2 and some Steam games like Counter Strike Source. The GPU now in the PC is the integrated on into the motherboard, HD 4200 (only good for basic computer ussage.) Dead space 2 obviously runs terribly at about 10 fps(appears to be 10) with lowest settings and the resolution to the lowest. The processor in the PC is a AMD Athlon II X4 640 processor running 3ghz. OS is windows 7 home premium 64bit. Will the 6790 bottleneck the processor (still not 100% sure what bottleneck means and what happens to the PC). The PSU that came with the computer is 250w and was wondering if this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371035 PSU would work fine without any trouble or hiccups.

If you have any questions regarding the configurations and components of my PC, i will answer as best as i can.

:D

thats a great PSU. you could actually get the antec 380w earthwatts psu and be able to run up to a 6850. I would get the less powerful antec and get the 6850. the 6790 actually uses more power but gives less performance. Most people in the know would avoid the 6790. especially since the price difference from that to 6850 is minimal. even a gtx460 would be a better choice.

That's a great psu and video card choice for your system, however you need to make sure the card will fit in your case and you need to make sure the case you have takes a standard ATX power supply and not a slim or proprietary one. Some pre-builts also have proprietary mobo power connectors.

shrkbay

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2011
what is your resolution? bottleneck means that your CPU is limiting your GPU, the combo that Flightsimluke listed is really great and would make you see a huge improvement, probably would run Dead Space 2 on max's, your CPU won't bottleneck anything, it's a good, stable and old-school Quad-Core CPU, mostly it depends on your resolution, if you have low resolution then 5770 would do the job fine...

antec dont overcharge you, that psu is more $ than equivelant antec models. What are you smoking? this is a better deal at the moment http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341022 but he doesnt really need that much power.

jkrajcir

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011
First off, thank you for the reply's!

I will probably end up getting this PSU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207012&Tpk=xfx%20pro450w . I have heard that the 6850 was better than the 6790 with the 6850 costing a little bit more. I hope that it will fit. I have opened up the computer to check out the things in it like the PSU wattage. I didn't measure the possible space the graphics card would have, but it appeared it would be fine. Going to double check sometime soon. I will do a little research on the two graphics and come to a conclusion. Which brand should I get? XFX, HIS, Sapphire, and some other brands i haven't named off. Is there a huge deference besides the look of it and price and warranty's the company offer? Which brand should i get?

My PC is probably ATX. It appears to be so im guessing whatever PSU will be good.

jkrajcir

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011
The maximum resolution in Dead space 2 is 1600x900. thats the highest it will give me. In the Catalyst Control Center it says that its maximum reported resolution is 1920x1080. The monitor i have is a HP 2010i. 20 inches LCD.

Does that mean if i get a new graphics card my resolution or will it stay at 1600x900. The box says the monitors resolution is 1600x900.

jkrajcir

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011
I have decided to get that XFX 450 power supply and the XFX HD 6850. I will probably get both off of amazon because they are a few dollars cheaper and free shipping there.

Since you guys are already here, i have one more question that is slightly off topic of the category of this forum. My brother and I will be build a computer soon. Is there any product suggestions or tips you guys have?

Much appreciated, Joe

jkrajcir

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011
I guess we could try via email. Not sure on how much he will be spending on it but i will be guessing $1000 at the very most. Probably around 500 to 750. But that is my guess so im not 100% sure.

I have seen the article on Tom's Hardware about a 500 dollar gaming build so i will also take that into consideration for advice.